Q re alternative luggage delivery services for a Seabourn cruise

DC Traveler244

My husband and I are preparing for a December 11 cruise on the Quest from Valparaiso to BA. We've used Luggage Forward for past Seabourn cruises and have been happy with the service. The company is Seabourn's "exclusive luggage delivery partner" per Seabourn's website

However, after arranging for the upcoming pickup (in 3 weeks), we discovered that Luggage Forward had immediately put through credit card charges for the full round trip (both for shipping our bags to the ship in Valparaiso and from the ship in BA). The company hasn't done this in the past, and didn't advise us that they were going to do it this time. When we questioned them, they acknowledged that charging everything upfront was a new policy -- you pay for the round trip as soon as the booking is made.

We're concerned about this change in practice. We don't like that it wasn't disclosed upfront, and we worry that it might indicate a cash-flow problem. I've done some checking online, and it seems that most luggage services follow LF's former practice: they take a credit card number when a booking is made, but only put through charges when a pickup occurs and the bags can be weighed.

At any rate, we're sufficiently concerned that we're considering switching to an alternative service. I'd welcome suggestions re other reliable luggage delivery services that board members have used.

Thanks.

DC Traveler244, they really should have told you about this regardless of whether you have shipped with them in the past or using them for the first time.

With that said, I would not jump to the conclusion that this represents a financial issue for them. I use two other companies that are very similar to Luggage Forward with each one being exclusive to another luxury line but also shipping to and other lines as does Luggage Forward.

One does not charge you credit card in advance and actually doesn't until after the luggage has been shipped. However, the other one does charge the fee up front and they have been doing this for several years.

Again, I think businesses should be up front about a credit card charge like the one you just incurred.

You do have protection in many ways (not all but many) by using a credit card.

Keith

Keith, thanks for your reply. It's helpful to know that LF isn't unique in charging everything upfront, and that at least one company has been doing this for several years.

I agree that the key issue is disclosure: customers should be told upfront when/how shipping charges will be applied to their credit cards.

I have been dealing with LF for quite a few years and would give them 10+10 for

customer service. Also I discovered it is much less expensive if you deal with them

direct and they will also take off the 20% that Seabourn advertise for being a

'diamond member'. Seabourn are charging over $100 more for the exact same

package which proves the 'diamond' status is not worth the paper it is written on.

I have been dealing with LF for quite a few years and would give them 10+10 for

customer service. Also I discovered it is much less expensive if you deal with them

direct and they will also take off the 20% that Seabourn advertise for being a

'diamond member'. Seabourn are charging over $100 more for the exact same

package which proves the 'diamond' status is not worth the paper it is written on.

Good to know!!

Host Dan