Just returned from Balmoral Cruise

bobstheboy

Bad luck ? I believe he should not have been on the ship and I saw him.

Fortunately for him, it is not for you to decide.

I rather hope that should I be fortunate to live that long I'll be similarly continuing to take holidays that I consider to be enjoyable regardless of how others feel about my presence on-board.

We will be sailing on Black Watch in a few days time and are looking forward to the usual diverse range of people we will meet on-board, a few grumpy ones will doubtless be there but are a tiny minority and have no effect on our enjoyment.

Fortunately for him, it is not for you to decide.

I rather hope that should I be fortunate to live that long I'll be similarly continuing to take holidays that I consider to be enjoyable regardless of how others feel about my presence on-board.

We will be sailing on Black Watch in a few days time and are looking forward to the usual diverse range of people we will meet on-board, a few grumpy ones will doubtless be there but are a tiny minority and have no effect on our enjoyment.

Silly comments.

If you were in the condition of that man I described would you really want to be on a ship on your own ? I will repeat what I saw. A very elderly man on his own, who could hardly put one foot in front of the other and required a walking stick in each hand. He was badly bruised from a fall on the first day on board and attended the medical centre daily, and had another fall requiring help as he was trying to leave the ship. My feelings about his presence on board were for his safety, no other reasons. Safe to be on board ? No way.

Silly comments.

If you were in the condition of that man I described would you really want to be on a ship on your own ?

Ah the irony :)

Yes, there are definitely some silly comments in this thread.

One has to assume that the gentleman in question was there of his own free will, I have no doubt he would have preferred not to be on his own, but that isn't always something that can be avoided.

... and since you ask, yes, if my choices were being at home on my own or being on a cruise with many others then I probably would choose the cruise.

We meet many people like this when cruising, especially among the more elderly who have lost their partners and do not have family near them so cruising can be a good option to get out and in the company of others even when not in perfect health.

The only reason you are attracting the comments you are is that you seem to seek to pass judgement on who is or isn't suitable to be on a cruise ship whereas that really is a matter for the passenger himself, FO and probably his Doctor. Beyond that it really isn't something that anyone else should feel the need to pronounce judgement on.

Ok I give in !

Leave it up to the doctor. I am sure all these infirm elderly people will seek their approval.

Leave it up to Fred Olsen. They will be concerned and wouldn't want their money.

Leave it up to the person. Yes fine let them injure themselves whilst others wash their hands.

I never post when reading these threads but I feel compelled to defend bobstheboy this time around. Some of the conditions other passengers are in is of real concern to me as a nurse. Yes it may be their choice, but some infirm passengers pose a serious risk to themselves and to other passengers as well in terms of safety relating to mobility. Before you say "well how would you know and why do you care?", my husband is disabled and has unintentionally injured someone on a cruise after falling while at sea. Thankfully the other man wasn't badly injured but my husband's self confidence took a real dive when it came to travelling on boats again. He'd never go without me and I really wish that cruise lines would push for people to seriously consider taking on a companion, be it a friend or child or partner, or even a volunteer. Feel free to disagree by all means but I know from a personal and professional standpoint, some people just shouldn't choose to travel alone.

I never post when reading these threads but I feel compelled to defend bobstheboy this time around. Some of the conditions other passengers are in is of real concern to me as a nurse. Yes it may be their choice, but some infirm passengers pose a serious risk to themselves and to other passengers as well in terms of safety relating to mobility. Before you say "well how would you know and why do you care?", my husband is disabled and has unintentionally injured someone on a cruise after falling while at sea. Thankfully the other man wasn't badly injured but my husband's self confidence took a real dive when it came to travelling on boats again. He'd never go without me and I really wish that cruise lines would push for people to seriously consider taking on a companion, be it a friend or child or partner, or even a volunteer. Feel free to disagree by all means but I know from a personal and professional standpoint, some people just shouldn't choose to travel alone.

Someone with common sense and professional know how.