Casual Summit Review

mompolo

It sounded like the OP wasn't thrilled with the itinerary so I was hoping for more information why.

But, since you offered :D I'm still not sure what we are going to to do in Grenada. We're planning excursion for St. Croix, Dominica and St. Kitts so a relaxing day will be in order. I've thought about going to either Grand Anse or Magazine beach. Any thoughts about those or any other suggestions?

Funny you should pick Grenada! Every time we have been there, it has rained..I mean RAINED! I was there for a week once and it rained 5 out of 7 days....the other two days I went diving. I have tried to go to both Magazine Beach and Grand Anse many times...Both were very nice ..until it RAINED! Did I mention that it RAINS every time I go to Grenada?

What tour operator are you using in St Kitts? Dominica?

In St Croix, visit the Fort that is right in front of the pier. $3 entry fee. But the fort is kinda cool! Then take a cab to Sand Castle Beach, the best beach on that side of the island. Don't let a cab driver try to take you to Christiansted with promises of better beaches. They just want the higher fare.

Funny you should pick Grenada! Every time we have been there, it has rained..I mean RAINED! I was there for a week once and it rained 5 out of 7 days....the other two days I went diving. I have tried to go to both Magazine Beach and Grand Anse many times...Both were very nice ..until it RAINED! Did I mention that it RAINS every time I go to Grenada?

You're not going to be there on Dec. 9th, are you? Maybe it won't rain :D

What tour operator are you using in St Kitts? Dominica?

St. Kitts is Blue Water Safaris Catamaran tour and Dominica is a tour with Levi Barron.

In St Croix, visit the Fort that is right in front of the pier. $3 entry fee. But the fort is kinda cool! Then take a cab to Sand Castle Beach, the best beach on that side of the island. Don't let a cab driver try to take you to Christiansted with promises of better beaches. They just want the higher fare.

Thanks! I've seen pictures of the fort. Friends who were on STX recently also recommended Sand Castle. Right now we're planning a 1/2 day tour with Tan Tan (if they ever answer their phone live so I can give him my CC info to confirm) and then probably some beach time.

As far as the temperature on the ship goes - it was warm everywhere on the ship. The only place that wasn't warm (after it cooled down), was our stateroom. I'm usually cold and don't like to be chilly all the time but I was never cool on this cruise.

The only photos we saw all cost $29.95 per sheet - a couple of them had one large picture and 4 wallet sized ones - but all the same price.

It rained when we were in Grenada - lol

We aren't beach people, so we didn't go to any. We did a taxi tour in Dominica with another couple - it was very nice and we enjoyed it a lot.

We usually like to wander around the port area, these islands (besides St. Thomas and St. Kitts) didn't have much to see. This was the only cruise that we have gotten back on board the ship in time to have lunch.

I don't know how embarkation usually goes in San Juan, but I don't ever remember having to wait so long before. In the parking lot area we were in the blazing sun and finally we made it to the shade. It was still very hot - around 90 degrees. Even when we made it inside, there was no air conditioning in there either. So imagine my surprise when we finally make it to the ship and it's not cool there either!!

It sounded like the OP wasn't thrilled with the itinerary so I was hoping for more information why.

But, since you offered :D I'm still not sure what we are going to to do in Grenada. We're planning excursion for St. Croix, Dominica and St. Kitts so a relaxing day will be in order. I've thought about going to either Grand Anse or Magazine beach. Any thoughts about those or any other suggestions?

Grand Anse is fantastic. The vendors will bug you when you first get there for chairs/umbrellas, but after that it is very nice. Loved the market there, lots of spices and such. Took the water taxi back to the ship. Would go there again in a heartbeat.

You're not going to be there on Dec. 9th, are you? Maybe it won't rain :D

St. Kitts is Blue Water Safaris Catamaran tour and Dominica is a tour with Levi Barron.

Thanks! I've seen pictures of the fort. Friends who were on STX recently also recommended Sand Castle. Right now we're planning a 1/2 day tour with Tan Tan (if they ever answer their phone live so I can give him my CC info to confirm) and then probably some beach time.

We love Sandcastle, have been there a few times now and will go back again. Clean beach, friendly staff, clean bathrooms, nice little pool, bar/restaurant there if you want anything.

Grand Anse is fantastic. The vendors will bug you when you first get there for chairs/umbrellas, but after that it is very nice. Loved the market there, lots of spices and such. Took the water taxi back to the ship. Would go there again in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

We were on the same cruise and your are right. The embarkation was terrible. The baggage system in San Juan leaves a lot to be desired. There was no one to direct you where to go after disembarking from our cab. Had to ask. Then the baggage check-in required everyone to get in line and shuffle your bags until you got to the baggage handlers. Never had that type of baggage checkin anywhere. Upon boarding the ship, the temperature throughout the ship was really warm. Our cabin was hot. Eventually, after the ship sailed, it started to cool down. However, throughout the cruise certain areas of the ship were still very warm. During the cruise we noticed that the crew was working on refinishing the handrails and scrubbing rust off the rails. Overall it was one of our better cruises except for the aforementioned complaints. By the way, LOVED Blu.

We were on the same cruise and your are right. The embarkation was terrible. The baggage system in San Juan leaves a lot to be desired. There was no one to direct you where to go after disembarking from our cab. Had to ask. Then the baggage check-in required everyone to get in line and shuffle your bags until you got to the baggage handlers. Never had that type of baggage checkin anywhere. Upon boarding the ship, the temperature throughout the ship was really warm. Our cabin was hot. Eventually, after the ship sailed, it started to cool down. However, throughout the cruise certain areas of the ship were still very warm. During the cruise we noticed that the crew was working on refinishing the handrails and scrubbing rust off the rails. Overall it was one of our better cruises except for the aforementioned complaints. By the way, LOVED Blu.

This was our first time dining in Blu and we LOVED it too! Our embarkation was the best. We arrived at the port around 10am and dropped our bags off with the porter. We knew it was too early to board so went into Old San Juan and ate lunch and walked around a bit. We came back around 1 and saw the very long line of people in the hot sun checking their luggage, but since we had already dropped off our bags we were directed to the entrance where you show your passport to enter. We were literally on the ship within 10-15 min. of arrival. We stood on the ship and looked out at the long line of people waiting and were so glad we had stopped by earlier or we would have been out there standing. The ship was warm. I'm normally carrying around a sweater in the evenings, but not this time. I know one night our cabin was so warm we both had trouble sleeping. This was our 3rd time in a row on the Summit and we are ready to try out the new Reflection next Nov. We had a good cruise and loved the ports, but the ship felt a little old to us, although I would go on her again.