the OCEANOS

Cruise Dragon

My wife and I just watched the National Geographic Channel's "Cruise Ship Rescue" on the OCEANOS disaster. It's criminal that the some of the ship's Officer's and some crew got off before any of the passangers knew there was a problem. I think that any of the crew that got off the ship before all of the the passangers should be prosecuted to the fullust extent of the law. The Captain did not go on the lifeboats but as soon as the rescue copters came he was the first one to be airlifted off the ship. Any Captain who is not the last person off a sinking ship should have his license revoked for ever and never work on the sea again. The Captain said he left when he did so he could cooridnate the rescue from shore. That's bull!!

I posted here because I was reading the posts here to prepare for my cruise in a month and I was here. I'm sorry if I broke protocol, but I see alot of posts that are not about Celebrity cruises

No ill will intended :) I just wondered if there was something I was missing in your message.

Hey, CD, I had the same reaction. My blood ran cold every time the captain was mentioned.

It was an example of both some of the most dastardly actions at sea and at the same time of some of the mosts heroic. The entertainers deserved gold medals while the captain should have been made to walk the plank. And of course the South African military helicopter pilots were magnificent, as well as the navy divers.

Who kept the passengers from lynching ship's officers after they all were safely on shore?

love

joan

It did make us angry also and made me think of the possibility of it happening again. I hope not and it won't make me stop cruising. They were Greek officers, and in 1991 not sure if Celebrity was owned by Chandros? Although I guess any ship could have Greek officers. Just a thought....

Archived