More Menus from Maasdam......Boston to Montreal Itinerary

sail7seas

I've already posted menus for Saturday and Sunday so next I'll post Monday's menu (per request of Lomo for me to post more of them. :) )

Monday June 13, 2005

Appetizers

Watermelon Cocktail - basted with fresh orange mint syrup

Oyster Rockefeller - the All-American classic baked on the half shell with fresh chopped spinach and topped with crunchy golden crumbs. Served with a briny fresh seaweed salad.

Thai Crispy Spring Roll - on brightly seasoned rice noodle salad with a sweet chili sauce for dipping.

Soups & Salads

Cream of Double Baked Potato - satin-smooth puree of Cheddar cheese, with sour cream and tiny ringlets of chives

Grandma's Chicken Noodle - restorative, well-seasoned chicken broth with crisp garden vegetables and tender vermicelli noodles.

Chilled Curried Apple - with a kick of green curry, sprinkled with tiny diced Granny Smith apples

Californian Gourmet Greens - topped with creamy herbed goat cheese, toasted pecans, sun-warmed cherry tomatoes and fresh orange segments

Entrees

Mushroom Ravioli - plump and savory ravioli in a garlic cream sauce with a forest mushroom and tomato ragout

Atlantic Sole Fillet with Smoked Salmon - on fluffy bean puree with fresh spinach and a punchy relish of tomato, smoked salmon, bacon and shallot

Braised Lamb Shanks - in a rich-flavored red wine sauce with stewed root vegetables on roasted garlic mashed potatoes

New England Smoked Meat Platter - delicate pork ribs, smoked kielbasa and pork loin on a bed of Champagne-simmered sauerkraut with mashed potatoes

Ginger Grilled Half Chicken and Peaches - served with creamed potatoes and pesto-sauteed zucchini with garlicky red pepper

American Prime Rib of Beef au Jus - slow roasted to exquisite tenderness and carved to your order. Served with a crisp vegetable ribbon bouquet and steamy baked potato

Leek and Broccoli Flan - delicate tasting yet healthy with orzo pasta, fresh basil and grill-kissed tomato

Daily Alternatives

Traditional Caesar Salad

Grilled Salmon - Seared Chicken Breast - Grilled Sirloin Steak

Baked Potato w/ sour cream, bacon bits and chives available upon request.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Appetizers

Tropical Fruit Medley - a colorful quarter of mango, papaya, kiwi and lychees laced with a passion fruit coulis and garnished with lotus fruit and mint

Chef's Country Pate - a savory duck, pistachio and Port wine pate, with lingoberry marmalade and a crunchy Waldorf salad

Cantaloupe Wedge with Crabmeat Salad - a delicate blend of crabmeat, mayonnaise, celery and red bell peppers spooned into a wedge of cantaloupe and drizzled with a red cocktail sauce

Crabmeat Stuffed Mushrooms - delicate crabmeat folded with celery, onions and cream cheese, spooned into large button mushrooms and baked until golden brown

Soups & Salads

Green Pea Soup - simmered until meltingly rich with meaty ham hocks, celeriac and smoked sausage

American Vegetable "Petite Marmite" - a slowly cooked vegetable soup w/ diced carrots, turnips and celery, lightly flavored with savory herbs

Chilled Three Berry Minnestrone - a bright blend of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries topped with tangy lime sorbet

Our House Salad - leaves of mild Boston lettuce with fresh tomato, cucumber, crisp red onion, chopped boiled egg, black olives and crunchy sunflower seeds

Entrees

Penne with Marinara and Red Chili Flakes - a racy sauce of sweet roasted garlic, tomatoes, salt-cured pancetta and peppery fresh basil. Topped with shaved Parmesan cheese

Pan Seared Pike Perch - with an irrestible hickory-smoked red pepper aioli, nicoise vegetables, and herb-scented sweet potato puree

American Pot Roast - slowly braised beef in a deeply rich red wine sauce with root vegetables, topped with frizzled onions and served with crisp-tender broccoli, baby carrots and parsley potatoes

French Cut Stuffed Pork Chop - sauteed pork chop topped with an herb spinach bread dressing and served with a green bean bundle, baby carrots and crisp roesti potatoes

Nasi Goreng Rijsttafel - multi-dish Indonesian fried rice feast with juicy pork sate, spicy chicken drumstick, beef Sumatra, scallions and julienne of omelet. Served with picked cucumber, crisp prawn crackers and crisp-creamy fried banana.

Duck Breast a la Orange - the old-time favorite, oven roasted until crisp and served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised magenta cabbage, peapods and William potato

Tofu Black Bean Vegetable Spring Roll - well-seasoned black beans rolled in a delicate egg roll wrapper with crispy bean curd. Golden-fried and served with a refreshing pineapple and raisin cole slaw.

Missed your first thread of menus and it doesn't seem to be on the first couple of pages of the board any more.

I like these menus - more appealing than the first set of new menus that was posted here a few months back. Some of the less sophisticated choices (e.g. meatloaf) are gone along with some fusion-ish items that sounded awkward to me (though for all I know they could have been delicious).

I gather from the Tuesday menu that there was no real Dutch Night (though fortunately, pea soup and nasi are still there). There has been some speculation that this is still done on cruises over 7 days (I hope it is).

The Monday menu... Should be a model for any cruise line that has an "American Night" (for those lines that still do "themed" dinners regularly). I have seen some awful "American" menus, and this one (even if it is not called that) is obviously meant to be American - but for a change it actually looks appealing.

Anyway, I like the look of the new menus and am looking forward to trying them out soon. The old menus were very good but for those who are fortunate enough to be able to cruise on a very frequent basis (I can't, but I know many of you can) I am sure they got a little boring.

Thanks Sail,

These menus are great and are different from the ones I saw from last year. I look forward to seeing the rest of the menus. I know how much work this is so I really appreciate your effort. I think others will be interested in the information as well.

Thank you so much,

Archived