Mylene Paquette

renne

That's fantastic news. Mylene Paquette waved to us from her tiny rowing-boat in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when QM2 stopped to give her certain supplies in September. Mylene is one very special young lady - four months alone at the mercy of the Atlantic Ocean requires a very special kind of courage. Attached herewith is a photo I took of her tiny craft.

038.jpg.5d3081062bc11cfa4b8ccce98281b237.jpg

That's fantastic news. Mylene Paquette waved to us from her tiny rowing-boat in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when QM2 stopped to give her certain supplies in September. Mylene is one very special young lady - four months alone at the mercy of the Atlantic Ocean requires a very special kind of courage. Attached herewith is a photo I took of her tiny craft.

That picture really gives you a sense of perspective - that tiny boat on such a vast body of water. Thanks for sharing it. She is a very brave woman and I am glad she accomplished her goal.

Or a complete Selfish Idiot who potently put Rescuers Lives at Risk .

We see this all the time around the bottom of Tasmania , and the Aussie

Taxpayer is getting sick and tired of paying for it.

That picture really gives you a sense of perspective - that tiny boat on such a vast body of water. Thanks for sharing it. She is a very brave woman and I am glad she accomplished her goal.

Captain Oprey said in a radio interview that Mylene is a very brave woman. She almost gave up around the half way mark but found the courage to keep going. I couldn't believe it when Mylene told the news reporters that she is fearful of water.

She's almost as bad as that terrible guy Captain Cook who put his whole crew at risk sailing to Australia.:):):)

As one passenger who was enthralled that September morning in mid-Atlantic when QM2 sent her a new phone, anchor and other supplies I'm delighted that she has made it. Congratulations to a very determined and focussed lady who has made many Canadians and others proud of her. :):):)

Edited by SEFlyer

Would you have the courage to attempt this, I know I would not even if I were 50+ years younger?

All the great adventurers of the past were "condemned" as" show offs", "idiots", "mad , etc by those who preferred the status quo. including the first humans to migrate into the East and Europe.

We too were on the QM2 that day and found it exciting to see her. Actually it was one of the highlights of the cruise. Couldn't believe how tiny the boat was. I took a bunch of pictures.

Even though I couldn't imagine ever doing something like that I certainly admire her fortitude and tenacity.

So glad she made it safely to France.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Would you have the courage to attempt this, I know I would not even if I were 50+ years younger?

All the great adventurers of the past were "condemned" as" show offs", "idiots", "mad , etc by those who preferred the status quo. including the first humans to migrate into the East and Europe.

Mrs Jimgirl, I hadn't looked at it that way, but you make a very good point. But to risk one's life rowing across the Atlantic solo? I've read about people who donate a kidney to a stranger, and so many others we meet in everyday life who have extraordinary courage that never make the headlines. Cheers to those courageous people who serve as an example to us all. And having read your posts, I feel you are one of those courageous females that serve as an example to the following generations. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Thank you Salacia, though I am not that "courageous" , my experiences were the result of outside events, over which I had no control.

To do something in "cold blood" is more difficult. As the saying says, "A brave man/woman dies but once, a coward dies a thousand times"

For instance, to be "brave" and assist the wounded while under fire during the Blitz, was in one sense "easy", but to make a formal decision to hide a Jewish family or escaping aircrew/soldier , knowing that you will be tortured and killed if you are found out requires a far higher quality of courage. IMO of course.

These days my "courage" consists of deciding whether or not to eat the curry in the Britannia dining room! I am a veritable coward when it comes to eating my Southern son in law's favourite food -"Grits"!

• 4 weeks later...

We've just got off the QM2 where Mylene did an interview with the entertainment director with questions from the audience on board in the theatre. It was really interesting and she came across so natural.

Very well done to her, it's a huge feat and she seemed so appreciative to be invited on board.

This from Cunard facebook page.....

Back in September, officers and crew on board Queen Mary 2 came to the aid of Canadian solo rower Mylène Paquette after she capsized during her 130 day solo row of the Atlantic, from Halifax to Lorient in France. Following a short voyage on board our flagship Queen last week, Mylène finally got to meet Captain Kevin Oprey who was Master of QM2 the day the ship provided supplies to her at sea.

On that day, the ship donated a new satellite phone and two drogue anchors, fresh fruit and vegetables, bread, pastries, chocolate, bottled water and hot drinks. But there was one thing that Captain Oprey and the team hadn’t been able to provide her with as she had requested – a blanket.

So when they met on board Queen Mary 2 for the first time yesterday, Captain Oprey presented Mylène with a Cunard blanket as a souvenir of their rendezvous in the Atlantic.

Captain Oprey said: “We were happy to have given assistance to Mylène and helped her recover from the damage inflicted by the storm but at Cunard we like to finish the job which is why I was so keen to meet Mylène to congratulate her on her extraordinary feat – and to present her with the blanket!”

Today, Mylène gave a fascinating and inspirational insights lecture to staff at our offices in Carnival House – she talked about the inspiration behind her solo row and what happened the day she met Queen Mary 2.

These days my "courage" consists of deciding whether or not to eat the curry in the Britannia dining room! I am a veritable coward when it comes to eating my Southern son in law's favourite food -"Grits"!

You can practice by buying a box of "Grits", dumping said "grits" in the garbage and adding cinnamon and butter to the shredded box.