Sanctuary on Golden Princess

MsSoCalCruiser

I stopped by the Sanctuary on my Golden Princess cruise. It was already booked up for the cruise so I was unable to spend any time there.

Just wondering... Have you ever spent the day at the Sanctuary on the Golden Princess? If so, do you have a favorite chair or location?

We had a week on the Golden on an Alaskan cruise.....we had a Sanctuary pass for the whole week. Even when it was rainy and cold, we enjoyed being out there. Our favorite spot was right behind the windscreen

Our favorite spot was right behind the windscreen
That is where attendants have recommended as the best spots. You're protected from the wind and rain. On those ships with the Sanctuary in the bow, it can get windy (although not nearly as windy as the Retreat pool area on the Royal) even if the ship is moving slowly.

Wow, we were on the Golden a week ago today, Sunday. There wasn't a soul there and I was shocked! Not much money was being spent on our cruise, bars and lounges were empty. People rushed to get seats outside the Explorer Lounge for the day, playing checkers, reading, ipad etc. Crown Grill was practically empty.

It was a great cruise, though:D

We had a week on the Golden on an Alaskan cruise.....we had a Sanctuary pass for the whole week. Even when it was rainy and cold, we enjoyed being out there. Our favorite spot was right behind the windscreen

That is where attendants have recommended as the best spots. You're protected from the wind and rain. On those ships with the Sanctuary in the bow, it can get windy (although not nearly as windy as the Retreat pool area on the Royal) even if the ship is moving slowly.

I feel silly for asking but I'm not sure what you are talking about. Is the windscreen the glass part in front of the first row of chairs or something above your head? :o

Wow, we were on the Golden a week ago today, Sunday. There wasn't a soul there and I was shocked! Not much money was being spent on our cruise, bars and lounges were empty. People rushed to get seats outside the Explorer Lounge for the day, playing checkers, reading, ipad etc. Crown Grill was practically empty.

It was a great cruise, though:D

On my cruise it was empty too but when I asked about the cost, I was told that it was all booked. People had already paid for their spots. It's nice that you can come and go as you please.

I feel silly for asking but I'm not sure what you are talking about. Is the windscreen the glass part in front of the first row of chairs or something above your head? :o

yes, you are correct.....glass windscreen in front of the first row of chairs plus the awning overhead.

It's a glass windscreen that allows you to see forward but protects you from the wind.

This is on the Sapphire but will give you an idea:

ImageUploadedByForums1383507932.388481.jpg.ea4c6f6eb73e6d537db417960ec04a44.jpg

It's a glass windscreen that allows you to see forward but protects you from the wind.

This is on the Sapphire but will give you an idea:

[ATTACH]291805[/ATTACH]

Thank you Pam for taking the time to post the photo for me. Looking at that photo brings back memories. On my next cruise, I want to book this area for the entire cruise. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
so on a 4 day cruise to mexico in 6 days -this costs more... any idea how much, and what do you get? And where do you pay/reserve? can you do it online ahead of time?

The cost is 15.00 a day when you book the entire cruise. When you just book a single day its 20.00. This may change ship to ship, I believe its more on the Royal. You can also book a 1/2 day if there are available slots open. Jim

so on a 4 day cruise to mexico in 6 days -this costs more... any idea how much, and what do you get? And where do you pay/reserve? can you do it online ahead of time?

Sorry, forgot to answer the rest of your question, when you first board is the time to reserve for the entire trip and choose your seat. Otherwise, you have to show up in the early am for one days booking. I'm thinking its 8 AM or 8:30, just ask in the sanctuary when you check it out upon boarding. It will be open for preview and entire cruise booking. Jim

so is the fee to just use the first seats close to the front window or to get in? Can we go to the sanctuary anytime for free and use the back seats? If we pay is to for an assigned chair the whole cruise or just for a pass in and you select whatever is open each time your visit? and last, what are the hours that it is open... thanks so much

so is the fee to just use the first seats close to the front window or to get in? Can we go to the sanctuary anytime for free and use the back seats? If we pay is to for an assigned chair the whole cruise or just for a pass in and you select whatever is open each time your visit? and last, what are the hours that it is open... thanks so much

All the loungers are assigned, and access to the entire Sanctuary is only for those who have paid the fee.

