Spirit Dry Dock?

repeater

Anybody know anything about the Spirit's dry dock scheduled for January 2014? We're looking to book after that, but not if they install deal breakers, like the Dawn and the Star. Is it just a spruce up and repaint, or major overhaul?

Anybody know anything about the Spirit's dry dock scheduled for January 2014? We're looking to book after that, but not if they install deal breakers, like the Dawn and the Star. Is it just a spruce up and repaint, or major overhaul?

If you mean something radical, like eliminating the Spinnaker for some more cabins, I doubt it....but you can tell if you look up the deck plans for the Spriit on the NCL site....they should show a before drydock and after drydock difference if there is going to be one. If not, then all is well....

No Spinnaker-definitely a deal breaker as there's no where else to hang out, get those great sea views during the day and dance. I didn't know they'd done that to the Dawn. No spinnaker and no great outdoor. Last time I was on the Dawn that's where I hung out every night as I love dancing to music. Fire and Ice were on board. Also Patti and Jose on the next sailing on the Dawn. I will know not to book on the Star either. I hope they don't do that to the Jewel class ships. Hanging out at the Bliss disco is just not the same.

The other ships did not eliminate Spinnaker, they just moved it. Made room for some really nice suites. Excellent move on NCL's part.

That's the deal breaker I referred to...making a "really nice" space for very few passengers, while taking the view from hundreds at the same time. I'm not thrilled with the Caste system, where the Haves get the best, and the Have Nots ...well, should have booked another line.

The Spinnaker during the day is one of the nicest places on a ship!

I don't *see* any before-and-after on the website, but the dry dock time seems too long for just paint. We were on a RCCL ship just before drydock, and they were poised to move, planning to work day and night the moment the last passengers hauled thier bags off the ship. In face, as we were disembarking, we already saw carpet bring pulled up and chairs carried off. They can move quick!

I think that while it may have been "a good move for business", to remove the Spinnaker from the Dawn and Star, and install more cabins (both suites and insides), it certainly does take away from attractivelness of the ship. While they can call the new lounge "The Spinnaker", it is no substitute, with its location low and aft where the shops used to be. They more accurately should have called it "The Bliss Lounge". The ship's did have a net loss of one lounge, as the shops were relocated to where the secondary lounge was.

So there you go.....more passenger's aboard, and less public space.:(

A ten day break is not that long....besides refurbishing carpets, upholstery, etc., they also have time to replace mechanical components such as the azipod thrust bearings.

Much of the crew remains aboard, participating in the refurbishment...

That's the deal breaker I referred to...making a "really nice" space for very few passengers, while taking the view from hundreds at the same time. I'm not thrilled with the Caste system, where the Haves get the best, and the Have Nots ...well, should have booked another line.

The Spinnaker during the day is one of the nicest places on a ship!

I don't *see* any before-and-after on the website, but the dry dock time seems too long for just paint. We were on a RCCL ship just before drydock, and they were poised to move, planning to work day and night the moment the last passengers hauled thier bags off the ship. In face, as we were disembarking, we already saw carpet bring pulled up and chairs carried off. They can move quick!

According to the ships officers, the old Spinnakers was the most under utilized space on the ship. Except for evening entertainment, there were rarely more than a dozen or so people in there at any one time, the reason the bar was almost always closed during the day.

Speaking of haves and have nots, having a choice of Chevy or Cadilac, Mercedes etc must make you crazy then. Same with housing for $50K or 1 million. Everyone gets the same??? We all get to spend the our money the way we want. I much prefer an Owners Suite where the old Spinnaker Lounge was, and you can hang out in the new Spinnaker or not. Choices for both of us? I hope they convert the remaining ships and give us further choices.;)

According to the ships officers, the old Spinnakers was the most under utilized space on the ship. Except for evening entertainment, there were rarely more than a dozen or so people in there at any one time, the reason the bar was almost always closed during the day.

Speaking of haves and have nots, having a choice of Chevy or Cadilac, Mercedes etc must make you crazy then. Same with housing for $50K or 1 million. Everyone gets the same??? We all get to spend the our money the way we want. I much prefer an Owners Suite where the old Spinnaker Lounge was, and you can hang out in the new Spinnaker or not. Choices for both of us? I hope they convert the remaining ships and give us further choices.;)

It's fine, of course, but I've heard a LOT of people vow they will avoid the "improved" ships...and that's lost revenue, obviously.

In my case, I do see it as a loud negative, which is why I asked in the first place. Thanks, All, for the responses!

It's fine, of course, but I've heard a LOT of people vow they will avoid the "improved" ships...and that's lost revenue, obviously.

In my case, I do see it as a loud negative, which is why I asked in the first place. Thanks, All, for the responses!

Yep, but there are tons of new cruisers and the ships are still sailing full, hence they keep building the new mega ships and they certainly don't have all that wasted space. Different strokes for different folks.;)