Problem with Cabin Steward

tafische

I understand your issues, his attitude was something to consider. While we understand that staff on the ship are worldwide and their culture differences may not be what we are used to this certainly was outside of the norm. While you did not reduce the tip, I think I would have, especially when he approached your wife. Mess with me that’s find, but you approach my wife different ballgame. I believe you should write a letter to Carnival and express your concerns.

On our cruise last week on the Sensation met our room attendant he told us about him doing the room twice a day and all of that. I took a soft side cooler and asked the room attendant if he would put ice in it. That evening there was no ice in it or in the ice bucket, saw him in the hall and asked him about ice, he stated that he tried to fill the cooler but it was full. Well the cooler was not full, as a matter of face the ice he brought me I put in the cooler.

He never put ice in the cooler at anytime. He would bring ice in the bucket and leave it, but never put it in the cooler and the cooler was on the desk in the tray that holds the ice bucket. Not a big deal, I just poured the ice in the cooler from the bucket, just thought it was odd that he never did or make an effort to. I didn’t reduce tips or anything just caulked it up as one of those things. My wife did mention that he was not as friendly as previous attendants. He would barely speak when we saw him in the hallway. Actually got more responses from other staff in the hallway than him, again no big deal.

Usually if I place my carryon wine on the counter, the steward will place it in a big bucket of ice.

I had to constantly ask for ice from my room steward last week. He was stingy with the ice- asked for the big bucket, didn't get it.

So I started to order it from room service and that worked out well. (With a tip, of course.)

One out of only 2 room attendants who disappointed. Pretty good odds:rolleyes:

Pam

So on my last cruise, I was not thrilled at all with our cabin steward. On every cruise I have been on, they have been great and tirelessly work behind the scenes to make things enjoyable.

What I want to know is if my expectations are unrealistic? Here is what transpired (sorry it is long) --

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning) Not sure there is much I would do about this as he and the other guests (as long as they were not loud and obnoxious due to drunkenness) may not be aware that their voices are carrying.

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean Never had this happen before, but we always put the sign out if we want the room cleaned. And if we don't want the steward to enter our cabin, we always turn the sign to the "snoozin'" side. Luckily, we've never had pranksters turn or steal our sign.

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements. Hmm....this could be just his laziness. We sometimes take the glasses from the cabin and leave them at a bar on the promenade, and our steward has always replaced them and never said a word about our having taken them. I think I would politely say something like, "I'm so sorry, I've always removed the glasses from my cabin, and the steward has always replaced them". Then I'd note later if he'd replaced them; if not, I'd call housekeeping to obtain drinking glasses. But, I would not report him....not yet.

- Next day we go back to the room and there are only three pool towels (4 in the room). We ask for another and he tells us he only replaces towels in the evening and we will have to get one from the towel hut. I have had experience on several occasions not getting pool towels during the dinner turn-down-service for the next day. Each time I questioned our steward, they explained that the towels were still at the laundry and that they (the steward) would be delivering the towels later. And sure enough, while we have been enjoying ourselves at late-night entertainment such as the disco or the piano bar, the steward did indeed deliver the towels.

- We had no robes in the cabin. When we asked him about it he argued we did. We had no room service menu, when we asked about it he argued we did.

- When we asked about replacement breakfast menus, he told us it was our fault because we were hanging our robes on the hook where he leaves them and he could not tell we were out.

- Third day we come back from Dinner and have NO pool towels in the room. The hut is closed and the kids want to swim. Young daughter starts to cry and says "I dont like him at all!!" Are the pools open in the evening?

So at this point I have had it and go talk to the service desk. They get me some towels and are a little dumbfounded by what is going on and say they will speak to him. The Hotel Manager also comes by and talks to us.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself! I have never had this happen, but I think I would have bluntly asked him to open the door or excused myself to walk past him in order to open the cabin door myself. Though, I must say that when I am in the room alone (especially when showering), I have the night latch on as well as the "snoozin'" sign on the door. My travel companions (we are all girls) know to call the room first from a house phone to let me know that they are on their way back to the cabin. I do the same for them.

- Later when I am there he comes in again and closes the door and tells me all the same thing. I am friendly, tell him I disagree, but shake his hand and tel him I appreciate him coming by (at this point I just wanted him to leave).

So - was I wrong in my expectations from any of this? I have always taken the glasses out of the room. I have always had replacement towels. I have always had plenty of menus. I have NEVER been 'reprimanded' by a cabin steward.

