just off explorer (last sunday)

macfin

Hello all, just off another Explorer of the Seas cruise ---sadly this was the last ExoS to Bermuda for 7 days...but, besides that she did not disapoint! I will start with embarkation and eventually will have pictures up as well..a little background on us:

we are mom and dad and 2 boys 6 and 9 -- we did this cruise pretty much last minute as we had originally booked Norwegian Breakaway for the same week -- what mde us change this to RCCL and Explorer really was the reviews on here about Breakaway and the port times , which would have not given us enough time in florida -- this really turned out to be a good decision as they skipped a port b/c it was too rough , at Great Stirup Cay , which i believe is also next to RCCL CoCo Cay , which RCCL went to on the same day w/out a problem...

so this is 4th voyager class cruise ,3rd on EXoS , 2 criuse for my youngest and 4th for my oldest...

this is my opinion and sure others may disagree!

Embrkation:

was flawless as usual we arrived at the port by 10am with a pretty uneventful ride from CT -- BTW--we stopped at the darien rest area (south 95) which had just re-opened and was neat and clean -- had great breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches at cheese boy---

we dropped the bags off at the drop off with out a hitch -- went and paid to park $137 for 7 days -- parked in the 3 rd row --got the family out took our pics of us ifo the ship (from the parking lot) my boys where super excited and we got our carry ons and proceeded to the terminal -- we made it thru security and went to our platinum chk in and we scored a #1 bus pass -- got up to the RCCL counter got our sea pass cards and went to the priority boarding section --- oh yeah got our pre-cruise pic and kid snacked on cookies and lemonade and i had at least 3 cups of coffee --- this is really only "bad" part is witing in that little priority lounge -- and not being able to hear the announcements---RCCL you should really do something about this --- better system here...

But still very seamless -- got on bus made to the ship and i was trying to contain our excitement ...

more later -- geting on board and the windjammer --- whats for lunch and the first DOD...

We were on for 3 B2B in Sept/Oct and loved our EOS cruise!!! The ship was in great shape and she has a wonderful crew. :)

They changed to the coupon book while we were on, to the Sea Pass card and it is easier than carrying around all those coupons!

We had smaller portions in the MDR than we remember but it was not a problem. The waiter agreed with us, that the portions were scaled down.

Have a fun cruise.:)

Any sign of construction of the new terminal? Also what time did you arrive at the terminal?

We were also on the Oct 27th Explorer cruise. We saw no new construction in the terminal. We parked at Premier and there was a long delay waiting for the shuttle van at the parking lot. We had gotten there at 11:00am along with everyone else apparently. There was a steady line of cars coming into the lot. They have 3 vans to shuttle people back and forth. But the problem is that between 11:00am and 1:00pm, everyone is arriving and this causes a massive backup on the single road coming into the terminal. The shuttle vans were stuck in the traffic and could not get back to the lot quick enough.

In the future, we will arrive at the parking lot around 10:00am or after 1:00pm. Around 10:00am, they are running back and forth picking people up that are getting off the ship. So it is less crowded just jumping on the van to get over to the terminal. One would have to wait awhile in the terminal before boarding, but it is better sitting there than standing out in the cold at the parking lot.

We were also on the Oct 27th Explorer cruise. We saw no new construction in the terminal. We parked at Premier and there was a long delay waiting for the shuttle van at the parking lot. We had gotten there at 11:00am along with everyone else apparently. There was a steady line of cars coming into the lot. They have 3 vans to shuttle people back and forth. But the problem is that between 11:00am and 1:00pm, everyone is arriving and this causes a massive backup on the single road coming into the terminal. The shuttle vans were stuck in the traffic and could not get back to the lot quick enough.

In the future, we will arrive at the parking lot around 10:00am or after 1:00pm. Around 10:00am, they are running back and forth picking people up that are getting off the ship. So it is less crowded just jumping on the van to get over to the terminal. One would have to wait awhile in the terminal before boarding, but it is better sitting there than standing out in the cold at the parking lot.

So if you had gotten there earlier on embarkation day, you had no problems otherwise with Premier Parking?? I've read nothing but bad reviews about them and was planning on parking at the pier which is much more $. How long did you wait once you disembarked on the final day to be picked up by their van?

Thank you everyone...

so we get on the ship -- head straight to wind jammer -- we where early enough not to wait to long for the elevator from deck 1 to windjammer -- my kids where awestruck and i really gave a new meaning to cruising seeing there expressions at everyturn -- we continue to WJ ---and are greeted by those 2 words "washy washy" --- so my youngest actually almost beat her to it -- and they (my son) and washy/washy had a game of who could say the fastest all week -YES -- we (i feel) where the first to the Honey Stung Chicken-- good as always -- what else i like was the different make your own stations all week---again -- kids loved it -- upon leaving we bought the 5 bottle wine package for $165 good selection as well --- by this time we started our explortion--went to the pool deck (11) so the boys can see them -- still a little chilly to actually go in them -- made our way to Adventure Ocean and signed up the boys and get there bands -- found out that only about 125 kids on this sailing --WOW--started to get a little nervous that they would not want to go -- so mom and i went down to the aquarium bar and got our first DOD -- Pina Colada for mom and a mango rum drink (no not a Mango Tango -- although that does happen) --- tried our room about 115 and it was ready -- we were on deck nine inside (that little interior hall way in the aft) 9469 --- small but really nice -- wierd how the pullman beds come out over the main bed --met our steward and he was so firendly to us and the boys always had kind words and kept a clean room for us ---muster drill was pretty un eventful --but it is nice that they take it serious -- they got angry with a couple of young (term used loosely) woman who where already on there way to a good time (if you know what i mean) and kept making fun of the crew members -- and chatting the whole time --finally the lead crew member threatened them with a fine and they SHUT UP --- serious business here --- so enough today --- ready for dinner ??? day 2 sun and cold oh NO???

