Would love to see an UBP Light

cacj

There is no hangover. That's the point of the UBP - you just drink right through whatever hangover you would otherwise have. Who said you can't have a whiskey and soda at 9am?!?! Great fun!

Lmao to this reply. That was me except it Grey Goose Orange & cranberry juice.

:D

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

I know it all varies, but I would say that overall, NCL makes out big time on the UBP. Probably only a small percentage of people drink enough over the entire cruise to see a substantial savings over buying drinks individually. Especially factoring in that in that case, they would probably not drink as many drinks as if they had the UBP.

The other suggestion, a Drink Punch Card, in my own case, NCL would probably do better because without it, (and I'm not purchasing the UBP), I will probably drink a relatively small number of drinks on this cruise, I would say 2 to 3 a day, or less, with some days maybe not having any. If I had a Drink Punch Card, with a reasonable per drink price ($5 to $7), I would probably drink more than if I pay one at a time. And I would be fine with the punch card being non-refundable, for unused drinks, so NCL might make out if someone buys more than they need, or get sick and stop drinking, whatever.

The big killer with the UBP is the requirements to have both of a couple buy it and to have to buy it for every frickin day of the cruise. Instead of just certain days. Either way, remember their actual cost per drink, (to NCL itself), is probably about $1 per, no matter what kind of drink, due to wholesale pricing and buying in huge quantities.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

The big killer with the UBP is the requirements to have both of a couple buy it and to have to buy it for every frickin day of the cruise. Instead of just certain days. Either way, remember their actual cost per drink, (to NCL itself), is probably about $1 per, no matter what kind of drink, due to wholesale pricing and buying in huge quantities.

Well, they also have to pay the bartenders, other bar staff, maintain the space, etc. That said, it's common(ish) knowledge that the extra the boats make on drinks goes in part to offset the price of everything else. If we save on drinks, the cruise rates go up.

Some interesting replies here.

Oh, well, we were just looking at the idea as another way to prepay with getting a little discount.

Seems our idea is not so good.

We don't drink enough to be at all enticed by the UBP. Our imbibing might go up with a prepaid punch card, and of course, if we had to both buy them, NCL is guaranteed our drink purchases.

When we pay as we go, my DH is less likely to have a drink...I will usually at least have a glass of wine with dinner, but he will forego that as a rule (he just hates paying for huge markups).

I guess I haven't given the idea a good look. Thanks for the discussion, and I love some of the responses...you guys are funny.

Seems our idea is not so good.
I think it's a good idea, and it's exactly the same idea as the UBP: the more you drink, the less you pay per drink. The cruise line continues to make a profit, and you feel like you got a deal: win-win. However, it's normal that someone who commits to 10 drinks over the course of several days should see less of a discount per drink than someone who commits to the UBP for the entire length of the cruise.

As for offering the UBP on a day-by-day basis: fugeddaboutit. Not for $49, anyway, which would be much too cheap, and charging a lot more would encourage people to go way over their limit and by the end of the first sea day we'd have to transform one of the lower decks into a prison/morgue.