Would love to see an UBP Light

cacj

We do enjoy an occasional cocktail or wine with dinner. Wouldn't it be great if there were a "light" version of the UBP?

If one could have a package that had a limited number of drinks vs. the unlimited, it would allow us to prepay for our beverages. This would be a welcome addition to us. Of course, paying as we go (card signing) is okay, but we would feel more "freestyling" if we knew our beverages were prepaid and available.

Any downside to this idea?

I don't get what you're saying. There already is a limited package... it's called your ship card.

Even with the UBP one still must sign the ticket each time.

Other options include pre-paying for OBC and purchasing a bar setup for your room.

Not sure how you "feel" that your beverages could be any more "available" than they already are... :confused:

We do enjoy an occasional cocktail or wine with dinner. Wouldn't it be great if there were a "light" version of the UBP?

If one could have a package that had a limited number of drinks vs. the unlimited, it would allow us to prepay for our beverages. This would be a welcome addition to us. Of course, paying as we go (card signing) is okay, but we would feel more "freestyling" if we knew our beverages were prepaid and available.

Any downside to this idea?

Are you asking for a package that you prepay that would allow you let's say 10 drinks per person in the cabin for the length of the cruise at a reduced price?

I understand what the OP is trying to say. Based on the number of drinks DH and I average daily, the UBP would be much more expensive than just buying by the drink. But those who drink significantly more, and buy the UBP, are getting a significant break on the cost of booze on the cruise based on reports I have read here of savings of $200 or $300 or more on what they would have spent on a per drink basis.

It does seem a little unfair that I have to pay more per drink than some simply because I drink less.;)

I understand what the OP is trying to say. Based on the number of drinks DH and I average daily, the UBP would be much more expensive than just buying by the drink. But those who drink significantly more, and buy the UBP, are getting a significant break on the cost of booze on the cruise based on reports I have read here of savings of $200 or $300 or more on what they would have spent on a per drink basis.

It does seem a little unfair that I have to pay more per drink than some simply because I drink less.;)

It's really not unfair. Try thinking of it this way. You want some gourmet pumpkin pie and the bakery is selling it at $4.00 per slice, but if you wish to buy the whole pie (assuming there are 6 slices) the cost is $21.00. It's unlikely that anyone would question this or think it was unusual.

I understand what the OP is saying. We are not big enough drinkers to justify the UBP cost but would like a better break on drinks than normal prices since we will still have quite a few.

I will probably do a bar set up but I hate to be limited to one type of booze the whole trip. I do enjoy the umbrella drinks and martini's too.

It's really not unfair. Try thinking of it this way. You want some gourmet pumpkin pie and the bakery is selling it at $4.00 per slice, but if you wish to buy the whole pie (assuming there are 6 slices) the cost is $21.00. It's unlikely that anyone would question this or think it was unusual.

Perhaps "unfair" was the wrong term to use. But the bakery is not going to allow the customer to get 20 pies for the $21 price. He would have to spend $21 per pie and therefore his price per slice remains constant, whereas with the UBP, you pay one price and consume as many pies, er drinks, as you wish. The more drinks you have, the lower your price per drink becomes.

So I pay $8 to $10 per drink, while the person with the UBP may pay only $3 per. I wonder if anyone has ever figured it out on a per drink basis. I am happy for the UBP folks, just wish I could take advantage of the savings as well. :)

Perhaps "unfair" was the wrong term to use. But the bakery is not going to allow the customer to get 20 pies for the $21 price. He would have to spend $21 per pie and therefore his price per slice remains constant, whereas with the UBP, you pay one price and consume as many pies, er drinks, as you wish. The more drinks you have, the lower your price per drink becomes.

So I pay $8 to $10 per drink, while the person with the UBP may pay only $3 per. I wonder if anyone has ever figured it out on a per drink basis. I am happy for the UBP folks, just wish I could take advantage of the savings as well. :)

I figure that at least I don't have to worry so much about being hungover the whole trip as I might be with the UBP! Just kidding.

I figure that at least I don't have to worry so much about being hungover the whole trip as I might be with the UBP! Just kidding.

There is no hangover. That's the point of the UBP - you just drink right through whatever hangover you would otherwise have. Who said you can't have a whiskey and soda at 9am?!?! Great fun!

There is no hangover. That's the point of the UBP - you just drink right through whatever hangover you would otherwise have. Who said you can't have a whiskey and soda at 9am?!?! Great fun!

And on the seventh day he came to the end of his UBP; and on the seventh day he took his rest from all the drinking which he had done.

Seems to me another line sold beverage cards - that would be an interesting option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on HAL seversl years ago and you could buy a drknk card or wine card for 10 drinks - can't remember how much it saved us but when it ran out we were allowed to purchase another one. It save us some money and was easy to use.

Wow, $375 divided by $3 equals 125 drinks over 7 days. That's a very unhealthy amount of drinking.

You can take advantage of the savings. All you have to do is buy the UBP and drink as much as they do. Problem solved!

