Question about tipping servers...

dcollette

I know, I know, not another tipping question. Really, this has made me wonder lately. Previously, I have added an additional gratuity (tip) when ordering beverages, etc. to the "slip" that you have to sign (and yes, I know on bar bills, they automatically add the gratuity). My question is this--does your server actually get that extra or is it "shared" among staff when you add more to your receipt? Am I better off just tipping them in cash to make sure any server that I feel went above and beyond actually gets the extra money I feel they deserve? I guess I assumed (silly, I know) that they would get the extra themselves, but now I have to wonder.

Any information would be super helpful. I would hate to think I have previously "cheated" my servers out of an extra tip because I added it onto the bill instead of giving it to them in cash. :(

If you put it on the slip, the extra tip goes into the pool. If you tip in cash, the server gets to keep it. At least, that's what I've been told. ;)

I was just on the Epic last week and the bar staff told me that they get the tips we leave whether it is in cash or is an add-on that we sign for. It does NOT go into a pool

They said that the tips are a big part of their compensation.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

If they are pooling the tips then it makes no sense that only the extra tips put on the slip are included but not the cash tips. Usually with pooled tips it's all or nothing. Servers receiving cash may have more of an opportunity to hold back but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be throwing them into the pool.

I know, I know, not another tipping question. Really, this has made me wonder lately. Previously, I have added an additional gratuity (tip) when ordering beverages, etc. to the "slip" that you have to sign (and yes, I know on bar bills, they automatically add the gratuity). My question is this--does your server actually get that extra or is it "shared" among staff when you add more to your receipt? Am I better off just tipping them in cash to make sure any server that I feel went above and beyond actually gets the extra money I feel they deserve? I guess I assumed (silly, I know) that they would get the extra themselves, but now I have to wonder.

Any information would be super helpful. I would hate to think I have previously "cheated" my servers out of an extra tip because I added it onto the bill instead of giving it to them in cash. :(

when we give extra; beverage person, wait staff in the specialty dining rooms, whatever, we do it in cash. That way we are sure they get to keep it...

If they are pooling the tips then it makes no sense that only the extra tips put on the slip are included but not the cash tips. Usually with pooled tips it's all or nothing. Servers receiving cash may have more of an opportunity to hold back but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be throwing them into the pool.

sorry, I happen to disagree with you on this one: I have heard, in theory, they are supposed to pool the cash, but most do not. If I give a person, a special extra tip it is for the service they provided and not for the entire crew. Remember, the 12.00 a day is a service charge, which can be considered different from a tip.

I also always add extra to the slip ..especially by the pool.. they keep you well supplied then! I never thought the server himself would not get it. Food for thought...maybe I will travel with a supply of ones this trip....

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

After 20 years in the restaurant business I can say the following:

1. Always over tip.

2. The establishment can determine whether or not tips are pooled and it's none of your business. The employees know the score. If the are providing excellent service and they know tips are pooled, they provide the service because that is the kind of person they are.

One person does not good service make. Many people work behind the scenes that helps to make that person good at what they do.

Again, it's none of your business.

1. Always over tip.

2. The establishment can determine whether or not tips are pooled and it's none of your business. The employees know the score. If the are providing excellent service and they know tips are pooled, they provide the service because that is the kind of person they are.

One person does not good service make. Many people work behind the scenes that helps to make that person good at what they do.

I would agree just because the server brought it to you the bar tender had to make it.. someone had to order and stock the liquor ice whatever..

1. Always over tip.

What a breath of fresh air!!! I have been*screamning* this since 2004. The amount or way that the crew is paid is NOBODY'S business!

Thank you :)

(I also agree with the always overtip comment, of course that is an individual's business as well. I just happen to agree with you on that :))

Edited by halos

What a breath of fresh air!!! I have been*screamning* this since 2004. The amount or way that the crew is paid is NOBODY'S business!

(I also agree with the always overtip comment, of course that is an individual's business as well. I just happen to agree with you on that :))

Yes, you have. I can here it from here. BTW...you have hotmail.

I was just on the Epic last week and the bar staff told me that they get the tips we leave whether it is in cash or is an add-on that we sign for. It does NOT go into a pool

They said that the tips are a big part of their compensation.

This is correct--the confusion comes because FORMERLY, any added tips went in to the pool. That is no longer true. BUT cash is still preferred, as the tip added to the bill is taxed.

Last December on the Epic I specifically asked our favorite bar waiter about this issue. He was very clear in stating that he gets to keep 100% of any tip we give on the credit slip or in cash. We also asked out favorite bartender and got the same answer.

BUT cash is still preferred, as the tip added to the bill is taxed.

Taxed where? The employees are usually required to report their income independently to their respective home countries, cruise lines don't do that automatically as far as I've understood.

Edited by Demonyte

Count me in to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free