Help me help my friends

Mcshells

Our friends, a couple in their 40's/50's are looking to go on their very first cruise. Both men like to dress up for dinner, like to meet new people, they like wine, good food, and a good customer service experience. While they don't need to be on a gay cruise, they likely would appreciate a cruise line that is non-discriminatory.

They are looking for Caribbean options out of Florida or San Juan. Jan. 2014.

Any opinions on what their best bet may be. Here's our shortlist:

Holland America - Dancing With The Stars MS Niew Amersterdam - Eastern Caribbean

Holland America - MS Westerdam

Princess - Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity Summit

Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

Carnival Valor

Our friends, a couple in their 40's/50's are looking to go on their very first cruise. Both men like to dress up for dinner, like to meet new people, they like wine, good food, and a good customer service experience. While they don't need to be on a gay cruise, they likely would appreciate a cruise line that is non-discriminatory.

Holland America - Dancing With The Stars MS Niew Amersterdam - Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity Summit

Carnival Valor

Take a look at Aquafest, we love the groups they put together:cool:

I wasn't aware that any cruise lines discriminated any passengers.

I do hope your friends have a lovely cruise, whoever they choose to go with.

Kind regards,

Tony

That's great to know Tony! I probably shouldn't have included that in my description; however, upon reading this board and reading a few reviews on other boards, it does sound like, unfortunately, some ships, crews etc. provide better experiences than others. That being said - - you are right.

I've only ever researched Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL for our family so while I am trying to help - - the other lines are a mystery to me in what they offer and what may be the best fit.

I'm reading Holland America may average age 50 or 60. Princess even higher. Then I've read the opposite. Was hoping for some constructive comments on the lines I've shortlisted.

It's overwhelming to book a first cruise so I am just trying to help them. They've vacationed at All-Inclusives in the past and are looking into cruises and the opportunities seem endless.

It's overwhelming to book a first cruise so I am just trying to help them. They've vacationed at All-Inclusives in the past and are looking into cruises and the opportunities seem endless.

They're lucky to have your help! I've been trying to narrow down the options for about a week, and so far not making much headway. Having never taken a vacation before, let alone a cruise, and planning to do this solo, I too am looking for advice.

Sounds to me like they would be perfect candidates for HAL. That is our preferred line and we have the same preferences though we are a bit younger.

And IMO - just because someone posts about A bad experience on X cruise line should not indicate to you that cruise lines 'friendliness' towards gay people. ALL cruise lines are friendly to gay people - SOME individuals on those cruise lines may not be.

Celebrity Summit

Carnival Valor

We have done 13 cruises on Celebrity in the last 6 years including 2 Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. We were just on Summit for a 14 night Canada/New England cruise in Aqua class for the 3rd time. That is now our preferred stateroom choice - we love the Blu Restaurant. This was also our Honeymoon Cruise and though we have been a couple for 37 years we were treated like Royalty - even had a night at the Captain's Table!

Partner and I (late 40's, early 50's) have traveled several times on all the lines you mention (except Carnival), plus Cunard, Oceania and Silversea. Of the ones you've short listed, I'd give the nod to Celebrity. I just find their ships to be more tastefully decorated, in better condition, and with a nice selection of alternative restaurants.

From what I remember (from YEARS ago) HAL is a bit older of a line than your friends. Celebrity was fantastic last time I was on it, Princess was nice as well, but a slight bit below Celebrity. I'd also recommend against Carnival, based on your description of your friends. Best of luck!

Celebrity Summit

Carnival Valor

We sailed for the first time on Princess 2 years ago and it was ok, I think the ship with over 3000 passengers was just too large for us. After that we sailed HAL and found the customer service to be fantastic and very personal. Not exactly a "designer" ship but we liked the "old and classy" feel. Food was great but we mainly ate in the speciality restaurant. People we met were friendly but we tend to do our own thing a lot of the time so I can't comment on that too much.

Discrimination will always be a problem with many things but that's ignorance and tunnel visioned society for you. ;)

No matter which ship you go with, I wish your friends a great first experience, just like we had and hope they get "hooked" too. :D

Andrea :)

Definitely the Dancing with the Stars Holland America cruise. Holland America is one of my favorite lines--great service, good food, bathtubs in the bathrooms instead of just showers!--and they had hosted GLBT/Friends of Dorothy meetings. Although the line has a reputation for older passengers--I think that is mainly on longer cruises in more exotic locales than the Caribbean; your friends would fit right in with the demographic, which will include older and younger people, but probably mostly 40s/50s. The Niew Amsterdam is the line's newest ship; I loved the Eurodam, which is a slightly older sister ship. I would guess that there will be plenty of gay people on a Dancing with the Stars cruise and it will have special entertainment. (I am a little biased here--I was not aware of such cruises and now want to book one for myself in the future.)

Princess, Celebrity or HAL would work perfectly for them. I'm been on all three. I like Celebrity the best as well as RCI. There is no such thing as a discriminatory cruise line although you could always find a rare passengers or crew member that might not be gay friendly, but you could find that anywhere in the world or any ship. Princess and I believe HAL too does puts a GLBT/FOD gathering in the ship's newsletter so like minded passengers to connect for cocktails and conversation. Celebrity/RCI only post a gatherings in the ship communal bulletin board. I would read as many of the reviews here on CC for each ship and decide what ship for work best for them. There are literal thousand of reviews. Here is the link. You can search by cruise line and ship:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/?src=nav

I would NOT recommend your friends take Carnival as their first cruise, but we have never had problems on the Carnival cruises we've been on. I've posted twice about Gay-friendliness of Carnival in another thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28233927&postcount=170

We've done Carnival, Celebrity, Costa, Princess and Royal Caribbean. Our favorite is a toss up between Celebrity and RCI (Celebrity for food, service and "taste level", RCI for facilities and very friendly staff). We liked Princess only for the itinerary, but found the ship and people to be "meh", and probably won't sail them again. We used to like Costa, but that was back when Americans were the minority on their ships (the Titanic drills, Welcome Aboard shows, even Bingo were done in FIVE languages!).

As for Carnival, we will definitely sail them again: there is usually a "Friends of Dorothy"/LGBT social scheduled on the FIRST night (meaning nobody requested it, they just put it in the schedule automatically), and everyone we've met has been very friendly (passengers and crew). And yes, it is OBVIOUS we're a gay couple, since we're in speedos at the pool, sitting together at the bars and restaurants, etc.

Back to your friends: I'd recommend a gay group cruise, like Aquafest, Chumley's, Arno's or our favorite, Pied Piper. Pied Piper leans toward Celebrity and Cunard ships, which fits in with the profile of your friends. Also, Pied Piper has an extensive calendar and varied itineraries. We're on their Post-Thanksgiving cruise in two weeks, on Celebrity Reflection. Check them out on piedpipertravel dot com.

Dennis & Richard

Costa Romantica, 4/1998

Celebrity Mercury, 4/1999

Celebrity Galaxy, 12/1999

Costa Victoria, 4/2000

Costa Atlantica, 4/2001, 4/2002, 4/2003, 4/2005

Costa Mediterranea, 4/2004

RCI Serenade, 4/2006

Golden Princess, 6/2006

Carnival Sensation, 10/2006

RCI Radiance, 11/2006

Carnival Holiday, 10/2007