Oistins Friday Fish Fry

John Bull

We're in port overnite on arrival Friday 29th Nov & want to experience party-time in Oistins. Guessing 8pm to 9pm would be about right?

Have searched the board without success, apologies if I missed any info.

Can anyone advise whether we can get a bus (presumably from Bridgetown) to Oistins that evening?

More important, can we get a bus back at daft o'clock?

Approx cost? And frequency? USD acceptable?

Or the cost of a taxi. And availability of taxis for the return.

I have a vague recollection of the number 11, Bridgetown to Silver Sands, decades ago. Very soothing & peaceful melodic background music as I recall ;)

And any bright ideas for the next day?

Been to Barbados a few times in the distant past, so done the usual & looking for something a bit off-beat.

JB :)

Hope "Barbados" (his screen name) will see this and reply.

I love the Flying Fish Sandwiches in Barbados ... and he told me several places where they are best. He's very well informed and quite helpful.

Normally, he checks here about once a week ....

Also, you might want to check the "All treads by Barbados". He's given lots of info on out of the way places to go in the past.

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

I’d plan to get to Oistins no later than 7:30pm. 6pm is better! There is a large queue after 7:30 or 8pm on Friday nights.

The last time we went there was a couple of years ago and the hot food ‘shacks’ were Pat’s; Crystal’s or see Steve @ Uncle Georges. Good food and lots of it!

Try the flying fish and cou-cou / macaroni pie / jug-jug (if they have it this early); conkies and try a mauby drink. We just love the flying fish but the lobster is grand, too, if in season otherwise it comes from The Grenadines and is good, but expensive.

You can bus-it if you wish. I’d walk on Princess Alice Hwy and catch a ZR van for US$2.00 or a taxi for maybe US$15 one way (US$25.00/hr. for up to four (4) in the cab).

There are loads of cabs waiting to return folks back to B-town and the Harbour, so I wouldn’t worry about return transport. You really don’t want to be standing out on the coast road at 11pm waiting for a bus, my friend.

On you next full day I’d go see Harrison’s Cave if you haven’t already and, best of all, please go see our East Coast! It is another island.

Have a grand holiday! :)

(p.s. to OCRUISERS: thanks for the kind words however I’m just a transient tourist that gets to stay on the island for 3-4 months every year and I get rusty with some of the details. I’ve read many of your posts and they are quite helpful and concise. I thank you for your astute and helpful participation). :)

If I'm not mistaken

all Transport Board last-bus services are at 11 p.m.

aiming to be back in the yard and everything shut down by midnight.

I'd aim to bus it to Oistins

but take a taxi back -he'll drop you right at the Port's gatehouse

which the bus will not.

You don't want to be walking across Bridgetown at 11:30

from the Fairchild St. bus-terminal to the Port. ;)

Many thanks for the responses.

So it'll be bus there for around 7 - 7.30, & taxi back.

If the return journey goes belly-up, we have about 16 hours before back-on-board time :D

Not planning to buy Barbados dollars.

Or should we?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Many thanks for the responses.

So it'll be bus there for around 7 - 7.30, & taxi back.

If the return journey goes belly-up, we have about 16 hours before back-on-board time :D

Not planning to buy Barbados dollars.

Or should we?

Hi JB

How did it go ?

We are overnight on Azura in March, planning on going to Oistins and then onto Harbour Lights making the most of our last night.

Thanks in advance of any tips

Helen

Hi JB

How did it go ?

We are overnight on Azura in March, planning on going to Oistins and then onto Harbour Lights making the most of our last night.

Thanks in advance of any tips

Helen

Hi, Helen.

Yes, AOK.

Since we were planning to hire a moke for the Saturday, we actually booked it 5pm Friday to 5pm Saturday, which cost no more. And we drove ourselves to Oistins.

Set off about 6.30, easy navigation (get on the right road in the centre of B/town & its a straight run), slow traffic, took 30 minutes or more, but easy free parking.

Very busy, popular food stalls had long queues & others were dead, mooched the stalls soaking up the atmosphere & the Reggae music, enjoyed a meal on makeshift trestle table, lots of Reggae music. Headed back to the ship about 9.30 pretty tired.

Went through Oistins next day on an island drive, Oistins was totally dead . But it was Independence Day & we got caught up in a couple of village carnival processions elsewhere on the island - their idea of a carnival is a lot of people following a truck blaring out Reggae.:rolleyes::)

Oistins fish fry is Friday nite & Saturday nite.

Reggae music both nites.

Might retire to Barbados.

But only if I go deaf :D

ps did I mention there was Reggae music. ;)

Quite a lot of it.

Edited by John Bull

Hi, Helen.

Yes, AOK.

Since we were planning to hire a moke for the Saturday, we actually booked it 5pm Friday to 5pm Saturday, which cost no more. And we drove ourselves to Oistins.

Set off about 6.30, easy navigation (get on the right road in the centre of B/town & its a straight run), slow traffic but easy free parking.

Very busy, popular food stalls had long queues & others were dead, mooched the stalls soaking up the atmosphere & the Reggae music, enjoyed a meal on makeshift trestle table, lots of Reggae music. Headed back to the ship about 9.30 pretty tired.

Went through Oistins next day on an island drive, it was totally dead . But it was Independence Day & we got caught up in a couple of village carnival processions elsewhere on the island - their idea is a lot of people following a truck blaring out Reggae.:rolleyes::)

Might retire to Barbados.

But only if I go deaf :D

ps did I mention there was Reggae music. ;)

Quite a lot of it.

Thanks JB :D