Opinions on the port of Samana- from Noordam

cruiseapril

My husband and I were on the Noordam last November and stopped at Samana, DR. We saw young girls begging for money, but they were holding Iphones. As we were walking back to the tender, we looked at a few stalls, and then it was apparent that we didn't want to look at any more, one woman vendor came over to us and slapped my husband hard across the back of his arm. We reported it to the ship. We won't be getting off there again.

My BIL lives on Saint John. He was recently visitng us and hadspent a week in Samana this fall. He loved it there. Like many other ports, you need to get away from the dock to see it. He particularly recommended the waterfalls, and a great resort. There is probably only one 4 or 5 star resort there. He said the people are friendly and nice there, but poor. It is a shame cruise ships are pulling out.

We did a tour with Terry in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Samana is different from all the other ports on this itinerary. IMO, you are missing out if you stay on the ship or go to Cayo Levantado. Plenty of fun guided tour opportunities.

The scenery cruising in and out of the bay is gorgeous, too.

We've decided to book this cruise on the Noordam and will figure out our Samana plans later.

The other 5 ports are so attractive to us (we liked Grand Turk) and we want to go on the Noordam again. We found the staff to be excellent and the ship beautiful.

I booked a 6 in 1 Zip Line tour with Terry in Samana for our December cruise aboard the Noordam. Looks like a fun excursion and I love zip lining (DH isn't thrilled with zip lining but he's a good sport). I've heard wonderful things about Terry's tours so I'm really looking forward to it, should be fun day of zip lines, waterfalls and the beach.

Last winter, a couple of us did a 4 wheeling tour with Terry and had a superb time. We had some folks in the group that left us part way to do the zip line, while we continued our ride. We all ended up back together for lunch on the beach, and the zip liners reported having fun.

Terry did a very nice job with the tour, I would do it again. The reviews for whale watching weren't too good, with folks having safety concerns, so read those before you book. I would trust Terry, though, if he offers one. There's a lot of poverty on the island, but I also noticed billboards reminding residents that tourism could bring the island out of poverty, and not to litter, so the island is aware of their issues, and they are trying to improve. I never felt at all unsafe, even going off alone to find a wireless connection. They were hungry and persistent, but a pleasant " no thank you" worked.

In some ways, I liked it better than the more commercially advanced islands. No Diamonds International here (at least yet!)

We've booked with Terry's Tours. Lots of great feedback on TripAdvisor.:)

I don't think you will be disappointed. I took a 4 wheeler excursion with Terry last year. Our group enjoyed themselves, very much, and they got us back to the port at the time we requested. Since its a tender port, we didn't want to cut it too close.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I took a 4 wheeler excursion with Terry last year. Our group enjoyed themselves, very much, and they got us back to the port at the time we requested. Since its a tender port, we didn't want to cut it too close.

Awesome. :). Thank you for letting me know!