Mastectomy swimwear.

sacnaillady

I just had a breast removed last week and I'm going on a New Years cruise. It is becoming very apparent that a reg. swimsuit will not come up high enough and I need to purchase a mastectomy swimsuit. I will be snorkeling, swimming, cave tubing and swimming with the stingrays so I need an active suit. Does anyone have any good sources where I can order such suits? There are so many when I google but who has good quality and price? Thanks.

I often recommend Lands End swimwear - personally, I love the size range and being able to order separates to fit different parts of me. And off season they can have great sale prices. You can search by many options - Mastectomy suits is one option. Have a great trip!

http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-swimsuits/-/N-fxmZgmd

If you check with the local shop in town that deals with prosthetics they can often sew a pocket in to your current suits. If they're not high enough to hide scars you can look for mast suits or regular suits and have them modified. Mastectomy suits are usually expensive. I tend to look for high necks myself.

What is frustrating as far as the cruise is concerned is I have to rethink my entire wardrobe. Most of my summer clothes have plunging neck lines and my sundress are very bare. It's November and I can't just run to the store and buy a new higher neck summer wardrobe. I'm lucky to be alive and appreciate that and I will have reconstruction in the spring but in the mean time, what am I going to wear! I guess this will help me to pack lighter. Thank you for any help.

I would like to second what the above poster said! I wish you the best of luck <3. I was wondering if you could wear camisoles under your dresses?

Camisole! That's a good idea! I will see what works. That might work for some of my summer tops too. Thank you for the idea.

I have had bilateral mastectomies with two failed reconstructions and finding a bathing suit top has been my biggest problem because of the scars underneath (where the bottom of the breasts used to be). Believe me, I tried stores that specialized in mastectomy items, high end suits, low end and everything in between. I never go to Target but one day DH and I were in there for something our granddaughter wanted and they had racks and racks of swim suits and separates. So, I looked through them and found a top (and bottom) that went together and tried it on and low and behold, it fit great, covered ALL my scars and with the bottom (not bikini per say but definitely 2 piece with a whole lot of skin in between), actually looked good! (By good, I mean if it makes me look thinner than I am, I am a happy camper!) So I bought it - wasn't sure if it would hold up (it was something like $30 for the two pieces) or not, but we live in S FL and have a pool and also go to the beach a few times a week...and it is now on year two and looks just like new! I would never have gone into Target looking for a bathing suit but low and behold, it is where I found one! I only have a very small, light scar (from a biopsy) that shows on top so it is a non issue for me, but wearing a tank top or camisole sounds like a great solution! Best of luck!

Hi sacnaillady,

I have also had double mastectomies, and due to radiation damage on one side, scar is quite high. Don't feel comfortable in anything low cut. Finding bathing suits has always been a problem until I found this web site:

southbeachswimsuits dot com

At the top under swimsuits, you will see mastectomy. Click on that, and they offer a nice selection. I especially like the Anita suits.

Good luck to you, and keep cruising.

Barbara

Sacnailady,

I just want to give you my best wishes in your recovery. I had bilateral mastectomies 7 years ago and went flat for two years until I had reconstruction.

When you do find your mastectomy swimsuits, if you don't want to use or have swim prostheses, try inserting a bath puff inside the pocket (use as many as necessary to match the size of the remaining breast). The bath puffs are light weight and will dry fast.

Sacnailady,

I just want to give you my best wishes in your recovery. I had bilateral mastectomies 7 years ago and went flat for two years until I had reconstruction.

When you do find your mastectomy swimsuits, if you don't want to use or have swim prostheses, try inserting a bath puff inside the pocket (use as many as necessary to match the size of the remaining breast). The bath puffs are light weight and will dry fast.

What a good idea! Bath puffs! I will defiantly try that. I've looking around the Internet for suits. I have found several south beach looks good, also Jodee's. thanks for the great info.

I had a 6 month period of time between my two mastectomies. Before I bought my first prosthesis, I use bath puffs to even me up. There was a problem with the puff side of the bra riding up because it was lighter. I weighed it down with three D cells batteries (DDD was appropriate considering my breast size) tuck in between the puffs.

In a mastectomy swimsuit, the cut is higher under the arms and the neckline and the bra seems to be snugger than in a regular swimsuit so riding up wasn't an issue.

A bath puff may give a bumpy appearance to the fabric depending on the thickness of the bra foaming. Anything thicker than a layer or double layer of a lycra bra will hide the bumps.

FYI, if you have not yet found the internet site of breastcancer.org (www. goes in front of the name), check it out. It has great information and the discussion board has lots of forums and threads to exchange information or just compare notes with others going through the same experience.

Can I first of all say that my wife has asked me to write this and ask for your thoughts. We often read the forums together and when I saw this thread I said , "hey Deb look at this". It is clear from this thread that you have a great attitude to what must be a concern to many other women, my wife included.

My wife has a slightly different problem. She has recently lost a lot of weight (145lbs). Because of this her breasts have completely deflated, now very flat and pointing south. She gets so frustrated and upset when she has bought a dress and tried it on, when there is no cleavage and the bulge of her boobs is not where it should be. She tries all different sizes of bra to try and get it right. Feels more comfortable with a sports bra.

