Malaga Mini review

DragonOfTheSeas

Malaga

We recently sailed aboard the Legend of the Seas on a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. I learned a lot from reading Cruise Critic before we left. However, it was hard to locate specific information about the various port cities. [Alicante, Malaga, Madeira, and Tenerife] So I am doing a mini review with pictures for each port.

If you are interested in the review of the entire TA crsie this is the link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40658244#post40658244

Malaga, a city of over half a million people was our second port. We arrived on All Saints’ Day [November 1st]. It is a very important religious holiday and schools and businesses were closed. [tourists sites/shops stayed open] On this day Spaniards buy flowers and visit cemeteries to honor their relatives and visit with family. We had wanted to visit the Alhambra [a Moorish palace], but felt the two-hour trip each way was too much to chance with holiday traffic. So, we stayed in Malaga. It turned out to be a very pleasant visit.

Malaga, a city of over half a million people was our second port. We arrived on All Saints’ Day [November 1st]. It is a very important religious holiday and schools and businesses were closed. [tourists sites/shops stayed open] On this day Spaniards buy flowers and visit cemeteries to honor their relatives and visit with family. We had wanted to visit the Alhambra [a Moorish palace], but felt the two-hour trip each way was too much to chance with holiday traffic. So, we stayed in Malaga. It turned out to be a very pleasant visit.

PA310001_zpsf4cc9c7b.jpg

The city was founded by the Phoenicians and later occupied by the Romans. Next came the Moors for 600 years. It was re-conquered by the Catholic Monarchs in 1487. We were able to visit sites tied to each of these groups.

We took the Royal Caribbean shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. It was $6/person for all day. The city had a shuttle bus that was 2€/person per trip.

There is a Hop On Hop Off bus that operates in Malaga. It had 16 stops and our dinner tablemates took this bus and felt it was a good experience. I heard it was around 16 €/person. We decided we only wanted to visit 2 of the 16 stops—so we would just walk. [How hard can it be, right?]

Our first stop was the cathedral in Malaga, known as “La Manquita” [one-armed woman] because only one of it 2 towers was completed. It sits on the site of a former Mosque . We found this to be the pattern in each city. When the Catholics retook the city they built their churches/cathedrals on the sites of the former Mosques to remove the evidence of the Moorish occupation.

PB010007_zps5d62ab57.jpg

This is the unfinished tower.

PB010009_zps14dc0f3b.jpg

All of the cathedrals we saw had beautiful carved doors.

PB010010_zps8a844f6a.jpg

The square outside of the cathedral:

PB010008_zps68eda090.jpg

Some interior views of the cathedral [not great quality--but, you get the idea]:

PB010011_zpsb5b5df4c.jpg

PB010012_zps2b71f924.jpg

PB010013_zpsba2a09b5.jpg

We were limited to the areas we could view. There were catholic masses going on—since it was All Saints’ Day.

The street near the church:

PB010017_zps6547ed3c.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

A short distance from the cathedral was the Roman theatre that dates to the 2nd century. They are currently excavating the site. We were able to walk around the theater and sit on the stone tiers. [admission is free] It is the oldest historical site I have ever visited. As a former history teacher, I was thrilled.

PB010021_zps9c98c2ce.jpg

PB010025_zps37587941.jpg

PB010024_zpsf40bd795.jpg

PB010023_zps33098f66.jpg

It is still a work in progress:

PB010022_zps29c4ac7f.jpg

Next we visited the Moorish fortress, Alcazaba.

This is a sign that shows what it used to look like. Most of the structure is still here.

PB010054_zps763305c2.jpg

We bought a combination ticket for the Alcazaba and Castle Gilbrafaro for 7.2 € for the 2 of us. While it is not as large or palatial as Alhambra, I was impressed by its condition. It had three patios, several water features and spectacular views. It had a very peaceful, serene feel to it.