If you purchase the Sanctuary for the entire cruise, on that first day, you will select your lounger and the attendant will mark it with your name on his seating chart. It's yours. If you book for the day or half-day, same thing: you're shown which are open and you pick and then that is yours for the hours you've booked.

I think it's open 8 - 5 or 8 - 6.

• 10 months later...

I am happy I found this thread. I want to book the Sanctuary for my 3 day cruise in November. I will drop my carryon in my cabin and then up to the Sanctuary to book behind the wind screen. Wish me luck!!!:D:D:D

On a November 2013 Caribbean cruise we did not book for the week so we had to stand in line every morning - I would arrive around 6:45am and I was always 5th or 6th in line. If there was still availability when they reach me - my husband and I would not be able to be next to each other.

The thing I don't like about how they sign you up is they allow a single person book for a group of people at one time. I believe you should only be able to book for the total number of people in your cabin.

On the first day of that cruise a lady just ahead of us booked 16 lounges for a wedding party.

• 3 weeks later...
I am happy I found this thread. I want to book the Sanctuary for my 3 day cruise in November. I will drop my carryon in my cabin and then up to the Sanctuary to book behind the wind screen. Wish me luck!!!:D:D:D

Me too, only on my 5 day on CB!

We are just off the Caribbean Princess and I was quite surprised to discover the cost ... $30/day if you book for the entire cruise (which includes your check in day) or $40/day if you want fewer days. So, for our 5 day cruise, it would be an additional $300 for hubby and I. I had seen $15 and $20/day quoted as prices from posts here many times, not at all true for us! Such a disappointment!

Edited by MayasWay

I will drop my carryon in my cabin and then up to the Sanctuary to book behind the wind screen. Wish me luck!!!:D:D:D
I go right up with my carry-on. I'd rather a little inconvenience than miss out. Chances are there will be people doing B2Bs on your cruise and they can go up there before disembarking and book their lounger. Whichever of you two gets there first can reserve for the other. They should let them sign the receipt when they go up later. Edited by Pam in CA

We are just off the Caribbean Princess and I was quite surprised to discover the cost ... $30/day if you book for the entire cruise (which includes your check in day) or $40/day if you want fewer days. So, for our 5 day cruise, it would be an additional $300 for hubby and I. I had seen $15 and $20/day quoted as prices from posts here many times, not at all true for us! Such a disappointment!

Those prices were quoted last year when this thread was origionally started. Also, we never were charged for embarkment day when booking entire cruise

I go right up with my carry-on. I'd rather a little inconvenience than miss out. Chances are there will be people doing B2Bs on your cruise and they can go up there before disembarking and book their lounger. Whichever of you two gets there first can reserve for the other. They should let them sign the receipt when they go up later.

Good point. I will go up first. Question for you, do they charge you for embarkation day?

Wait for me! :D

Ha! Pam says to not drop our carry on luggage and just go up. Since we are boarding together we can make the dash up there. I posted a question to Pam to find out if you have to pay for embarkation day. That may make me change my mind but not sure.

Can you believe it! Just a little over a week away. I need some shrimp salad from the IC and a martini from Crooner's.:D:D:D

Ha! Pam says to not drop our carry on luggage and just go up. Since we are boarding together we can make the dash up there. I posted a question to Pam to find out if you have to pay for embarkation day. That may make me change my mind but not sure.

Can you believe it! Just a little over a week away. I need some shrimp salad from the IC and a martini from Crooner's.:D:D:D

I don't remember for sure if I paid for embarkation day or not but I probably did. When I went it was $20 a day which isn't that bad. Did they raise the per day price to $40.00?

The Shrimp salad sounds so good right now. That and those yummy little cheesecakes. Oh, and a Malibu and diet coke :D :D :D