Jeans at Lunchtime.

Alessandrina

Jeans are fine for breakfast and lunch. Technically, they are prohibited at dinner, however you will see plenty of them on non-formal nights, especially since Princess does not make it clear by posting contradictory information on their website and between their brochures and other printed documents.

I have seen jeans at breakfast and lunch but I never taken them. They take up valuable packing room. If I was doing the Alaska cruise, might consider it but if doing warm weather cruising find shorts or capris much more comforatable and pack easier.

Carol

The dress codes are very relaxed for breakfast and lunch, and it's open seating in the dining room. You do have to wear a shirt and shoes, and bathing suits must be covered up. Otherwise, you can dress in whatever way suits your plans for the day.

On my last cruise, I didn't eat any lunches at the dining room - one of my favorite things is having breakfast and lunch at an outside table, so we ate at the buffet. Unless you're going to Alaska....then I don't know if it would be too cold....I'm hoping it isn't on my cruise next year. Have fun on your cruise! Joan :)

It's fine for breakfast and lunch. Princess makes it pretty clear that it's not OK for any dinner.

Absolute nonsense. The Patter says no shorts or t-shirts every day. I wore jeans and nice shirt or jacket and looked a sight smarter than many.

Wear what you like, just look smart and you will offend nobody.

cat-nik -- review you patter, for hte past year every weeks patter has specifically forbidden jeans as has every cruise information brochure from princess.

jeans are forbidden at dinner .. that doesnt mean they wont let you in but why break the rules

First, let me say that I have never worn jeans to dinner while on a cruise.

I am sitting looking at the Patters from my June 4th sailing on the Diamond Princess. Cat-Nik is correct. At the top of the first page on every copy it gives the dress code that is requested for the evening. On every copy the only disclaimer is that "shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room". There is no mention of jeans (torn or otherwise) and that includes the Patters for formal night.

On page 2 of the 1st Patter of the week long cruise it outlines the Dress codes. It states,

"During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested. Guidelines for wear from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal: A dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and ablouse or trouser suit outfit for ladies. shorts and T-shrits are not permitted in the dining rooms."

I note that the dress code is "suggested" and "guidelines" only. I wonder if this is the case only when sailing in Alaska or is Princess becoming more relaxed with their dress code than ever? I'll be looking at the Patters on my next Caribbean cruise....but I still won't wear jeans :D !

I have been on two Princess cruises in the last year aboard the Sapphire (Mexico) and Regal (Alaska) and none of the patters said anything about jeans being prohibited. I specifically looked because I had read the debate on these boards.

The only place I have ever read that jeans are prohibited (besides on CruiseCritic) was in the cruise answer book that I received right before my Sapphire cruise. However, I never would have noticed it had I not been specifically looking for it. After all, by the time you get your cruise answer book you have probably already read all the brochures (mine only mentioned "torn" jeans) and studied the Princess website (again, I only found reference to "torn" jeans), so many people may not even bother reading the cruise answer book since it presumably contains the same information.

I think Princess keeps it ambiguous on purpose so that they can try to please everybody. All I know is that I saw plenty of jeans on my two cruises and even wore them myself a few times.

cat-nik -- review you patter, for hte past year every weeks patter has specifically forbidden jeans as has every cruise information brochure from princess.

jeans are forbidden at dinner .. that doesnt mean they wont let you in but why break the rules

First, let me say that I have never worn jeans to dinner while on a cruise.

I am sitting looking at the Patters from my June 4th sailing on the Diamond Princess. Cat-Nik is correct. At the top of the first page on every copy it gives the dress code that is requested for the evening. On every copy the only disclaimer is that "shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room". There is no mention of jeans (torn or otherwise) and that includes the Patters for formal night.

On page 2 of the 1st Patter of the week long cruise it outlines the Dress codes. It states,

"During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested. Guidelines for wear from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal: A dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and ablouse or trouser suit outfit for ladies. shorts and T-shrits are not permitted in the dining rooms."

I note that the dress code is "suggested" and "guidelines" only. I wonder if this is the case only when sailing in Alaska or is Princess becoming more relaxed with their dress code than ever? I'll be looking at the Patters on my next Caribbean cruise....but I still won't wear jeans :D !

That's the one. I wish people would chill out instead of getting so het up about what other people look like. Some of the scruffyest people on our last cruise did not wear jeans!

I want to thank you for the comments. My DH (the greatest man on earth) is a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy. He works hard and is giving me my cruise as an anniversary gift. We have talked about the "jeans" issue and he is more than willing to wear slacks each night. HOWEVER I would love to tell him that on non formal nights he could wear his black jeans for a few nights. It seams like a nice compramise. Thanks for clarifiying an issue BEFORE we were on the ship. He is a great guy, just likes his jeans, (he is pretty cute in them too ;) )

I hate to throw a wrench in the works, but please be advised that denim is considered a casual fabric and not a “smart” casual fabric. One may be able to get into the dining room for the evening meal wearing jeans, then again, one may not. It seems to depend on the ship – we’ve already established that Patters are written differently depending on the ship on which one is sailing. Further, whether or not you’re allowed in the dining room, the majority of Princess passengers don’t wear casual fabrics to the dining room on smart casual nights. This thread seems to lean toward the fact that jeans are totally acceptable. That isn’t the case. While the word “jeans” or “denim” is not used in the guidelines, “fine dining establishment,” “slacks,” “trouser outfits” are – none of those include denim jeans.

