Ports of Moorea and Papeete on EASTER

seattle sojourner

I just reserved space on the Golden Princess April 1 sailing to Hawaii and Tahiti and have discovered that most of the time in Polynesia will occur on religious holidays. I'm concerned that the stores, tours and restaurants will not be available those days (April 19 and 20, 2014). I'd hate for my one chance to see Tahiti to not have access to the things I want to do. Anyone have information or suggestions?

I just reserved space on the Golden Princess April 1 sailing to Hawaii and Tahiti and have discovered that most of the time in Polynesia will occur on religious holidays. I'm concerned that the stores, tours and restaurants will not be available those days (April 19 and 20, 2014). I'd hate for my one chance to see Tahiti to not have access to the things I want to do. Anyone have information or suggestions?

Can't comment about Easter Sunday, but we took the same cruise this past April, 2013 and were in Paeete on a Sunday. The Princess and private planned tours went on as scheduled, but very few stores were open during the day. On Moorea, there are only 2 general stores for locals, both are a short walk from the tender pier. The stores are very small. There is no town or main street in Moorea. Homes are just spread around the road that circles the island. To see the island you must take a tour. You can also take some beach/snorkel trips. I think any booked tour will go as planned.

I would concur on Tahiti. Take a tour, they will go as scheduled let it be the ships or private.

On Moorea there are 2 mooring locations, one in each of the main bays. If you moor in Opunohu Bay the tender location will be the small marina at Papetoai. Not much close by other than 2 small stores. You could take a long walk and go to your right when hitting the main road, the IC resort will be 1.6 miles. They offer day use rates which include lunch and bar.

The other location is Cooks bay with the tender drop off located at a small dock next to the Kaveka Hotel. There are a few shops and market within easy walking distance. If you go to your left on the main road you will come to the main village on the island, about 1 mile. I'm sure there will be a few things open.

Your best bet is to take a tour or rent a car. I would assume the car rental places will have cars ready to go at either tender location as this is the norm even on holidays.

Here is my link to the must do's for Moorea and the contact links. Enjoy ..

Must Do's Moorea

Archived