Jeans at Lunchtime.

Alessandrina

Plus we've now reduced our education system to the point where you can argue that 5 people out of 50 constitutes a majority. Maybe we should post a poll. :D

You weren't at the restaurant I was & I know what majority is. I would say 40 out of 50 people were wearing jeans. I don't know why all you people that don't like jeans have to be so sarcastic.

Eileen

Maybe we should post a poll. :D

Devil…

I don't know why all you people that don't like jeans have to be so sarcastic.
I take exception to this statement. I don’t think I’ve made a sarcastic remark on this thread and I’m probably at the top of this list of people who don’t think jeans appropriate at a fine dining restaurant. On a Princess ship, jeans are perfectly OK during the day, but for the evening meal, those who dress in jeans and attend dinner in the dining room are definitely in the minority...that's just a fact.

I am sure you are all trying to help us, less experienced cruisers, be prepared and informed for our upcoming cruise. Thank You. I am not sure what we will do, time will tell. I do have a question. Many of you say it is too warm, this confuses me. Those of you who have been on the Mexican cruise....is it really too warm to wear jeans (or other warm material...dockers maybe) at night (we have late dinner). Maybe this cruise will be much warmer than I anticipate. We are leaving in Jan. :confused:

Thank you again everyone I am sure you all want the same thing.... A fun relaxing cruise.

On a Princess ship, jeans are perfectly OK during the day, but for the evening meal, those who dress in jeans and attend dinner in the dining room are definitely in the minority...that's just a fact.

Yes, those who wear jeans to dinner are in the minority. But so are those who wear capris, and those who wear dockers, and those who wear sundresses, and those who wear suits... What I'm trying to say is that the clothing styles are so diverse that no one style stands out as the "majority" which means that each individual style is, in fact, a "minority" of total cruisers.

The "majority" of cruisers will come to dinner dressed nicely and with an overall appearance that is neat and clean, but this can be accomplished with a nice pair of jeans and dressy top just as easily as it can be with capris or dockers or any of the various other styles that you will see in the dining room on casual nights.

The latest 2005-2006 Princess Cruise Answer Book that you receive with your pre-cruise documents or that you can download directly from Princess states the following:

On pg 6 "Etiquette" and pg 8 "Onboard Attire" it states that Jeans and shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms during dinner. It does not say suggested attire. It does not say if you want to.. It is very specific.. NO JEANS !!!! How much simpler can that be??

The latest 2005-2006 Princess Cruise Answer Book that you receive with your pre-cruise documents or that you can download directly from Princess states the following:

On pg 6 "Etiquette" and pg 8 "Onboard Attire" it states that Jeans and shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms during dinner. It does not say suggested attire. It does not say if you want to.. It is very specific.. NO JEANS !!!! How much simpler can that be??

That would be very simple if it were consistently stated in all Princess documentation. But it is not. The Princess brochures and the Princess website only make mention of "torn" jeans and the Patters that are given onboard ship (at least on my two cruises on Sapphire and Regal) only say that shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are prohibited in the dining room.

I only came across it in the Cruise Answer Book because I went specifically searching for it after reading the debate on these boards. Otherwise I would have never read the book. Why would I? By the time the Cruise Answer Book arrived, I had already had several months to study Princess' brochures and their website, which are SUPPOSED to contain the same information. I certainly never would have guessed that I should examine the Cruise Answer Book to see if it contradicted the other Princess resources. And why should I believe that the Cruise Answer Book is the definitive answer when I get onboard and no mention of it is made in the Patters (where it clearly does state that shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are prohibited)?

Bottom line, many people may not even realize that jeans are supposed to be prohibited due to the contradictory information, but even for those who do, if Princess doesn't take their own rules seriously enough to state them consistently across their various documentations, then they really can't expect people to take following them very seriously either.

You weren't at the restaurant I was & I know what majority is. I would say 40 out of 50 people were wearing jeans. I don't know why all you people that don't like jeans have to be so sarcastic.

Eileen

Sorry, Eileen, I wasn't referencing your comment. I was adding to Globaliser's comments about the decline in manners and etiquette. It seems to go hand-in-hand with the reduction in educational standards that include mathematical skills.

