Hobart/Tasmania: Foodie Thrills, Port Arthur Visit?

TLCOhio

We took a local bus to get there, paying about 40% less than the same excursion from the ship. I highly recommend local transportation but make sure you are fit enough to climb the rather steep hill up to Bonorong from the bus stop. Hubby and I had no problem with it but a few in our group were puffing heavily from the exercise.

Bonorong lets you get up close and personal with the wildlife so be careful you don't get nipped.

When we got back to Hobart via a local bus, my husband went to a local eatery to have authentic laksa, a spicy Asian noodle soup he thought was delicious. The serving was huge! Lots of local people there and it was very crowded. I had a small lime soda that tasted just like a limeade you'd get with BBQ in the South - yummy and refreshing.

I can't offer advice on Port Arthur as we did not go there but I can't say enough good things about Bonorong and Hobart.

You'll enjoy whatever you do in Tasmania.

Edited by Bookish Angel

• 2 weeks later...
Bonorong was fantastic! We took a local bus to get there, paying about 40% less than the same excursion from the ship. I highly recommend local transportation but make sure you are fit enough to climb the rather steep hill up to Bonorong from the bus stop. Hubby and I had no problem with it but a few in our group were puffing heavily from the exercise. Bonorong lets you get up close and personal with the wildlife so be careful you don't get nipped. When we got back to Hobart via a local bus, my husband went to a local eatery to have authentic laksa, a spicy Asian noodle soup he thought was delicious. The serving was huge! Lots of local people there and it was very crowded. I had a small lime soda that tasted just like a limeade you'd get with BBQ in the South - yummy and refreshing. I can't offer advice on Port Arthur as we did not go there but I can't say enough good things about Bonorong and Hobart. You'll enjoy whatever you do in Tasmania.

mtn_couple: Federation Chocolate is on the road from Hobart to Port Arthur' date=' you'll drive straight past it. They sell the most amazing "apple chocolate", appropriate since Tassie is also known as the "apple isle". http://www.federationchocolate.com.au [/quote']

ozscotart: Having just come back from our cruise on the lovely Oosterdam to Hobart' date=' I can say that the Americans on the cruise seemed to love Bonorong wildlife park, including the night visit. I myself find Port Arthur interesting, and as one of the previous posters said, creepy, but couldn't say it was of overwhelming interest to all. [/quote']

Aus Traveller: Terry - I think your plan is great. I also feel that Bonorong Wildlife Park is far better than Zoo Doo.

Appreciate these above and other insights' date=' comments, experiences and tips for Hobart, Tasmania, etc. [i']Very helpful.[/i] Keep it coming. Will share on our roll call. It’s exactly 37 days or nearly five weeks till we will be boarding the Solstice in super spectacular Sydney harbor with our neighbors of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Getting closer!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 13,564 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

We just finished a cruise in December 2013 to Hobart & Port Arthur..

In Hobart-

Get on the Red decker Bus . Takes you all around the city. $25 for adults and $15 child. Its a hop on hop off bus. But they have a few, so wait for the new one as its a lot more comfy. Good commentary by the driver. But be aware it stops at 3.30pm.

We had a heap of laundry and were pleased that there is a laundry/café only 5 minutes walk from the port. We ended up taking the entire suitcase and got it washed(20 min) and dried(35min) for around $13 total. On our ship it was around $100. The café didn't look up to our standards so we went elsewhere to have lunch and spent the savings on lunch and a good bottle of red while waiting for the washing. . But there were heaps of food/coffee shops to choose from . Was also good grabbing the basics that the ship didn't have from the local shops, newspaper, magazines, chewing gum ect.. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Port Arthur -

Was annoyed that id left my wallet on the ship as there was a thumping BBQ happening on shore. Smelled fantastic, and it would have been nice having different food than what the ship was providing. A lot of ruins to see. Only issue is departing. The port Arthur staff didn't have the manpower to organise so many people getting to the dock. Dock had to be shared with the local ferry , so it took a while(1 hour line-up) to get onto the ship again. But being us, didn't bother us in the slightest. But be aware, when in the Queue , there is NO shelter if it rains. YOU WILL get wet.

:):):)