By the way - I didnt dock his tip. I know he has a hard job.[/quote]

I would not have docked his tip either. I am always in favor of giving the staff the benefit of the doubt as my travel companions and myself all work in the service of the public ( food server, flight crew member, police officer). Though, I do understand why the steward's behavior had you miffed. Luckily, after a "failure" in service, I have always been successful with discussing the matter directly with my steward or calling housekeeping from my stateroom phone in order to obtain more towels, glasses, or whatever. I have never had to visit guest services to "report" a steward. I do realize that everyone is not as forgiving as I am, however.

Okay, I know that I'll draw the ire of some but here goes. A tip is based on the quality of service given. If this cabin steward did not give an acceptable level of service then his tip should have been docked. That is why it is called a tip otherwise it is a service charge (that cannot be changed) How else is this steward to learn? If you want good tip then you provide good service, great service should get a great tip, poor service demands a poor tip. Just my opinion.:D

So on my last cruise, I was not thrilled at all with our cabin steward. On every cruise I have been on, they have been great and tirelessly work behind the scenes to make things enjoyable.

What I want to know is if my expectations are unrealistic? Here is what transpired (sorry it is long) --

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning) Not sure there is much I would do about this as he and the other guests (as long as they were not loud and obnoxious due to drunkenness) may not be aware that their voices are carrying.

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean Never had this happen before, but we always put the sign out if we want the room cleaned. And if we don't want the steward to enter our cabin, we always turn the sign to the "snoozin'" side. Luckily, we've never had pranksters turn or steal our sign.

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements. Hmm....this could be just his laziness. We sometimes take the glasses from the cabin and leave them at a bar on the promenade, and our steward has always replaced them and never said a word about our having taken them. I think I would politely say something like, "I'm so sorry, I've always removed the glasses from my cabin, and the steward has always replaced them". Then I'd note later if he'd replaced them; if not, I'd call housekeeping to obtain drinking glasses. But, I would not report him....not yet.

- Next day we go back to the room and there are only three pool towels (4 in the room). We ask for another and he tells us he only replaces towels in the evening and we will have to get one from the towel hut. I have had experience on several occasions not getting pool towels during the dinner turn-down-service for the next day. Each time I questioned our steward, they explained that the towels were still at the laundry and that they (the steward) would be delivering the towels later. And sure enough, while we have been enjoying ourselves at late-night entertainment such as the disco or the piano bar, the steward did indeed deliver the towels.

- We had no robes in the cabin. When we asked him about it he argued we did. We had no room service menu, when we asked about it he argued we did.

- When we asked about replacement breakfast menus, he told us it was our fault because we were hanging our robes on the hook where he leaves them and he could not tell we were out.

- Third day we come back from Dinner and have NO pool towels in the room. The hut is closed and the kids want to swim. Young daughter starts to cry and says "I dont like him at all!!" Are the pools open in the evening?

So at this point I have had it and go talk to the service desk. They get me some towels and are a little dumbfounded by what is going on and say they will speak to him. The Hotel Manager also comes by and talks to us.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself! I have never had this happen, but I think I would have bluntly asked him to open the door or excused myself to walk past him in order to open the cabin door myself. Though, I must say that when I am in the room alone (especially when showering), I have the night latch on as well as the "snoozin'" sign on the door. My travel companions (we are all girls) know to call the room first from a house phone to let me know that they are on their way back to the cabin. I do the same for them.

- Later when I am there he comes in again and closes the door and tells me all the same thing. I am friendly, tell him I disagree, but shake his hand and tel him I appreciate him coming by (at this point I just wanted him to leave).

So - was I wrong in my expectations from any of this? I have always taken the glasses out of the room. I have always had replacement towels. I have always had plenty of menus. I have NEVER been 'reprimanded' by a cabin steward.

By the way - I didnt dock his tip. I know he has a hard job.[/quote]

I would not have docked his tip either. I am always in favor of giving the staff the benefit of the doubt as my travel companions and myself all work in the service of the public ( food server, flight crew member, police officer). Though, I do understand why the steward's behavior had you miffed. Luckily, after a "failure" in service, I have always been successful with discussing the matter directly with my steward or calling housekeeping from my stateroom phone in order to obtain more towels, glasses, or whatever. I have never had to visit guest services to "report" a steward. I do realize that everyone is not as forgiving as I am, however.

My way is much better and you'll save another person from being treated like poop. Just saying.:cool:

Edited by richraven

Okay, I know that I'll draw the ire of some but here goes. A tip is based on the quality of service given. If this cabin steward did not give an acceptable level of service then his tip should have been docked. That is why it is called a tip otherwise it is a service charge (that cannot be changed) How else is this steward to learn? If you want good tip then you provide good service, great service should get a great tip, poor service demands a poor tip. Just my opinion.:D

I agree with you and I would have had the tips removed because obviously the hotel manager had a talk with him and his behavior did not change after that. He approached them after the talk which he should not have done. I also think that he needs to learn that pleasing the guests is his job and that not doing that means that they can choose not to pay him. It may be that he is just not cut out for this type position and needs to be moved to another department.