It seems that I have been summarily dismissed from the discussion board for commenting on "civility". And by a person who's signature states " Ask forgivness' date=' not permission."[/quote']

Exactly, in other words the signature states, don't ask for permission to do something, just do it, if need be ask for forgiveness later.

Cheers,

Peter

I pulled this directly from Princess's web site regarding etiquette. I guess some of these guys are right.

I personally don't give a flip what my fellow passengers are wearing. If they are nice people wearing jeans......so what:p It is not a public health risk.

I like to dress up, but that is my preference.

I think we get soooo hung up on what people look like, that we forget what is inside.

Some folks save and save to be able to go on a nice vacation such as a cruise. They just may not be able to justify spending money on clothes that they will never wear again. Let them be comfortable in their jeans. Why do we as fellow human beings have to make them uncomfortable because of our 'delicate sensibilities'.....geesh:eek:

I know these are the rules (aka 'guidelines') and I for one don't break the rules, but I am also not the Princess Rule Police:D Have fun everyone.

ETIQUETTE

Everyone at Princess wants you to have a great time on your cruise. So, to preserve a relaxed and friendly atmosphere onboard, we ask that you observe a few guidelines.

Smoking is not allowed in the dining rooms, or any other food service area, or in the show lounges and theaters. Smoking is permitted in staterooms, stateroom balconies, and designated areas. As a courtesy to your fellow passengers, please refrain from smoking pipes and cigars in all public rooms.

Should you wish to videotape onboard during your cruise, please feel free to do so. However, videotaping the onboard entertainment performances is not allowed for copyright reasons.

We require passengers to use cover-ups over bathing suits when entering the ship's public rooms. Jeans and shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms during dinner.

In all these endless discussions about the wearing of jeans to the dining room, not a single person has ever expanded or given a reason for their being inappropriate. What makes them inappropriate, and why do you care?

Too ugly? - I've seen quite a few wearing things that are ugly, none of them jeans though.

Too casual? - Hmm, maybe a bathrobe would fall into this. LOL

Too Hot? - Maybe for the person writing, not for me or others as it seems.

Too rude? - I'm not quite sure how clothing can be rude.

Perhaps in the dark ages when they were associated only with manual labour it may have been the case. Fortuanately or unfortuantely, depending on your view, the world has changed and the wearers of jeans have changed. For the most part anyone walking around would not notice someone wearing a pair of coloured jeans. Perhaps if they were wearing the common light blue denim they might, but otherwise I doubt it.

I have never been able to figure out why so many people care so strongly about this issue, as it has nothing at all to do with them. They aren't the ones wearing them.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,

Peter

In all these endless discussions about the wearing of jeans to the dining room, not a single person has ever expanded or given a reason for their being inappropriate. What makes them inappropriate, and why do you care?

Too ugly? - I've seen quite a few wearing things that are ugly, none of them jeans though.

Too Hot? - Maybe for the person writing, not for me or others as it seems.

Too rude? - I'm not quite sure how clothing can be rude.

Perhaps in the dark ages when they were associated only with manual labour it may have been the case. Fortuanately or unfortuantely, depending on your view, the world has changed and the wearers of jeans have changed. For the most part anyone walking around would not notice someone wearing a pair of coloured jeans. Perhaps if they were wearing the common light blue denim they might, but otherwise I doubt it.

I have never been able to figure out why so many people care so strongly about this issue, as it has nothing at all to do with them. They aren't the ones wearing them.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,

Peter

I agree Peter!:D

Because (a) they are too casual; and (b) they demonstrate the wearer's arrogance and lack of respect both for their fellow passengers and for the rules of the temporary community which they have signed up to.

I don't think it takes a genius to see why evincing the latter attitude would be offensive.

Yes, bathrobes would be equally inappropriate. Fortunately, everyone can see that.

But for some reason, some people think that their personal view that their jeans are not inappropriate is somehow more important than the ship's expressly stated rule that jeans are inappropriate. And these people think that their view should prevail over the ship's rule, even though they knew the ship's rule before they ever arrived on the ship.

As I said before, it's just a case of "I want, I want, I want. Me, me, me." Truly offensive.

