Hawaii Experts READ - Maui (Beach & Waterfall Help)

hamlettm

Hey everyone,

As usual THANKS for any help I can get in advance. I've been busy working and haven't had any time for research. Our ship will be in Maui for 2 days and I needed some help.

All I have planned so far is the Haleakala Crater at Sunrise trip. My wife wants to go to a nice beach, relax, snorkel some, etc. Can I rent a car anywhere close to the ship or even walk to the nicest beach? If not can anyone tell me the best beach with snorkeling?

Also is there a place near the ship where we can view any waterfalls or swim under a waterfall?

So to cap off......

1) How far from cruise port to rent a car?

2) Whats the nicest beach for snorkeling close by?

3) Whats the best beach for beauty and relacing?

4) Where can we see a nice waterfall without driving for hours?

THANKS!

1) How far from cruise port to rent a car?

2) Whats the nicest beach for snorkeling close by?

3) Whats the best beach for beauty and relaxing?

4) Where can we see a nice waterfall without driving for hours?

THANKS!

Kahului is very close to the airport car rentals.. and shuttles go there and not far from waterfalls along the road to Hana.. you can stop at the first one or keep going to Hana for the 7 pools, or the 2 BIG waterfalls

I would head to Hana.. and stop at Keanae, then Oheo Gulch Kipahulu

Lahaina has quite a few car rental places right there.. the beach by Sheraton Maui on Whalers beach is pretty good for snorkeling, beauty and relaxing.. about 6km from Lahaina,, or drive towards Kihei and pick any beach you pass by.. but if you make it to Kihei, then Kamaole Beach III is a good place.

Happy Trails!

Hey everyone,

As usual THANKS for any help I can get in advance. I've been busy working and haven't had any time for research. Our ship will be in Maui for 2 days and I needed some help.

All I have planned so far is the Haleakala Crater at Sunrise trip. My wife wants to go to a nice beach, relax, snorkel some, etc. Can I rent a car anywhere close to the ship or even walk to the nicest beach? If not can anyone tell me the best beach with snorkeling?

Also is there a place near the ship where we can view any waterfalls or swim under a waterfall?

So to cap off......

1) How far from cruise port to rent a car? If in Kahului there are many rental options at the airport 5 minutes away.

2) Whats the nicest beach for snorkeling close by? In my opinion that would be Waikea's Ulua/ Mokapu beach about 30 minutes from Kahului.

3) Whats the best beach for beauty and relacing? The beaches easily accessed in front of the Wailea resorts are good (same area as Ulua/Mokapu). There are a couple of less developed beautiful beaches a short distance past Wailea.

4) Where can we see a nice waterfall without driving for hours? Nothing on the sunny dry leeward side of any island which are the best beach areas. You'd have to drive the Road to Hana to get to the best waterfalls.

THANKS!

Hope these suggestions help & we spend a lot of our beach time near Wailea. Ulua/Mokapu is an excellent easily accessible location for snorkeling & a beach visit. We go there often when friends visit us & they have a great time. Paved parking, showers, toilets and good snorkeling. As at any site the conditions can vary but found Ulua/Mokapu (different sides of a lava point) to be reliable for snorkeling or diving. Don't snorkel/dive when it's rough...murky water with poor visibility is the most common condition for shark attacks which can happen anywhere. :eek:

hamlettm

What port / ship / date are you sailing ?

You might find time for snorkeling off molokini... I really enjoy using http://www.pacificwhale.org/cruises/snorkel-cruises

also,, there is a lot of very good information on this site.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=472

Cheers!

Edited by meester_jamie

Be sure to arrange your car rental before you get there. It will speed up the process and probably save you money. If you are a Costco member, you can rent via their site.

Another good option for car rentals is Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. They are a broker for the major rental agencies. You don't pay until you pick the veh. up. Click on "Maui - Kahului Harbour" in this link, and then check rates with each company. You can book on line. Also note the shuttle arrangements for each agency. (They don't list the name of the agency, but A = Avis, B = Budget, C = Thrifty, D = Dollar).

With your list, I would suggest you get a 2 day car rental. There is some port parking available. Several car rental companies available. Reserve AHEAD.

I too, highly recommend the Molokini snorkel boat tours. Just excellent.