Construction in Key West

waterbugohio

I have read that there is lots of construction going on in Key West?

Can anyone tell me what and where there is construction? We are heading down in two weeks and wondered if there are areas we should avoid???

All that I am aware of is construction along N. Roosevelt Blvd kind of along Smathers Beach - th eseawall, sidewalk and road. If you are driving in you might have to follow detour signs to get to Old Town. If flying the cab driver will know how to go. And it would be hard to stay at a lace where this would affect you otherwise. Maybe the Sheration Suites.

http://www.fdotmiamidade.com/current-projects/monroe-county/sr-5-north-roosevelt-blvd-from-eisenhower-drive-to-us-1-in-key-west.html

Pjk

OK, this is where I am a little confused. In looking at a map, N. Roosevelt Blvd is not what runs in front of the Sheraton. According to google maps. S, Roosevelt Blvd is the address for the Sheraton and Smathers Beach.

Is this correct?? We are driving in and just wondered how bad it was?? It looks like when you get to Roosevelt Blvd you can go North or South and end up downtown either way. Just curious. Any locals??

South Roosevelt runs in front of Sheraton Suites, not North Roosevelt. North Roosevelt is currently under a major reconstruction. You will also notice just as you enter Key West that four hotels are under a major reconstruction project too. The hotel construction won't be any problem for you. It just doesn't look very pretty right now. The hotels are supposed to be finished in 2014.

You can get into Key West's Old Town area without ever using North Roosevelt. We usually avoid North Roosevelt anyway because it can be pretty heavy with traffic. It is a major commercial area with strip malls, grocery stores, Home Depot, Sears, gas stations, fast food joints and the like.

South Roosevelt is definitely the more scenic route.

Yes the construction is on North Roosevelt not South where Sheraton Suites and Smathers beach is located.

Waterbugohio you are correct, Peter's post is incorrect.

Mike:)

Mike, thank you. Just making sure which way to "go around"

Been two years since we were there and can't wait to go back. 11 days and counting. Spending three nights in Key West and then 2 more nights in Marathon. Hoping to do alot of exploring of all the Keys.

Turn left as you enter Key West and take South Roosevelt around. I also would not worry about it too much. I live here and I have almost never added more then 10 minutes to prior travel times. Now that they made North Roosevelt 2 ways again, it is not confusing to get around like it was when the street was one way inbound only.

There is no construction in old-town, around Duval St. or the ports. The only people that are impacted are those that drive along the blvd from old town into new town.

Many of the hotels on that route are also under construction.

Smathers beach is fine. None of the restaurants or hotels along that route are under construction either.

Visitors who arrive via a cruise ship and stay in the old town area will never even see the construction. Not to worry.

We drive to Key West every couple of months and stay in a hotel on South Roosevelt each time. We were just there last weekend. Because we don't live in Key West, we have a tourists' point of view rather than a residents' point of view. We found North Roosevelt kind of confusing right now because of all the large orange barrels that mark the lanes. Luckily cars in front of us seemed to know where they were going and we followed them.

Anyway, we stayed on the southern end of the island and made our way into Old Town that way. That said, traffic conditions are much improved over what they were a year ago when our son got married in Key West last year at this same time.

I don't think the OP will have any problem and need not worry about construction. When entering Key West, having passed the golf course, Hyatt vacation club and Marriott on your right, just turn left where the road forks into North and South Roosevelt.

Now that N Roosevelt has lanes open in both directions, it's not quite as bad as it's been for the past year. However, there are back-ups near the intersections of Kennedy and the Overseas Market. When inbound, the left lane suddenly turns into a turn lane at Kennedy, and thus confuses some folks. One drive through and you'll get it though. All the hotels near the intersection of Roosevelt and US1 are being demolished, including the Radisson that housed Denny's. That whole area will eventually be a convention center.

Just confirming....the others are correct by saying the construction is NOT near Smathers Beach and that is, in fact, South Roosevelt. I recommend using South Roosevelt and Flagler to get across the island.

Archived