Because (a) they are too casual; and (b) they demonstrate the wearer's arrogance and lack of respect both for their fellow passengers and for the rules of the temporary community which they have signed up to.

I don't think it takes a genius to see why evincing the latter attitude would be offensive.

Yes, bathrobes would be equally inappropriate. Fortunately, everyone can see that.

But for some reason, some people think that their personal view that their jeans are not inappropriate is somehow more important than the ship's expressly stated rule that jeans are inappropriate. And these people think that their view should prevail over the ship's rule, even though they knew the ship's rule before they ever arrived on the ship.

As I said before, it's just a case of "I want, I want, I want. Me, me, me." Truly offensive.

Once again, no actual reason for them being inappropriate, just another, "Because they are!".

You state that Princess says they are not allowed, all right, it says that in one place, and there are other places where it is not mentioned. What makes this one right and the others wrong, is it just because you happen to agree with that one?

You state arrogance and lack of respect. Exactly how does one wearing jeans show arrogance towards you, and what kind of respect are you looking for that requires people, whom you do not know, to wear clothing that you approve of?

Cheers,

Peter

Once again, no actual reason for them being inappropriate, just another, "Because they are!".

You state that Princess says they are not allowed, all right, it says that in one place, and there are other places where it is not mentioned. What makes this one right and the others wrong, is it just because you happen to agree with that one?

You state arrogance and lack of respect. Exactly how does one wearing jeans show arrogance towards you, and what kind of respect are you looking for that requires people, whom you do not know, to wear clothing that you approve of?

If "jeans are too casual" and "wearing jeans when told not to is arrogant and disrespectful" are not two specific reasons for them being inappropriate, then you are being wilfully obtuse. You may not agree, which is your prerogative, but you asked for reasons and you got them. These reasons do not amount to saying "Because they are".

Princess (and most other cruise lines of the same type) make it perfectly clear on their website, in their brochures, in their pre-departure literature and then onboard in every day's Patter that the rule is "no jeans in the dining room at dinner". Again, if you have only seen one, you either haven't looked very hard or you are deliberately ignoring what is plainly there to be seen.

If there are rules in place to which most people find no difficulty adhering, those who deliberately ignore the rules (of which they know) because they don't like them or they think that the rules shouldn't apply to them are being arrogant and disrespectful. Anyone whose attitude towards a community is "I don't give a toss" richly deserves both of those adjectives. This complaint has got nothing to do with what I personally do or do not approve of. It's to do with whether or not one is going to follow standards of conduct which apply to all. My position is that I am prepared to follow those standards; the inveterate jeans-wearer's attitude is that they are not. That is what the complaint is about.

We are very excited about our upcoming European cruise on July 20! I am looking forward to bringing my two 14 y/o's along. My daughter and I have our dresses for the formal and smart casual evenings, My husband and son are packing slacks for the informal nights and we have rented tuxes for those formal ones. My son is rather excited about wearing his first tux!

My question concerns our 14 y/o boy: do the teens onboard european cruises dress up more during the day, or can he bring his normal abercrombie-sloppies (baggie shorts and t's) ?

Yes, I'm sorry, but I do think your resply was a "Because they are!" response.

Too casual, casual is casual. What makes them more casual then other things?

Arrogant and disrespectful, once again, why does this bother you? How does it affect you personally? Are you revolted at seeing someone in jeans? Does it make you violently ill?

As it has been stated here ad nauseum that Princess does not make this a clear unalterable rule! It states it as suggested dress in a couple of places, and does not state it in others. Which one overrides the other? Since you are against jeans you side with the no jeans suggestion.

What makes a suggestion or guideline a hard and fast rule?

This is a question that will never be settled until such time as they state "YOU WILL NOT WEAR JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!" or supply a list of REQUIRED dress.

Which of course will never happen.

Cheers,

Peter

Princess (and most other cruise lines of the same type) make it perfectly clear on their website, in their brochures, in their pre-departure literature and then onboard in every day's Patter that the rule is "no jeans in the dining room at dinner". Again, if you have only seen one, you either haven't looked very hard or you are deliberately ignoring what is plainly there to be seen.