PB010041_zps638e3b8d.jpg

PB010037_zpsdacf7f79.jpg

PB010035_zps3f3c7190.jpg

PB010034_zps4045ceec.jpg

Finally we visited the Castle Gilbrafaro on the hill. It was quite a climb.

I found this reference on the Internet. “The name of this castle comes from the Arab word Yabal (Hill) and another derived from the Greek Faruh (Lighthouse), which suggests the possible use of the hill during the Phoenician-Punic period as a coast lookout point.” So, we hit all four civilizations of the city.

Although the Alcazaba and the Castle Gilbrafaro are side-by-side they do not connect. [they seriously need an elevator] We climbed the path that ran beside the Alcazaba to the top of the hill it took us about 30 mins. It was more challenging than we thought it would be. My DH struck the “Rocky” pose at the top. These models show the relative position of the 4 sites we visited.

PB010075_zpsce2b6197.jpg

PB010073_zps860c376c.jpg

It was worth the climb. The views were even better than from the Alcazaba. The Castle itself was very plain, with mostly turrets and locations for gun placements.

PB010077_zps5619b141.jpg

PB010078_zpse945b237.jpg

PB010080_zpsdfb6639d.jpg

PB010082_zps735b9fab.jpg

Views from the top,

PB010071_zps78302cd9.jpg

PB010081_zps940433d2.jpg

The walk down was MUCH easier. One thing we noticed along the road as we walked in both directions was the trash—liquor bottles, cups and other trash. So many drinks had been spilled that the sidewalk was sticky in several places. This was unusual. Every other place we visited was very clean. We wondered if there had been a big Halloween celebration along this road the night before.

We returned to the ship for a late lunch. [not everything was open and there were crowds in what was open] Afterwards I returned to the city for some shopping. I kept thinking about how full my suitcase was—so, I passed up several things and I am sorry I did. So, take my advice and buy it if you like it—you will be glad you did. :D

The real bargain of the day was the internet access at the pier. [2 €/hour] I did not see this when I went by earlier. However, when I was ready to board the ship around 4:30 pm the terminal was full of passengers on laptops and phones. I tried to purchase time, but was told they already had too many on the WIFI network. [the connection was getting too slow] I was bummed to miss this opportunity. There were also a few souvenir shops in the terminal.

Malaga is a great city to visit I hope you have as much fun as we did [even with the walk].

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for doing this mini review. I plan on visiting these same sites whilst in Malaga soon and I was wondering how easy you found it to navigate around by yourselves? I don't mind the walking, I'm just concerned that I will get lost and not know where to go!

Thank you for doing this mini review. I plan on visiting these same sites whilst in Malaga soon and I was wondering how easy you found it to navigate around by yourselves? I don't mind the walking, I'm just concerned that I will get lost and not know where to go!

You will not get lost. To get to the cathedral you walk across the street from the port bus drop off. You go one more block and you are in the cathedral square.

Then to go to the Alcazaba is only 1.5 blocks from there. The Roman theater is immediately beside the entrance. The road up to the Castle is right beside it.

It is easy to do. The only part of the walk that is a strain is the uphill climb. But, I would do it again. Have fun!!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Dragon.

Thank you for this mini-review.

Your certainly correct finding info for Malaga is quite hard.

I think DW and myself will follow your itinerary next March.

I am glad you found it useful. We really enjoyed our visit to Malaga.

There is a beach that is accessed from the port. It is a short walk. There are many stores and restaurants adjacent to the beach. But, since it was an important holiday while we were there the shops/restaurants were VERY busy. On a less busy day we likely would have spent some time here, too.

Have a good trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nice, thorough review.

Looking at a cruise which spends 2 days & 2 nights in Malaga.

Is there that much to do that you can spend 2 full nights there?

We were there for only a port stop--so, I can not speak to nightlife. However, There were so many things we did not get to do that I could have filled up those days. For example, there was a nice beach that I walked to, but I did not get to relax in the sand.

The port area has a series of restaurants and stores that were very crowded the day we were there [All Saint's Day--a holiday with schools and businesses closed] These stores seemed very nice from what I could see--not the typical souvenir shops. [they had those in the terminal near the ship]

There is the Picasso museum.

