Sailing Overseas!!! Help Needed!!!

ehaas

I have cruised three times. Once to Alaska on NCL which I really like the freestyle sailing. Once on the Princess a seven day Western Caribbean which we loved and a 3 day Disney Cruise was our first cruisewhen my son was 11 years old.

We are thinking about a Mediterrian Cruise and have seen cruises 7 days, 12 day all the way to 30 days and more. I think maybe a 12 day is what we are looking at but was wondering about best ports etc to start from. Looking for any ideas. Thanks.

We did a med cruise (Crystal Serentity) back in early September 2003. We started in Athens, then Santorini, Dubrovnik, Venice, Sorento, Monte Carlo and ended up in Barcelona. While we had a great time in all of the ports I would suggest trying to see Venice, Barcelona and/or Athens if possible. I'm not sure if I'd want to start or end my cruise in Venice due to transportation challanges that Venice has and/or the higher cost if you want to stay pre/post cruise.

I would agree with your thought on a 12 day cruise for the med as you'll spend a full day plus flying over and most of a day flying back. We did two days pre-cruise in Athens and one day post cruise in Barcelona. We found plenty to do in these ports and the pre-cruise stay helped us get over the jet-lag from the flight over.

I'd also suggest the early September timeframe, as the weather should be warm but not too hot, Europe will be back from vacation and the kids will be back in school.

I'd also suggest the Eyewitness Travel Guides series (www.dk.com). They have very good maps and plenty of walking tours, etc.

Good Luck and Have Fun...Mark

We also did a Med cruise as our first European cruise and then did a Transatlantic this spring. Because of the long and expensive flights to get back and forth I would think that you would want to spend at least a couple of weeks in Europe while you are there. If you have a particular interest in a country you might do a seven day cruise and then spend another 7 days on land but for your first experience I would agree one of the 12-14 day cruises either in Med, in the Baltic or there are some that do the great capitals of Europe that include some of each.

Be sure to spend time on the Europe board on CC. There is lots of great information there.

Have a great next cruise.

Thanks for the ideas. I will have to travel in June or July. We are just starting to look and appreciate all the ideas and assistance.

I would go as early in June as you can. It get pretty hot over there.

If you like smaller ships try Orientlines or Oceania cruises they are port intensive and usually 12 +days.

Archived