Upgrade/Upsell question from a newbie

Snackdaddy

Greetings,

In March 2012, we booked at Cat. E Concierge Suite for the December 8, 2013 sailing of the Mariner. Up until a few days ago Cat. E was listed as “Available” but now it is listed as “Guaranteed.” There has been no change in the price for Cat. E.

In your opinion, are we in a good position to receive an upgrade or upsell offer? Mariner Suite to Concierge Suite D categories are all still listed as “Available”.

Thank you in advance for your experienced-based feedback.

That is such a difficult question to answer. It would seem that passengers with a "Guarantee" would get an upgrade to a higher category first (this is a guess since people who purchase guarantees usually hope the category will fill up and they will be bumped at no additional cost).

Only Regent headquarters really knows why and when they will offer upsells. Generally, penthouse suites are offered upsells to the upper suites and lower categories are offered upsells to the penthouse suites. BTW, the cost generally depends upon how many levels up you would be moving up and the length of the cruise.

Some posters discuss prices, etc. on upsells but that was their experience on their particular cruise. An upsell from a penthouse suite to a master suite, for instance can be several thousand dollars while an upsell to a penthouse can be relatively inexpensive. The best thing you can do is make sure your TA is on the ball and contacts you immediately upon receipt of the upsell offer. While not always the case, you generally do not have time to think about it and must say yes or no immediately and authorize payment on your credit card.

Lastly, make sure you know whether you even want what is being offered. Studying the deck plan and having it handy is important. Our first upsell was to a Penthouse A suite on the Voyager....... right under the swimming pool deck. Not a choice I would make again. Also, forward suites on a high deck will feel the waves much more than a mid-deck suite on a lower deck.

Hope this helps:-)

Greetings,

We just received an accommodations discount upgrade offer from an "E" Concierge Suite to a Horizon View Suite for $700pp. This looks like a great deal. Any thoughts?

I would go for the Horizon View Suite in a minute!!!!! it is a GREAT deal - you will enjoy every second in that suite. Hurry and book before the offer goes away:D

Edited by Travelcat2

Hello Travelcat2,

Yippee :D We are now booked in Suite 8103!!!

Thank you for your assistance and recommendations. Aft cabins are our favorite and to snag one on a Regent ship and with a butler, has to be the best. We are so looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

Hello Travelcat2,

Yippee :D We are now booked in Suite 8103!!!

Thank you for your assistance and recommendations. Aft cabins are our favorite and to snag one on a Regent ship and with a butler, has to be the best. We are so looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

Really happy for you! Please let us know how wonderful it is when you are on board.

We received an upgrade offer today for either Penthouse $650.00pp or a Horizon for $700.00pp. We opted for a Penthouse on deck 8, two years ago we had the option to upgrade to a Horizon suite in the Med. We loved the extra room, and the separate bedroom. Hosted a large party in our room, the butler was great at setting everything up, extra glasses, ice, canapés etc.

December 8 is right around the corner, ready to board the Mariner our favorite ship!:)

On my second Regent cruise many moons ago I was "upgraded" from an H on a lower deck to a D on a higher deck. Same size suite with same perks in those days and I always prefer low and amidship.

I was offered a pricey upgrade for an upcoming cruise on Mariner but my E will be FINE!

The ONLY SURE WAY to be "upgraded" is to book what cat. you want.

On my second Regent cruise many moons ago I was "upgraded" from an H on a lower deck to a D on a higher deck. Same size suite with same perks in those days and I always prefer low and amidship.

I was offered a pricey upgrade for an upcoming cruise on Mariner but my E will be FINE!

The ONLY SURE WAY to be "upgraded" is to book what cat. you want.

We recently accepted an upgrade to D, having never cruised with Regent before. The cabin is on deck 9 and just off midship. We weren't told which cabin we would be placed in if we didn't accept the upgrade. I think it would have been a guaranteed cabin. In other words, pot luck. DH likes low decks, midship because he has an issue with motion sickness. The only cruise where he hasn't gotten sick is in Alaska doing the Inside Passage! So, we will see how this works out. At least his better half will be pleased with the accommodations...