St Thomas or St Maarten

loodle_20

It sort of depends on what you want to do. Generally, we prefer St. Maarten, but with kids, Coral World at St. Thomas is great and is right next to Coki Beach which is a nice family friendly beach.

Honestly, I'd look at things like dates and costs. The islands are very similar in terms of shopping, both have nice beaches, lovely scenery, etc. If you dock at St. Thomas, you are at Havensight--a $5 taxi ride to downtown. If you tender, you go in downtown. MOST of the time, the DCL ships dock.

I see the 2015 Eastern Caribbean itinerary has 2 choices where you choose which cruise, one that stops at St Thomas or one that stops at St Marteen. For those that have been to both which would you choose?

I believe the nomenclature of those itineraries is a bit misleading. They both stop at St. Thomas but one stops at St. Martin while the other stops at San Juan. I'd take the San Juan cruise.

Edited by jalves

last year, we were on the first Disney cruise to stop in San Juan. I would never ever go there again. The excursion was so bad, I immediately wrote a letter to the tour desk staff that same day. They refunded me and everyone in my party 50% of the excursion price. (the tour guide was very informative, but the tour itself was not well planned, hours on a bus looking at the same thing over and over, only one stop etc.)

The shopping is far superior in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Both are prettier, safer, more of it. Of the two, St. Maarten has better shopping in town, take the water taxi. St. Thomas does have a large shopping are at the port if you just want a quick on and off for gifts. But the stores are the same in both places with better pricing on jewelry and liquors in St. Maarten.

If you have never been to either, choose St. Maarten/St. Thomas first. If you have a burning desire for San Juan, do it another time.

Both are great, depends on what you want to do. There's sand and shops on both and great places to eat. St Maarten is the easiest to walk in to if you aren't in town in St Thomas. There seems to be a more easy way to life in St Maarten.

Edited by Paddigton Bear

last year, we were on the first Disney cruise to stop in San Juan.

Sorry to correct you, but whoever told you that you were on the first Disney cruise to San Juan was very incorrect.

I was on the first Disney cruise to San Juan at it was back in '04.

http://www.disney.co.uk/usa-resorts/waltdisneyworld/IV/D/4/

Special 7-Night Caribbean Cruise

Sailing to San Juan, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay on 8/07/04, 8/21/04 and 09/04/04

Saturday: Travel to Port Canaveral to depart at 5 p.m.

Sunday: Enjoy relaxation and fun at sea

Monday: Enjoy relaxation and fun at sea

Tuesday: Arrive in St. Thomas at 7 a.m., depart at 5:30 p.m.

Wednesday: Arrive in San Juan at 7 a.m., depart at 5:30 p.m.

Thursday: Enjoy relaxation and fun at sea

Friday: Arrive at Castaway Cay at 9 a.m., depart at 5 p.m.

Saturday: Arrive at Port Canaveral at 6 a.m., debark the ship at 7:35 a.m

But you are correct in that it isn't a port I would have on my bucket list to visit again. Antigua however, absolutely!

ex techie

If you are choosing between St. Thomas and St. Martin, I would go with St. Martin every time.

As a US territory St. Thomas is very 'Americanized'. McDonalds, Home Depot and all that everywhere.

St. Martin is 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 French. Much more relaxed and laid back. Much more of an 'island experience'. I'd go back to St. Martin in a heartbeat! St. Thomas, not so much.

Our driver in St. Thomas was armed and would not let us leave our bags in his van because of theft risk. Our driver in St. Martin didn't even bother to lock his car and left the keys in it! Very different atmosphere.

Spent five days in San Juan last year and visited St Martin and St Thomas twice in the past two years.

With that said, I love all of them with St Martin being my favorite. Maho beach watching the planes arrive, Orient Beach and a big stuffed grouper sandwich at Andy and Cheryl's, pastries at Sarafina's in Marigot....I can go on and on.

Choose the itinerary that stops in St Martin and book a tour with Bernard's Tours like we did our first and second time there. You'll have a wonderful time.

We were robbed in St. Martin, on the French side. Took everything from our rental car. It isn't that safe!

They robbed you in your car!

That must have been really really scary! :eek:

Or did they break into your car and steal your stuff knowing it was a rental?

ex techie

Random question: Is a passport technically required for a Port Canaveral --> St. Thomas --> San Juan --> Castaway Cay cruise? I mean, you're never setting foot anywhere but US or private land...

(this is not to question the wisdom of taking one, just the necessity)

Random question: Is a passport technically required for a Port Canaveral --> St. Thomas --> San Juan --> Castaway Cay cruise? I mean, you're never setting foot anywhere but US or private land...

(this is not to question the wisdom of taking one, just the necessity)

Castaway Cay is a foreign port, in The Bahamas.

We've been to San Juan, St Thomas and St Marten. Personally Old San Juan is a great city with free trolleys that bring you to a National Historical Fort(s) They are amazing to walk through. City streets in Old San Juan are flooded with tourists throughout the day and we have never felt unsafe.

St Thomas is beautiful. Last time we went to St John via Redhook AMAZING! and very simple to do on your own.

St Marten...my least favorite. Way to crowded and built up. Maho is a great place to go w/ a little bar/pub to watch the planes come in and of course you have to see Orient!

Question ... if port of call is St Maarten is there enough time to take a ferry and spend the day in St Barth's instead?

Yes. We took a jet boat over to SB. I think it takes about 30 minutes each way. We took a van tour of the island, walked around in the shops at the pier, and had lunch. The yachts that were in port were huge! We asked some of the crews of the ships and found a couple famous people were visiting. ;) The views are awesome. You should go. Well worth it.

Castaway Cay is a foreign port, in The Bahamas.

Very true ilove.

I was told by the state department and DCL that I could cruise with my BC, but if anything happened while I was in a foreign port you can't leave by air. I just feel much more secure traveling WITH my passport. :)

My mom stays in St. Martin for 2-3 weeks at a time several times a year. Usually rents a nice apartment. This last time her 2nd floor apartment was robbed while they slept! She reported it to the French police and they said robberies had picked up recently. So just be alert and aware. Having said that I visited St. Maarten and St Thomas on DCL years ago and I enjoyed both! I would definitely go to St. Maarten again in a heartbeat. I would visit St Thomas again if it happened to be a good deal or on an itinerary that included another poet I really wanted to visit. Both felt safe but St Maarten seemed easier to navigate from a cruise ship. But a stop in St Thomas usually would offer a trip to St John. We booked that excursion through DCL but missed it because our clock I the room was set to the wrong time! DCL graciously refunded our money and we just toured around St Thomas!