Viking River Management Disappoints

coasters

As members of the Viking River Explorer Society, now with 17 Viking referrals, we were excited to learn that we qualified for one free voyage ... Told about 6 months ago by Viking that we would be issued a voucher by years' end. Ready to book, now we're told that the agent to whom we had spoken was mistaken.

How disappointing... Here we were already planning for the next Viking River Cruise.... Only to find the Viking agent had misinformed us.

Although our travel agent has documented our earning the "free cruise" in several confirming contacts, seems the rules change depending on who you speak to.

Still think Viking does a great job, just upset that we had our hearts (and heads) set to take advantage of the Explorer program... only to be let down.

As members of the Viking River Explorer Society, now with 17 Viking referrals, we were excited to learn that we qualified for one free voyage ... Told about 6 months ago by Viking that we would be issued a voucher by years' end. Ready to book, now we're told that the agent to whom we had spoken was mistaken.

How disappointing... Here we were already planning for the next Viking River Cruise.... Only to find the Viking agent had misinformed us.

Although our travel agent has documented our earning the "free cruise" in several confirming contacts, seems the rules change depending on who you speak to.

Still think Viking does a great job, just upset that we had our hearts (and heads) set to take advantage of the Explorer program... only to be let down.

Just copied this from the Viking site!

VIKING REFERRAL REWARDS LEVELS

Level 1

New travelers referred: 1-12

Credits for each new traveler: $100

Level 2

New travelers referred: 13

Travel bonus: one free river cruise valued up to $3,300

Once you have received Referral Rewards for 13 new travelers within a given cruise season (a value of up to $4,500), your count resets to zero and you can start earning Level 1 benefits again right away.

EACH REFERRED PERSON SAVES

...$100 per person on their first trip.

HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?

Tell your friends about Viking River Cruises, and give them your customer number. When they call to book their trip, they tell us your name and customer number; you receive your Referral Reward, and they receive a $100 credit on their first trip on the spot.

Seems the referrals need to be 13 all in one cruise season????

Hope you get this worked out as you have certainly referred a lot of business to Viking.

Coasters -

How long did it take to get the referrals?

I do know that they still have the program, but all referrals need to be within a one year time frame. And, you don't get credit until the passenger form is filled in.

If you did get all of the referrals within one year, I would escalate this up the Viking chain - to the head of customer service if necessary....

Good Luck!!

Fran

Dear coasters,

There appears to have been some miscommunication regarding the Viking Referral Rewards program and how referrals work – and in particular how your referrals were being credited. For the frustration you've expressed, we do apologize. We are honored that you have referred so many first-time travelers to Viking Cruises, just as we are honored to have you be our guest time and time again. We have asked that a member of the team review your particular situation and contact you to further discuss the details.

If you are interested in reading more about Viking Referral Rewards, you can find information on our website, as nana541 has also shared, at http://www.vrc.com/referralrewards. Plus at the bottom of that website page, you’ll see a note to “Click Viking Referral Rewards to view detailed information about eligibility and restrictions” – which also may be of interest.

Again, thank you for choosing Viking Cruises for your travels. We look forward to having you as our guest again.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

TellUs@vikingcruises.com

I did find the printed information a bit difficult to understand, and called Viking (as I think I am pretty close to a free cruise....). I spoke to a wonderful woman named Roxanne - and she was very helpful. This is my understanding of the process... (I am sure that Viking will post in a correct me if I still don't have it right....)

You get $100 referral credit for each person you refer. The credit must be used within a year (ie: used to book a cruise, you don't have to travel within the year....)

After you have referred your 13th person - and they travel within a single calendar year - you are eligible for a free cruise - value of $3300. The free cruise is *ONLY* the cruise - and the voucher does not include any hotels or land portion in your itinerary. It also does not include port charges.

They will not send you the voucher until after all people have sailed (just in case someone cancels out). Again, you must use it within the year (booked, not travelled...) You can combine the free cruise and any referral credits that come your way.

By my calculations (confirmed by Roxanne) - if all people booked complete their cruise next year, I will receive a voucher at year's end. Unfortunately, many of my referral credits will have expired before then - so we are looking at booking before March 2014 for a trip in early 2015.

If all comes together and I get my free cruise at the end of 2014, then I will look at doing another cruise with Viking in 2016.

Hope this helps....

Fran

• 11 months later...
Whatever, or whomever ... Viking resolved this wonderfully.

We're just back from another delightful Romantic Danube cruise on the Njord.

Thanks guys, you're the best!!

Jerry

Good to know that Customer Service still exists, and that you are happy with the resolution. We go on our first Viking cruise in 6 1/2 weeks, and I can't wait.

I'm thinking the "biggy" is that the 13 referrals have to actually travel within a CALENDAR YEAR. Now that's a very very tall order!

Sure hope this all works out.

This was my first year to travel with Viking, and I also have referred several people to Viking. We went on the Imperial Jewels China trip in April and last month we did the Romantic Danube trip. We also are booked on the new Viking Star ocean cruise for 2015.

As of this writing, I have referred 4 people who traveled with Viking in 2014, I have referred 12 people who are sailing in 2015, and I referred 4 people who are sailing in 2016, so a total of 20 referrals.

What Viking told me was that in order to get the free cruise ($3300) you have to refer at least 13 people who travel in the same calendar year. So, I need only one more for 2015 since I have 12 already. Anyone need a referral? LOL!

They also told me they issue the vouchers at the end of the year so if at the end of 2015 at least 13 people complete their trip I will get the free cruise credit.

I am not sure if it was mentioned here, but not only does the referring person get $100 for referring someone to Viking, but the person receiving the referral gets $100 off (per person) towards the cruise they book.