Gift for Room Stewards

niceguyneastbay

We always leave cash but have also brought Girl Scout Cookies. There is one called "Thanks A Lot" which is a shortbread cookie stamped with "thank you" in different languages and the bottom is dipped in chocolate. Girl Scouts changed the packaging a few years ago so the new packages do not travel as well but if we have extra room in the luggage we always brings a couple packages. Girl Scout cookies freeze very well by the way...

Um...yuck. I personally hate packaged cookies, so do my bottomless pit sons. Don't think because you like something everyone else does as well.

Cash Cash Cash

Pretty simple.

I'm going to put in my two cents regarding the cash tips...

I work in a bank and I so often have customers that come in to get $2 bills or gold $1 coins to give as tips on cruises. To me, this is an awful idea. We shouldn't be giving cash/coins that we have a hard time spending ourselves right here at home in the US. While I know it all "spends the same" (and maybe I'm just being overly critical), I think we should be giving tips that are easy for people to use, not something that we don't use as everyday currency.

Sent from my iPad

I work in a bank and I so often have customers that come in to get $2 bills or gold $1 coins to give as tips on cruises. To me, this is an awful idea. We shouldn't be giving cash/coins that we have a hard time spending ourselves right here at home in the US. While I know it all "spends the same" (and maybe I'm just being overly critical), I think we should be giving tips that are easy for people to use, not something that we don't use as everyday currency.

Sent from my iPad

Totally agree. I can imagine how excited peeps would be to get our loonies or toonies. I hate 'em.

Sent from my iPad

Completely agree with you..For years the Stewards have had a difficult time spending both the $2 bills & the gold dollars..They normally have to go to the Purser to get plain old everyday cash to spend in port because no venders would take that so called exotic money....

When I was in having a pedicure a little while ago there was also a lady next to me having one. She told the nail tech that next time she was going to bring in some baking instead of a tip. I wonder if she would like to be paid by her employer in baking:rolleyes:. Cash is king.

That is really awful, i hope the nail tech said "thanks, but no thanks"! And the girl scout cookies....

We have always left cash and if we brought cookies that's extra, nothing better and more appropriate than a cash tip. Leaving a box of cookies in place of a cash tip is just plain cheap.

Edited by ellbelle

You are absolutely right about phone cards. They were a good thing ages ago but I agree that they are not as relevant now as they once were. I think I will stick with giving cash.

You and Sail are right. On our last cruises we found that the crew were using skype and Facebook on shore wherever they could find free wifi.