If only this were true then the debate would be over. However, as I stated before this is not the case. I had to go hunting to find even one place that said jeans were prohibited (the Cruise Answer Book). Had I not already read the debate on these boards, I never would have searched so hard. I would have taken what I read in the brochures and on the website at face value (that "torn" jeans are prohibited).

Even once onboard ship, the Patters said only that shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire were prohibited (my cruise aboard the Regal was only 2 months ago). I would be more inclined to believe what I read onboard the specific ship I am sailing than in some generic Princess publication, especially since the shipboard information matched what I read in other Princess publications.

I just now checked Princess' website and even today, a year after I first learned of this debate, the website still contradicts itself by saying that jeans are prohibited on one page and only that "torn" jeans are prohibited on another page. I guess that's an improvement since the last time I looked every page only said "torn" jeans, but it is still far from clear.

I don't think that most cruisers are going to put on their detective's cap and go on a hunt to find the "right" rules. Princess has to make it clear and consistent across all publications and onboard ship if they expect the rules to be known and followed.

Arrogant and disrespectful, once again, why does this bother you?
Because, to put it bluntly, because these people know what they have been asked to do, they know that the majority of the community around them are prepared to comply, and yet they just say "Up yours! My views are more important to me." That is what I find offensive.

If you don't understand that point of view, well, that then just speaks volumes. It is hardly surprising that we live in a yob culture, for that is what that attitude is.

No, actually they do not, as has been stated, the information is not definite, and is contradictory.

It is also only suggested dress, it is not a requirement.

When something is stated as casual, people believe it to be casual, that jeans are "too casual" for you, does not mean that it is "too casual" for others. That you do not think of jeans as "resort casual" or "smart casual" does not make it offensive or wrong.

What I really want to know is WHY does what someone else wear bother you so much, and WHY do you find it offensive. I believe I said before that unless you study up close and personal what people are wearing you wouldn't even know.

I will admit that I do not concern myself with what you or anyone else is wearing, whatever it is that you are wearing, be it a tux, jeans, shorts or a bikini, it does not bother me in the slightest, and I find it amazing that anyone else does care and makes such an issue over it.

Cheers,

Peter

No, actually they do not, as has been stated, the information is not definite, and is contradictory.

It is also only suggested dress, it is not a requirement. The pre-cruise paperwork you receive after you book your cruise contains the Princess Cruise Answer Book. No where in this book is the word "Suggested Dress" and no where in this book is the word "torn jeans".. What is stated is that Jeans are not permitted in the dining rooms at dinner.

When something is stated as casual, people believe it to be casual, that jeans are "too casual" for you, does not mean that it is "too casual" for others. That you do not think of jeans as "resort casual" or "smart casual" does not make it offensive or wrong. Jeans are not Resort Casual or Smart Casual and if by chance they were in some areas, which I doubt, they still are not allowed per the Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Cheers,

Peter

See my comments..

What I really want to know is WHY does what someone else wear bother you so much, and WHY do you find it offensive. I believe I said before that unless you study up close and personal what people are wearing you wouldn't even know.

I will admit that I do not concern myself with what you or anyone else is wearing, whatever it is that you are wearing, be it a tux, jeans, shorts or a bikini, it does not bother me in the slightest, and I find it amazing that anyone else does care and makes such an issue over it.

Take a formal night. In choosing a cruise that has a formal night, I have basically chosen to go to a black tie dinner that evening, albeit one where the host has expressly said that a lounge suit would also be appropriate.

The majority of my fellow passengers have made the same choice.

In those circumstances, do you really think that it isn't disrespectful to roll up to this black tie dinner in jeans and a T-shirt? Do you really have a hard time understanding why it's inappropriate?

If you do, then the concepts of courtesy, grace and sociability clearly have no meaning for you.

The same applies, less forcefully, to less formal dinners.

In those circumstances, do you really think that it isn't disrespectful to roll up to this black tie dinner in jeans and a T-shirt? Do you really have a hard time understanding why it's inappropriate?

I don't think anybody here has been arguing the appropriateness of wearing jeans on FORMAL night. And I don't think anybody here is talking about pairing their jeans with a t-shirt even on casual night. When paired with a dressy top and pretty jewelry (for the ladies), jeans can be dressed up quite nicely for a CASUAL dinner.

Archived