We saw the bull fighting ring from the Castle and would have liked to visit the museum there. [We heard they still have bull fighting in the summer]

. . .and of course I was bummed we were not able to see Alhambra in Grenada. [about a 2 hr trip each way] This is # 1 on my list if/when I return to Malaga. We felt we did not have long enough in port to do this tour on our own. [We felt it was telling that the ship was not offering this tour.] We had been cautioned about crowded roads during the holiday.

There was more than what I have listed, so you see you will not have enough time to see it all.

Have a great trip.

<<Looking at a cruise which spends 2 days & 2 nights in Malaga.

Is there that much to do that you can spend 2 full nights there?>>

Malaga is a wonderful place to spend a few days - and it especially comes alive at nighttime!

It has some of the best Tapas bars and restaurants you will find in Spain so join the locals in a Tapas crawl from bar to bar. Each has its own character and specialities. Let me know if you would like some suggestions of where to try.

During the day there are numerous museums to visit (Picasso, Thysen, Automobile, Glass and Crystal to mention but a few), great shopping, beaches within a few minutes walk of the old city centre, a fabulous indoor market and so much more. The new ´Muelle Uno´ (Pier One) development at the Port has a good range of shops and restaurants; the port entrance is only a 5 minute walk to the old town area.

I am sure that you would have a great time in Malaga - and you would meet some genuinely warm people who love to welcome visitors to their city.

It has some of the best Tapas bars and restaurants you will find in Spain so join the locals in a Tapas crawl from bar to bar. Each has its own character and specialities. Let me know if you would like some suggestions of where to try.

I'd like a couple of suggestions for lunch please.

I'd like a couple of suggestions for lunch please.

Have a look at 'El Jardin' - a lovely, Art Deco Restaurant at the rear of the Cathedral.

For a more relaxed lunch - and a great place to sit on the outside terrace and ' people watch' - have a look at ' Bar Central' right in the Plaza de la Constitucion (main square at the top of Avenida Larios.

Cheaper still - but with great local food - is ' Café Axarquia' on the Alameda Principal (busy main street that cuts right through the city. Their ' Frito Malaguena' (local speciality of assorted small fried fish) is the best we have had anywhere.

By the way, there is a Tapas bar right in the old port building (near the main gates) that is mainly for port workers but is open to anyone. If you walk right through the bar there is a large restaurant at the rear that offers a brilliant 3 course Menu del Dia/Meal of the Day for under 10 Euros.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Have a look at 'El Jardin' - a lovely, Art Deco Restaurant at the rear of the Cathedral.

For a more relaxed lunch - and a great place to sit on the outside terrace and ' people watch' - have a look at ' Bar Central' right in the Plaza de la Constitucion (main square at the top of Avenida Larios.

Cheaper still - but with great local food - is ' Café Axarquia' on the Alameda Principal (busy main street that cuts right through the city. Their ' Frito Malaguena' (local speciality of assorted small fried fish) is the best we have had anywhere.

By the way, there is a Tapas bar right in the old port building (near the main gates) that is mainly for port workers but is open to anyone. If you walk right through the bar there is a large restaurant at the rear that offers a brilliant 3 course Menu del Dia/Meal of the Day for under 10 Euros.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tapa suggestions, Campolady!

Our ship won't leave until 11PM. We will be on a full day to Granada but back at the ship for dinner. Do you have any suggestions of where would be a good place for an evening stroll close to port? Or any bad area we should stay out of? Thank again!

Thanks for the tapa suggestions, Campolady!

Our ship won't leave until 11PM. We will be on a full day to Granada but back at the ship for dinner. Do you have any suggestions of where would be a good place for an evening stroll close to port? Or any bad area we should stay out of? Thank again!

There is an area with restaurants and shops that is in the port area. We were there on a holiday and it was VERY busy. It is within walking distance of the ship and you would not need to worry about taking the bus to the port entrance.