To answer the original poster’s question – jeans are appropriate in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. They are not appropriate at the evening meal.

Quoted from above: “I note that the dress code is "suggested" and "guidelines" only.”

That is the civil way say saying that those are the rules. What is apparently needed for some folks is a threat - that if you don’t we’re gonna make you walk the bloody plank :eek:

Those that don’t wanna - ain't gonna, and then again, there will be those of us who understand that it doesn’t take a gun or a threat to communicate what is expected in a civil society.

It’s personally a disappointment to me as one of the things I enjoy about a cruise is the civility (which is so sorely lacking in out day to day - dog eat dog – lives.)

I’m on vacation – can we please leave the loophole seeking lawyer wannabes on shore – please.

I hate to throw a wrench in the works, but please be advised that denim is considered a casual fabric and not a “smart” casual fabric. One may be able to get into the dining room for the evening meal wearing jeans, then again, one may not. It seems to depend on the ship – we’ve already established that Patters are written differently depending on the ship on which one is sailing. Further, whether or not you’re allowed in the dining room, the majority of Princess passengers don’t wear casual fabrics to the dining room on smart casual nights. This thread seems to lean toward the fact that jeans are totally acceptable. That isn’t the case. While the word “jeans” or “denim” is not used in the guidelines, “fine dining establishment,” “slacks,” “trouser outfits” are – none of those include denim jeans.

To answer the original poster’s question – jeans are appropriate in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. They are not appropriate at the evening meal.

You are talking absolute rubbish. This winds me up so much. Get off your high horse and live a little. I can go to church in jeans and I can fine dine in them too!!!

Quoted from above: “I note that the dress code is "suggested" and "guidelines" only.”

That is the civil way say saying that those are the rules. What is apparently needed for some folks is a threat - that if you don’t we’re gonna make you walk the bloody plank :eek:

Those that don’t wanna - ain't gonna' date=' and then again, there will be those of us who understand that it doesn’t take a gun or a threat to communicate what is expected in a civil society.

It’s personally a disappointment to me as one of the things I enjoy about a cruise is the civility (which is so sorely lacking in out day to day - dog eat dog – lives.)

I’m on vacation – can we please leave the [u']loophole seeking [/u]lawyer wannabes on shore – please.

...and that's not even worth commenting on.

Do what you want, with respect to others, it's a big world and there is room for us all.

If someone wants to wear acrylic pants and a 20 year old shirt, nobody will comlain, as nobody will mind in the slightest if you smarty wear jeans.

This is so tedious.

Kay, Let your DH wear his jeans on casual nights. He will not be the only one in the dining room with them on. On our lst cruise, on formal night, my DB wore black jeans with a tuxedo shirt, a western style tuxedo jacket, a western style tie & his boots & he looked as good as anyone in a traditional tux. People on this board say jeans can not be dressed up or people would not wear jeans to a nice restaurant, but that is not true. We went to Perry's steak house the other day and the majority of the people were wearing jeans. This is a really nice restaurant & it cost us 250.00 for 5 people to eat. People think capri pants are nice enough to wear to dinner, but they are just long shorts or pants that are too short. I think jeans look just as nice as capri pants.

Eileen

You are talking absolute rubbish. This winds me up so much. Get off your high horse and live a little. I can go to church in jeans and I can fine dine in them too!!!
"I know there are rules, but I don't care what the rules are, and I'm going to ignore everyone and everything because I want, I want, I want. It's all about me, me, me."

This is the epitome of what's wrong with British society today.

I’m not saying you can’t eat fine food while wearing jeans. I’m saying what’s appropriate and what is regular on board Princess ships. Your post infers that it is common for the majority to wear jeans on Princess ships and that isn’t true at all. I’m just trying to infuse a little reality into the thread so those seeking information aren’t left embarrassed. And I can live a lot whether I'm on a high horse or a low horse - I don't have to dress casually to do it.
This is the epitome of what's wrong with British society today.
Don’t feel alone – it’s over on this side of the pond too…as you can see:
We went to Perry's steak house the other day and the majority of the people were wearing jeans.

Jeans are fine for breakfast and lunch. Technically, they are prohibited at dinner, however you will see plenty of them on non-formal nights, especially since Princess does not make it clear by posting contradictory information on their website and between their brochures and other printed documents.

I think I saw 2 people in jeans for dinner on my Alaskan cruise in May. Everyone else was dressed in resort casual or nicer.

Archived