Cash for on board account?

rosestar2013

Can I use cash to set up my on board account? How much do I have to put down? We cruised on another line and as long as I didn't go over my charge limit (500 I think) I didn't have to actually put any cash down until the end. I do not have a credit card and I will not be using my debit card. My boyfriend has a credit card but we would rather use cash.

My friends did cash accounts last December, and they didn't put anything down when they checked in at the terminal. The first day on board, they put some money down at guest services. I don't know why they didn't do it at check-in, but apparently you don't have to do it then. Just put down enough to cover the auto-tips ($11.50pp per day) plus whatever else you think you will spend. You can always add more later.

We have always put the amount of the tips for the two of us, plus way extra to cover drinks, steak house, gift shop, etc. At the end of the cruise, you will get a refund for what you don't spend. The last cruise, we cashed out at guest service on the last night to avoid the long lines that formed the morning of debarkation.

Hi Rosestar :)

Your question:

Can I use cash to set up my onboard account?

How much do I have to put down?

The answer is yes. Deposit info below.

On Carnivals web site this is what the (recommended) not

required, cash deposits are:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit per person

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit per person

9+ day cruises: $350 deposit per person

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

We have used cash in the past. We put $300 down to cover all of our expenses, including tips, since we don't drink much. On the last night, we went down to guest services and closed our account. All went very smoothly.

You don't have to put money down the first day, but if you are going to drink or shop, you will need to put money down within 24 hours or so I am pretty sure. What cruise line allows you to wait and put money down at the end of the cruise??

We have used cash in the past. We put $300 down to cover all of our expenses, including tips, since we don't drink much. On the last night, we went down to guest services and closed our account. All went very smoothly.

You don't have to put money down the first day, but if you are going to drink or shop, you will need to put money down within 24 hours or so I am pretty sure. What cruise line allows you to wait and put money down at the end of the cruise??

When we went on Royal last winter we didn't actually give them the cash until the last night. I had heard that as long as the balance on your account was not over a certain amount they wouldn't send you to guest services. So we tried it and it worked. On the last night I went down and paid the bill. It was less then 200. Just wondering if we could do the same thing on Carnival.

Can I use cash to set up my on board account? How much do I have to put down? We cruised on another line and as long as I didn't go over my charge limit (500 I think) I didn't have to actually put any cash down until the end. I do not have a credit card and I will not be using my debit card. My boyfriend has a credit card but we would rather use cash.

I did cash last trip but I usually do debit. Either one works fine but I believe they put a large hold on your debit if you choose to use it for your account. They have you put the cash down at checkin and it is credited to your s/s account. Now I didn't use my entire $200 because I didn't get to go on the excursion I planned on doing and I didn't get a bottle of wine like I had planned so I had quite a bit left at the end. I believe they will refund you at guest services at the end of the trip or just mail you a check about a week later. I didn't want to wait in line for a refund so I waited for my check to arrive at home last week. Either way works and is easy enough. Just remember to keep your receipt for the cash deposit in case there is any discrepancy later.

When we went on Royal last winter we didn't actually give them the cash until the last night. I had heard that as long as the balance on your account was not over a certain amount they wouldn't send you to guest services. So we tried it and it worked. On the last night I went down and paid the bill. It was less then 200. Just wondering if we could do the same thing on Carnival.

No. Carnival requires you to have the cash in your account in order to spend money. We had used a cash deposit on last year's Triumph cruise, and when we went to buy a picture, they wouldn't let us, as it was over the amount remaining in our account. Had to go put money in at the kiosk in order to purchase the pictures.

We make a cash deposit prior to cruising for our onboard account. I think we did that directly through Carnival, but I can't remember exactly, don't think it was through our booking or PVP. When we checked in at the ship, the money was showing as already being paid. It was very nice to have paid that onboard money well in advance of cruising and not have to worry about having money or putting a credit card down. At the end of the cruise we have always had a reimbursement for the money not spent in the form of a check the night before debarking.

We (myself, husband and 5 year old) did cash and put down what I had estimated our total cost was going to be (I think around $600). My oldest daughter (25), her bf and her son also did cash and started out with a $300 deposit. She used the Kiosk for obtaining her balance every day and to put additional money on it as needed. No problems. :)