Note: this will cost you more than your current plan.

We were on HAL seversl years ago and you could buy a drknk card or wine card for 10 drinks - can't remember how much it saved us but when it ran out we were allowed to purchase another one. It save us some money and was easy to use.

That would be great, like a punch card. 10 drinks (anything) for $50.

That would be great, like a punch card. 10 drinks (anything) for $50.

I like your plan, Drafter! Almost like the UBP, but broken down on a daily basis. You could take a week or a few days to use the 10 drinks, or go all out and use them in one evening.:cool:. Then nothing the next day while you nurse a hangover and then buy a new card for the following day:D.

Seriously, is there any reason why NCL could not allow us to purchase a 10 drink punch card at the UBP daily rate on a daily basis, other than the fact that they would prefer that we buy a full 7 day one? DH and I would definitely be in line to buy a few of these on each cruise.

Edited by punkincc

Seriously, is there any reason why NCL could not allow us to purchase a 10 drink punch card at the UBP daily rate on a daily basis, other than the fact that they would prefer that we buy a full 7 day one? DH and I would definitely be in line to buy a few of these on each cruise.

Because they would rather you pay full price for those drinks! The price of the UBP is pretty steep - probably more than the amount that most folks would pay for drinks. We are thinking of it, although our bar bill would probably be a little less, just for the ease. Booze revenue is what keeps the cruiselines in business.

Because they would rather you pay full price for those drinks! The price of the UBP is pretty steep - probably more than the amount that most folks would pay for drinks. We are thinking of it, although our bar bill would probably be a little less, just for the ease. Booze revenue is what keeps the cruiselines in business.

Exactly. NCL makes money on the UBP, believe it or not.

I asked an HD and he told me:

-NCL wouldn’t offer it if it was not a money maker—it’s not done a loss-leader.

-Many people make-out on the UBP, but more do not.

-Pax tend to start-off with a bang, but fade quickly as the week progresses.

-It works better for the pax on TA’s or cruises with a lot of sea days.

-It doesn’t work so well on port intensive cruises as pax go to bed earlier to get up early.

-And you can’t use it if you are off the ship on an excursion.

Oh, BTW, “just for the ease”. It is the same process to buy a drink whether you have UBP or not.

People this is incredible. Think of it as if you were at a holiday resort and have the option of going all inclusive for a supplement. You pay that and. An drink all, you want , or you don't and pay regular drink prices. I have never heard of a let me choice the amount I drink and give me a discount.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, $375 divided by $3 equals 125 drinks over 7 days. That's a very unhealthy amount of drinking.

Wait a second. Isn't the UBP $55 a day? (including the 15% gratuity) To get to a price point of $3, a person would have to consume 18 drinks a day. That's pretty tough to do & remain upright. And.......... it would probably be damn near impossible to do it for multiple consecutive days.

Why do so many people think only drunks purchase the UBP & that they save money? If that were the case, NCL wouldn't be making any money and the price would have increased or they would stop selling it. Even big drinkers can't sustain that pace for long periods of time.

Years ago when we sailed the MSC Orchestra - they had the option of purchasing a beer booklet. Was 10 beers for $32.50. (This was quite a while ago!!) Discount was about 25%.

I liked this better than getting a bucket. I could get a beer when I wanted to and didn't have to worry how I was going to keep the rest of the beers cold, etc.

They would probably still make money off a booklet of sorts. Lots of folks would probably buy it and not use it's full value.

Wait a second. Isn't the UBP $55 a day? (including the 15% gratuity) To get to a price point of $3, a person would have to consume 18 drinks a day. That's pretty tough to do & remain upright. And.......... it would probably be damn near impossible to do it for multiple consecutive days.

Why do so many people think only drunks purchase the UBP & that they save money? If that were the case, NCL wouldn't be making any money and the price would have increased or they would stop selling it. Even big drinkers can't sustain that pace for long periods of time.

Only going by what I have read here on Cruise Critic where certain UBP purchasers claim to have saved hundreds over the cost of buying the drinks they consumed individually. Don't actually know what the actual cost per drink came to, I just threw out the $3 figure to illustrate my point that those UBP drinkers can get a significant discount on what their drinks actually cost them compared to us light weights.

You are probably right about some cruisers thinking they will get a great bargain with the UBP by grossly overestimating how much they can and will drink on a cruise. I am sure NCL knows whether or not they are making a profit. As long as they continue to offer it, I think we can assume there are not too many people who actually save any money.

Only going by what I have read here on Cruise Critic where certain UBP purchasers claim to have saved hundreds over the cost of buying the drinks they consumed individually. Don't actually know what the actual cost per drink came to, I just threw out the $3 figure to illustrate my point that those UBP drinkers can get a significant discount on what their drinks actually cost them compared to us light weights.

You are probably right about some cruisers thinking they will get a great bargain with the UBP by grossly overestimating how much they can and will drink on a cruise. I am sure NCL knows whether or not they are making a profit. As long as they continue to offer it, I think we can assume there are not too many people who actually save any money.