St. Croix Independently?

Kim in CA

Hi Everyone. I have spent a good deal of time this past weekend researching shore activities for our upcoming April cruisel. I love planning vacations, so this is actually fun for me (something my husband will never understand ) We are in our mid-50's, and we love to travel. Being from the west coast most of our tropical vacations have been spent in Hawaii or the Pacific coast of Mexico. We did go on one other Caribbean cruise (also out of San Juan in 2007), but only repeat ports of call on this cruise are Dominica and St. Thomas. We will also be visiting Grenada and St. Kitts this time.

We are really torn about what to do while in St. Croix. At first it seemed like an easy decision to go to Buck Island on a snorkel tour, as snorkeling is one of our favorite activities. There are numerous tour companies who receive stellar reviews. But we prefer smaller tour groups to ensure more compatibility of interests and abilities.

I have been reading about some other wonderful easily accessed snorkel beaches on the island, and I imagine there are some good local restaurants and beach bars. It appears that some car rental agencies on the island will deliver a car to you at the cruise terminal (including Avis), and I have read several places that it is easy to drive around the island.

I suspect we could also hire a private guide or taxi for the day, especially if we could find someone with similar interest to share. (I read about a company called Tan Tan tours, but after looking at their website pictures, I don't think we are their typical demographic :))

For those who have visited St. Croix before, what would you recommend? Any experience with independently exploring via rental car?

Thanks in advance.

Kim

I visit St. Croix annually by land so am happy to be of help. A Buck Island excursion is definitely a lovely day. If you choose to go on Tesoro with Captain Heinz out of Green Cay Marina, you will probably be with a smaller group. Most excursions spend about 1 to 1.5 hours actually snorkeling at the National Park Reef and then some time on Turtle Beach on the island which is spectacular. But you will not be alone. It is popular.

If you prefer to go it on your own, I think you will have a fun day. Not sure about the rental car situation but I am pretty confident that one would bring you a car to the port. Try Centerline or Judi of St. Croix. Driving on the left is not difficult as their cars still have the driver's side on our usual left side. The island is 26 miles long so you can see quite a bit of it in a day. If you go to the St. Croix forum on Tripadvisor, there is an article pinned that will give you good recommendations for snorkeling spots. And, yes, there are quite a few and quite a few fun places to eat (Rowdy Joe's and eat@Cane Bay would be top lunch choices for me).

I can be reached at ccrosner@aol.com if you or others have more questions. I am not always looking at this part of CC.

• 1 month later...
We are four couples, will be there in Feb and do not like cruise ship trips. What is the best beach for snorkeling with snack bar/restaurant and restrooms? Thanks,

Steve in CT [salt Water]

Hi Steve,

There are probably three options for you given your requirements (which are good ones!).

The Buccaneer Hotel - on the east side of C'sted. Would take about 40 minutes to get there. Lovely resort, two beach restaurants, lounge chairs, bathrooms, etc. Two beaches both very nice and the reef off the beaches (one close and the other a bit of a ways out) have great sea life.

Tamarind Reef Hotel - close to the Buccaneer. Less upscale. Deep End Bar is there for food and restrooms. Folks like the snorkeling there.

Cane Bay Beach - several beach bars/restaurants at this popular long beach. Great diving off the beach. Not sure how great the snorkeling is. About 20 minutes from the port. Eat @ Cane Bay is a great restaurant right there.

Check out the St. Croix forum on Tripadvisor for a link to great snorkeling spots. Very friendly and helpful group of 'experts' who can help you out.

• 1 month later...