Concern is growing that she will look out of place on the cruise next June, with her boobs not looking right. She is dreading the formal night. She has bought a lovely evening dress that I think looks stunning on her, but she is not sure. When she gets stared at she goes back into her shell. I know you will say everyone is different, but it has taken a lot to bring her out of her shell since her weight loss.

Now please do not misunderstand me, we have been married nearly 30 years and I like my wife any way she looks and do not want to tell her what to do with her body, her body, her choice. I have mentioned to her briefly that a boob job may be the answer.

So, her dilemma. Can you suggest any dresses or outfits that may help her. I am sure she is not the only one who might have concerns like this, so your thoughts would be welcome.

Adrian and Debbie

Can I first of all say that my wife has asked me to write this and ask for your thoughts. We often read the forums together and when I saw this thread I said , "hey Deb look at this". It is clear from this thread that you have a great attitude to what must be a concern to many other women, my wife included.

My wife has a slightly different problem. She has recently lost a lot of weight (145lbs). Because of this her breasts have completely deflated, now very flat and pointing south. She gets so frustrated and upset when she has bought a dress and tried it on, when there is no cleavage and the bulge of her boobs is not where it should be. She tries all different sizes of bra to try and get it right. Feels more comfortable with a sports bra.

Concern is growing that she will look out of place on the cruise next June, with her boobs not looking right. She is dreading the formal night. She has bought a lovely evening dress that I think looks stunning on her, but she is not sure. When she gets stared at she goes back into her shell. I know you will say everyone is different, but it has taken a lot to bring her out of her shell since her weight loss.

Now please do not misunderstand me, we have been married nearly 30 years and I like my wife any way she looks and do not want to tell her what to do with her body, her body, her choice. I have mentioned to her briefly that a boob job may be the answer.

So, her dilemma. Can you suggest any dresses or outfits that may help her. I am sure she is not the only one who might have concerns like this, so your thoughts would be welcome.

Adrian and Debbie

Hi Adrian and Debbie!

If it was me and I could afford the surgery and the 2/3 weeks off I would get the boob job. Even though I have had problems with the implant on my Breast Cancer side hence the need for a prosthesis now and reconstruction in the spring, I still recommend breast enhancement. Especially if it will make you have more confidence and feel better about yourself. Nothing wrong with it.

The only only other things to do would be a good wonder bra, sew cups into your dress or add some silicone enhances into your bra.

Congrats on the weight loss! That is quite an accomplishment you should be very proud of!

If she is so unhappy with her appearance, I think that she should schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon. A new dress or your telling her that she looks fine is not going to permanently improve her self esteem. A 145 pound weight loss is a huge accomplishment, and I think that she deserves to feel great about herself!

Congratulations to your wife on her incredible weight loss! I too know what it's like to have breasts go flat... after I had my daughter my breasts didn't return to their normal size and they went flat. Because I was very large I was able to get a breast reduction. It was the best thing I did! Maybe surgery is the best option but if it's not can I recommend a professional bra fitting? I used to fit ladies for bras, and it can make all the difference. The bras themselves can be expensive but when it can give you the confidence you need, I say go for it!

I agree with the ruffles suggestion above.

I am large busted and I avoid ruffles at the chest like the plague.

I would also suggest she look at halter tops, I feel that those offer more support and might hold the breast tissue up where it is supposed to be.

AND she should go get a professional bra fitting, so many women wear the wrong size bra and especially after a significant weight loss she might be.

And she could try putting "chicken cutlet" silicone inserts into her bras to augment or a wonderbra type bra.

I also want to say good for her for losing the weight and I hope you two have an amazing cruise.

And as for the original poster on this thread, you have an amazing attitude and good luck finding swimsuits that work for you and I hope you too have an amazing cruise!

Another suggestion for the lady with the deflated breasts from weight loss.

Besides having a well fitted bra, check out a local mastectomy boutique that sells prostheses. Besides the prostheses to replace a missing breast. there are also partial forms to help women with breasts that are missing tissue due to lumpectomies. The forms help fill out the breast shape and would give more shape and definition to the flatten tissue.

I should also add that in the period of time between my mastectomies and deciding to have reconstruction, I took several cruises. While I had my prostheses with me and sometimes wore them in the evening with dresses, I often when totally flat chested during the day. No one batted at eye at my lack of a chest.

I should also add that in the period of time between my mastectomies and deciding to have reconstruction, I took several cruises. While I had my prostheses with me and sometimes wore them in the evening with dresses, I often when totally flat chested during the day. No one batted at eye at my lack of a chest.

Wow! That's great. I wish I could just go flat. But one boob is a 38D the other is a -A! I look lopsided to say the least! Lol.

Sacnaillady,

I feel your pain. My mastectomies were 7 months apart. One side was a 42 DDDD, the other side completely flat.

The worst part was that I couldn't get a prosthesis large enough to match the remaining side. A custom silicone one would have weighed a ton and no one made foam ones as large as I needed.

I was just at Walmart this afternoon and saw these clip on camis. That might work with your sundresses without adding bulk and making you feel hot. It was a 3 pack and came in black, white and a beige. From what I understand it clips to your bra straps! I hope this helps?

Susie

I was just at Walmart this afternoon and saw these clip on camis. That might work with your sundresses without adding bulk and making you feel hot. It was a 3 pack and came in black, white and a beige. From what I understand it clips to your bra straps! I hope this helps?

Susie

Susie! What dept. did you see the clip ons? They sound like a great solution! Thanks!