You actually handled yourself pretty good!

You had no choice to speak with guest services.

The only thing I would have dealt directly with him would be, that he understand that he is NEVER to come into our room and close the door if my wife is in there alone.

I agree... well said :D

I have NEVER removed the auto gratuity and quite often I tip additional to my steward and dinning staff. However there is no way I would be treated bad by my steward and not do anything about it. I would have cancelled his portion of the auto tip. I also would of dine more complaining. At minimum you need to call or write Carnival about this issue. And get a response. Don't let them brush it under the carpet.

My way is much better and you'll save another person from being treated like poop. Just saying.:cool:

Re: Response from richraven: It seems that your response was in jest. Nevertheless, I did acknowledge in my post that the way I handle poor service(and what rates as poor service can very from person to person) is more forgiving than what many people would do. Having said that, I am very picky about certain things, yet have not ever had any problems getting what I need with a kind, firm word and a smile directly to my steward. I have no desire to get him/her into trouble by reporting him/her. I just need to get what I want/need for my cabin. Even though the OP was unhappy with the service his family received, as bad as it may have been, I don't think the steward treated them "like poop".

Edited by oncruisecontrol

Yeah - that was my big concern as he still had access to our room every day.

Question - Has anyone every requested a different cabin steward? I know they all have assigned rooms, but wonder if that would have been a good course of action.

I think you were very reasonable in your approach and would have handled it the same way in the beginning. I am pretty easy to please, but what you described would have left me puzzled and annoyed enough to speak with guest services.

I would have FLIPPED OUT when he came into the room to complain to your wife and closed the door behind him. Whether or not he had continuing access to the cabin, I would have made a fuss right there and kept making one until something happened.

I really would have worried more that he had access to the room and guest services did not know he had tried to intimidate a guest.

Let me tell you. I am a Manager in the hospitality industry and we have people from different nationalities working towards the same goal and that is exceptional guest services. That being said, I can tell you that you did the right thing talking about your inconvenience with the Hotel Manager but not shaking the pot too much at the same time. But at the same time, you should take this further now that you're off the ship. And folks this has nothing to do with "let's see what Carnival does for me".

People like this steward have no business having jobs like this. While they might be friendly and all, they might get too comfortable or bossy with guests since they seem to have very little upper supervision. MAJOR rule in any hospitality business is that you NEVER walk into a guest room, be it male or female, alone or otherwise, without consent and you should never close the door behind you without asking if it's ok. At least that's how we do it. While the Hotel Manager could in fact "take care of it" they tend to not do much. But if this Manager receives a letter from "corporate" with this issue, results could be better. People like this need training and supervision that go further than just an enthusiastic "HI!!!". They need to learn to deal with guests, in a more personal way understanding that those guests paid a pretty penny (some of them saving for quite some time) to be on this ship and be served. If they do not have the "people skills" to deal with things other than a greeting then they should be reassigned perhaps to the "back of the house".

OK off the soapbox now....

On our cruise last week on the Sensation met our room attendant he told us about him doing the room twice a day and all of that. I took a soft side cooler and asked the room attendant if he would put ice in it. That evening there was no ice in it or in the ice bucket, saw him in the hall and asked him about ice, he stated that he tried to fill the cooler but it was full. Well the cooler was not full, as a matter of face the ice he brought me I put in the cooler.

He never put ice in the cooler at anytime. He would bring ice in the bucket and leave it, but never put it in the cooler and the cooler was on the desk in the tray that holds the ice bucket. Not a big deal, I just poured the ice in the cooler from the bucket, just thought it was odd that he never did or make an effort to. I didn’t reduce tips or anything just caulked it up as one of those things. My wife did mention that he was not as friendly as previous attendants. He would barely speak when we saw him in the hallway.

OMG, that must have been really upsetting; I only hope that you write a strongly worded message to Carnival management about your experience.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself!

This is NOT ok, in fact, is it even allowed?

I would have reported this that second, and if my husband had been there! :eek: It wouldn't have been pretty.

Unpopular opinion here but, if everything like that happened to me, I would've removed the tips. In addition to talking to guest services, and then a strongly worded letter to Carnival. Not to mention I wouldn't sail Carnival again.

I think the best thing you did was to complain to his supervisors - too many people come back and complain on here, but how can bad service be improved upon if the superiors don't know it is bad?? I would have seriously considered adjusting the tip, though.

