Luderitz, Namibia

CruzinNoony

We will be in Luderitz for a 1/2 day (7am - 2pm). Any suggestions as to what to do? Any private 1/2 day tours recommended?:rolleyes:

I've only visited Luderitz as part of land travel some years ago, but can tell you that it is a VERY small town. Probably the most interesting things to do are:

- visit Kolmanskop Ghost town - an old diamond mining village that is being reclaimed by the desert. I think that tours are mornings only, but check beforehand as they may require reservations to be made in town. It is a drive out of town, but perhaps there is a tour that leaves from the centre of town.

- see the German colonial buildings in town (GoerkeHaus is lovely, but it appears that the interior is only open in the afternoons). Most buildings can be seen by walking around town.

- I think there may also be a boat tour out to see the seals.

- Digging for Sand Roses out in the desert - permit required from Ministry of Environment's Tourism Office in town - and they will accompany you in YOUR car to supervise your "dig". These are gypsum crystals that are usually about 1 foot underground at the beach north of town if I remember correctly. Just beware of import regulations into your home country, as there will likely be sand on your specimens.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCderitz

If you will be stopping at Walvis Bay/Swakopmund then let me know and I will try to add more info.

Edited by Starlight Durban Cruising
Addit info.

• 3 months later...

Starlight...we have a ships tour to the ghost town on hold, but do you know if there are plenty of cabs we could take out to the site and then get dropped off back in town to look around and see the Goetz House? Looks like we could walk back to the ship....do you know?

Thanks much....

Starlight...we have a ships tour to the ghost town on hold, but do you know if there are plenty of cabs we could take out to the site and then get dropped off back in town to look around and see the Goetz House? Looks like we could walk back to the ship....do you know?

Hillslife, I was last there in 1995 (eek, time flies), but I am sure that if the ship is arranging the tour then they will do transport from the wharf all the way to Kolmanskop Ghost town (10 kilometers out) and back to the wharf.

The main part of Luderitz town is only about 300 - 400 meters/yards from the harbor (depending where your tender/ship ties up) so you really could walk from the wharf back into town as soon as you get back from Kolmanskop (or ask to be dropped in town). Most of the sights are close by as it is a TINY town. I can't place Goetz House - do you mean Goerke House? That is only another 500 meters/yards further in. You could walk, or ask in a local restaurant or tourism office if there is a local taxi to take you. Sorry I don't have more info about taxis. Feel free to look at Googlemaps and the related photos for more info about places in Luderitz. It really is so small that one can walk around and get some wonderful photos.

Make sure you take a good camera because this town and Kolmanskop are good photo-op locations.

http://wikitravel.org/en/L%C3%BCderitz

(Your post reminded me of our 1995 trip there with my gran, and she enjoyed it so much. She passed away last week at the age of 90, and she loved the 3 week trip that we did through Namibia. Your post brought back some wonderful memories for me today. Thank you and enjoy your travels).