Going from Picasa 3 to Lightroom 5

wmjivey

I am putting this down for Xmas and was wondering in advance how easy will it be to transfer one to the other? Do I restore all images to unedited then transfer or what?

I have a lot of pics I would like to readdress with lightroom.

John

I am putting this down for Xmas and was wondering in advance how easy will it be to transfer one to the other? Do I restore all images to unedited then transfer or what?

I have a lot of pics I would like to readdress with lightroom.

John

As long as the files formats are compatible you shouldn't have to any changes. The main thing what is the file extension that Picasso 3 puts on the file. If it is a jpg , mpg , pmg ro other extensions shouldn't have a problem.

If Picasso uses uses it own files extension then you might have an issue.

Example your_name .jpg jpg is the extension I'm referring to.

Picasa is a non-destructive tool - any of the changes you request are kept in a picasa.ini file, and the only way to have images with those changes is to export. Therefore you can easily import the unaltered images into Lightroom.

I would HIGHLY recommend a book (honestly ANY book, but please have something handy) to help you with the transition. I'm addicted to LR, but it was a really "different" program to learn just from an image import perspective.

You'll also have to develop your own styles regarding how you use LR. I've become real proficient with ranking photos, which is a massive time-saver if you can whittle down a shoot to a select group (our 2010 cruise was 5400 shots, which I whittled down to 100 though my wife brought another 75 in later). I usually go through and rank anything halfway usable as '2', then view just the 2+ and downgrade anything fuzzy to a '1' (making them fall out of my 2+ views). From there, sometimes I batch-change all of the remaining 2s to 3, view 3+ only, and downgrade the less-than-stellar to 2 (giving me just the 3s). After that, it's learning your own style in the Develop module, and then how to shift-copy to clone the edits (primarily white balance for me) from one shot to a whole series.