I wish they would come up with a standard way of obtaining wine glasses on all of the ships. Three cruises ago, we were told to ask our room steward for wine glasses - he happily obliged. Two cruises ago, we were told by our room steward that they do not stock them anymore - we should drop by any bar and ask for glasses. We did so, and were happily obliged.

Forward to our last cruise - we were advised by our room steward that wine glasses are to be ordered from room service. Well, that's all fine and well, except that now we have to TIP to receive two wine glasses. AND, if we leave them anywhere, and need fresh glasses, guess what? Another tip to room service! Not to mention the fact that if room service is busy you'll be cooling your heels in your room for 45 minutes waiting for two wine glasses to arrive. We made sure to bring our glasses back to the room with us, and just rinsed them out and re-used them.

This is NOT ok, in fact, is it even allowed?

I would have reported this that second, and if my husband had been there! :eek: It wouldn't have been pretty.

Unpopular opinion here but, if everything like that happened to me, I would've removed the tips. In addition to talking to guest services, and then a strongly worded letter to Carnival. Not to mention I wouldn't sail Carnival again.

Your opinion is fine. But you would never sail the cruise line again, even if this might have been the guy's first assignment, in which case the company could not have known he was a predator??

Likewise I assume in a hotel chain, if a staff member were equally offensive, one who might be brand new and who's behavior was unknown to the hotel, you would not use the chain again?? Interesting.

Your opinion is fine. But you would never sail the cruise line again, even if this might have been the guy's first assignment, in which case the company could not have known he was a predator??

Likewise I assume in a hotel chain, if a staff member were equally offensive, one who might be brand new and who's behavior was unknown to the hotel, you would not use the chain again?? Interesting.

The company should have known he was a predator if in fact he was one. It is called a brackground check or better yet not scraping the bottom of the barrel when hiring workers.

You did not receive good service and did the right thing by going to guest services. I would also contact Carnival by phone or mail.

Sorry you did not have a good experience.

I agree!! And to top it off going in the cabin and shutting the door when your wife was in there by herself??? Yeah so very inappropriate, Wow is all I can say and yes definatly complain!!

The company should have known he was a predator if in fact he was one. It is called a brackground check or better yet not scraping the bottom of the barrel when hiring workers.

I am sure they run what background checks that they can but with these workers coming from so many different countries I would think that not all of them have very good reporting systems for this type of thing or not like they are in the US. In many countries things like that are not reported at all.

Well look on the bright side ..... at least you didn't wake up with a horse's head made of towels in your bed.

Personally I would have talked it over once .... and only once .... (they know more than anyone what the

rules of behavior are). It may be that you cannot get past the negative impact it will have on your cruise

but you can make it clear that the steward's name and every crew-person's name who failed to assist you in

resolving the issue will be reported to Carnival once you get back home.

Sounds like the makings of a good book though. "A psycho steward terrorizes a family on their cruise and no

one will believe them". Opening scene .... towel monkey is found hanging from the calling with a noose

around it's neck .... dun... dun... duuuuuuuuuh.:eek:

Edited by jtwanabe

Not defending him at all...I think you were right to complain.

But...it sounds like he is "very structured" and cannot veer from "the rules". I think this is common among people from the former Soviet Union (and certain personality types).

I don't think this is the right job for him....

Just by his size I would have been intimated by him...but...that's something he can't help. (I'm short...I am always intimidated by tall people.)

Veer from the rules?!?!?!?!?!?! This man made up his own rules. To knock and enter is against the rules. You can't take the glasses out of the room? So are you supposed to drink out of dirty glasses during the cruise? They have replacements, just look on their carts, they are on the top shelf.

There is NO EXCUSE for this behavior. The guy is a jerk. It does not matter where he is from. For the record, I would have adjusted his tip. A gratuity is just that. A reward for good service. Bad service does not warrant a reward.

I would copy this post and send it straight to Miami...via snail mail to Guest Services....3655 NW 87 Avenue, Miami, Fl 86225

That experience was ridiculous and he either needs to shape up or ship out!

I totally agree. Ringy Dingy ;)

I am sure they run what background checks that they can but with these workers coming from so many different countries I would think that not all of them have very good reporting systems for this type of thing or not like they are in the US. In many countries things like that are not reported at all.

Background checks aren't perfect either. Even in the US a background check will only identify someone who has already done something. Unless you expand it to include several rounds of interviews, which is very expensive and time consuming, you're going to basically get a criminal record check, maybe a drug test, and some personal references submitted by the person being investigated. Going beyond that for hotel workers is pretty dang unlikely.