So if you had gotten there earlier on embarkation day, you had no problems otherwise with Premier Parking?? I've read nothing but bad reviews about them and was planning on parking at the pier which is much more $. How long did you wait once you disembarked on the final day to be picked up by their van?

I got the idea about arriving early after we were picked up after the cruise. We only had to wait about 5 minutes for the Premier van to arrive to take us back to the parking lot. When we got back to the lot at about 10:00am, there were a few cars pulling into the lot. There were only about 5-6 people waiting to be taken to the terminal for the next cruise. There was very little traffic and no delays. The shuttle vans run back and forth continuously. It is the lousy traffic situation around 11:00am through about 1:00pm getting to the terminal that causes all the delays and most likely the bad reviews. They could have 10 shuttles and there still would be bad delays during the rush time.

....muster drill was pretty un eventful --but it is nice that they take it serious -- they got angry with a couple of young (term used loosely) woman who where already on there way to a good time (if you know what i mean) and kept making fun of the crew members -- and chatting the whole time --finally the lead crew member threatened them with a fine and they SHUT UP --- serious business here --- so enough today --- ready for dinner ??? day 2 sun and cold oh NO???

Did you see the girl with the blue Mohawk haircut? :eek: She was late teens to early twenties. We happened to be the same place as she was a few times.... She was certainly an attraction. She was pretty drunk on Halloween. We saw her getting off the elevator on Deck 5 and she was already stumbling and falling... Luckly she had some friend to half carry her along... I thought she might have been kicked off the ship in Bermuda, but we saw her again on the way back to NY.

Was also on this cruise and the wife and I had a great time. It seemed the seven days just flew by. Hope to be on her one more time before she leaves Port Liberty. Someone mentioned something about construction going on, Not on the pier the ship is docked at, but the pier next to it was well under construction for something new. Maybe this could become the new pier for Quantum of the Seas. Just a thought.

th_IMG_7050_zpsc9ce2be0.jpg

our first morning

th_IMG_7123_zpsee1abdc6.jpg

always love these guys -- and yes we had sun and yes we swam and laid in the sun--the pool to the left (i think -- the one behind them with the smaller hot tubes was heated)

Day 2 ...after a casual dinner with all of us -- GREAT wait staff the previuos night --Robello from India and Made from Indonesia --very attentive and so friendly -- very knowledgable -- we did MY TIME --and i highly recommend this -- sorry i am not a food picture guy -- meals where all quite good --- great seasonal breads --

so Day 2 --brought me and the boys up early --probably around 730 --so we leave to go explore --- head to windjammer and we see our assistant waiter -- Made --as the greater -- he took time to talk to the kids and so we went to get french toast/panacakes/waffles/ juice and coffee --- a like the seattles best that they serve --- and i really think it is the same that they serve in the starbucks on board ---(LOL)..dont frag me on this --b/c is was disappointed with the starbucks --def. not the same as land based --HEY RCCL --send your barrista's to work for Starbucks ---and then unleash them ---

so we explore to the sports court and play some table tennis and a little mini golf -- in the mean time we watch a very cool sun rise --speaking of cool the morning started out cool and very sunny --but warmed up rather quickly ---went back to the room got mom and went for breakfast 2 in the main dining room --gotta love the cereal bar --besides that i was not impressed with breakfast ----lunch was another story --fantastic --great burger / pasta nd sandwiches --PLUS -- the awesome salad bar!!!

we did swim and as i previously stated the pool that was closer to the smaller hot tubs was heated --and believe if i had not gone in it i would have never believed it --but it was -- we enjoyed mango tango's and a good book --

typical sea day --RELAXING ---kids went to kids club every afternoon and enjoyed everything..

dinner main dining rooms and did not disapoint -- spent some time after dinner listening the music in the aquarium bar..

Day 3 weather keeps getting better --drinks are getting stronger as well..

Enjoying the review. Off to a great start. Subscribing as we will be on Explorer in March. I would love to hear about any tips, secret decks or places, or any other info you care to share.

Thanks for letting us come aboard....:D

we where just as surprised about that pool being warmer that the rest, and it was 10x's warmer that the other main pool and the one in the solarium...it was strange..and no there was not a ton of people peeing in it:eek:..lol

My husband and I were also on this sailing. Had a great time in bermuda. Like always the beautiful Explorer never disappoints! Our captain Henrick Loy did a great job at navigating us through the rough seas on our last sea day back to Bayonne. We enjoyed the wave pool in the Solarium lol!