Lets be fair on seat reservations

Thank you for your clarification. So its equal opportunity for 14 day customers on return flights but on outward bound flights the 7 day customers have an advantage. I guess we agreed to this when booking.

It seems rediculous there are different ways round this as alluded to by various posts on this thread. Also presumably resort holiday customers (7 & 14 days) could be on the same flights and subject to the same 90 days rule.

Hi Len, it's also equal footing if you are travelling from an airport that only does fortnightly flights to a destination...like my flight from Newcastle. I checked and (hopefully) there are no 7 day holidays on my dates. Yes, resort based customers will also be the same.

It is a good idea to take your paperwork and booked seat numbers with you as I recall a problem 4 years ago.

My DH and I had paid to book seats to and from Mexico but at the airport we bought Premium seats at a reduced price for the outward journey. That meant that another couple was sat in our pre-booked seats on the way out.

On the return flight they were trying to sell the Premium seats but there were few takers which probably meant that if they did not sell them they would have to upgrade people or there may not be enough seats in the main section. When we got our seat numbers they were not the ones we had pre-booked but they were similar and we were sat together so we just accepted them.

However, another couple did not get their booked seats and were seated separately. To say they were not happy is an understatement but they did not have any paperwork with them to even prove they had paid to sit together.

Hi All, Thanks for your questions regarding our Select Your Seat policy. You’re correct in saying that our current policy is that seats can’t be selected until you’re within 90 days of your return date. This is because there are system restrictions on the Flight Extras website, which mean that customers have to book both sets of flight seats at the same time. As some holidays do have different durations, flight plans will therefore open a little earlier for some on the passengers on shorter holidays – but as we’re now unable to reserve seats manually and for separate legs, you still wouldn’t be able to book your seats before 90 days of your return date.

However, if you book this facility and forget to select your seats prior to departure, you will still be guaranteed seats together for your party – and if we’re unable to honour this for any reason, you will be entitled to a refund of the cost for the affected leg(s).

Furthermore, I’ve noted that one or two have you have reported that seats across the aisle aren’t classed as seats together – but this isn’t the case. If you’ve booked the Select Your Seat service you will be able to choose seats across the aisle, as these are classed as seats together. The only restrictions that apply to pre-booked seating (other than welfare/infant bookings) is that a single seat can’t be left by the window. This is why some of you may’ve been unable to select this configuration of seating for your party. I hope the above’s helped clarify any questions you’ve had around the Select Your Seat service.

Thanks,

Christina

Hi All, Thanks for your questions regarding our Select Your Seat policy. You’re correct in saying that our current policy is that seats can’t be selected until you’re within 90 days of your return date. This is because there are system restrictions on the Flight Extras website, which mean that customers have to book both sets of flight seats at the same time. As some holidays do have different durations, flight plans will therefore open a little earlier for some on the passengers on shorter holidays – but as we’re now unable to reserve seats manually and for separate legs, you still wouldn’t be able to book your seats before 90 days of your return date.

However, if you book this facility and forget to select your seats prior to departure, you will still be guaranteed seats together for your party – and if we’re unable to honour this for any reason, you will be entitled to a refund of the cost for the affected leg(s).

Furthermore, I’ve noted that one or two have you have reported that seats across the aisle aren’t classed as seats together – but this isn’t the case. If you’ve booked the Select Your Seat service you will be able to choose seats across the aisle, as these are classed as seats together. The only restrictions that apply to pre-booked seating (other than welfare/infant bookings) is that a single seat can’t be left by the window. This is why some of you may’ve been unable to select this configuration of seating for your party. I hope the above’s helped clarify any questions you’ve had around the Select Your Seat service.

Thanks,

Christina

thanks thoms for this answer

ok so we are 6 pax

is this why on a 2 3 2 (long haul) config we cant book a single row of 6 seats? as there will be either a window seat left empty or one seat in the middle of the middle left empty?

usually we try to book either: 3 rows of 2 (windows) or 2 rows of 3 (in the middle)......is this where we are going wrong??

are you saying that we could actually book 2 rows of 2 (window seats) plus 2 across the isle??:confused:

Its not equal footing from bham as you can book one or two weeks should imagine its the same from Manchester or Gatwick. Sorry Thomson you keep blaming problems with the systems its just so annoying make the ruling 83 days from flying out date that way its fairer.PS still waiting for the release hoping it will happen tomorrow as I'm at work Monday.

thanks thoms for this answer

ok so we are 6 pax

is this why on a 2 3 2 (long haul) config we cant book a single row of 6 seats? as there will be either a window seat left empty or one seat in the middle of the middle left empty?

usually we try to book either: 3 rows of 2 (windows) or 2 rows of 3 (in the middle)......is this where we are going wrong??

are you saying that we could actually book 2 rows of 2 (window seats) plus 2 across the isle??:confused:

Hi Geomagot,

On a 2 3 2 configuration aircraft you’d be able to book 2 window and aisle seats and then 2 in the middle e.g. 37AB CD FG. However you’re right, you could get creative and look at other set-ups like 37AB C then 38AB C or even 37AB CD and 38AB. As long as there isn’t a single window seat left, we can generally book any other seat configuration.

Regards

Lisa-Marie

Hi Geomagot,

On a 2 3 2 configuration aircraft you’d be able to book 2 window and aisle seats and then 2 in the middle e.g. 37AB CD FG. However you’re right, you could get creative and look at other set-ups like 37AB C then 38AB C or even 37AB CD and 38AB. As long as there isn’t a single window seat left, we can generally book any other seat configuration.

Regards

Lisa-Marie

thanks thoms...for clarification

I have always tried to book a whole row ....it never lets me do that as it always leaves an empty seat!....will get creative next time;)

now....how about the 1 weekers getting priority on seat bookings over the 2 weekers prob? would thoms airways like to comment on this?...can you pass the message(s) on?

thanks again

its not a prob if there are just 2 of you....we have always been seated together when just myself & ms magot travel and i never stump up the prebook fee....just get to checkin in good time

I guess some like a particular location and will pay to prebook

but its when you are a family (or group that wants to travel together) that problems can occur (although even then they will not seperate young children under 12y from their parents)

I really balk at having to pay this fee....other airlines dont charge and you can chose your seat at time of booking, why cant thoms? do they want to lose their no frills tag or not? its not down to aircraft scheduling as thats done well in advance sometimes years in advance on scheduled flights

on the 90 day rule

I suspect they have a 90 day rule because if there are any last minute aircraft changes (they are a little prone to substituting chartered aircraft from other lines) then it doesn't cost them anything to re-arrange everyone....its cost cutting....basically, they charge us for their cost cutting?!:rolleyes:

What's all the hoo-ha about? We just turn up when check-in opens and have no problem being seated together. Definitely wouldn't pay.:eek:

We don't usually pay to reserve but when on long haul we find it preferable to be seated together especially on over-night return flights lasting 9 hours. As the seating configuration is often a 2-3-2 many couples do find themselves sitting behind one-another as if one couple occupies two of the seats in the centre, there are loads of single seats left over.

We have found often too that the seats seem to be already allocated at check-in. Perhaps this isn't always the case (or I'm wrong!) or at all airports but I don't necessarily think arriving early is a guarantee.

its not a prob if there are just 2 of you....we have always been seated together when just myself & ms magot travel and i never stump up the prebook fee....just get to checkin in good time

I guess some like a particular location and will pay to prebook

but its when you are a family (or group that wants to travel together) that problems can occur (although even then they will not seperate young children under 12y from their parents)

I really balk at having to pay this fee....other airlines dont charge and you can chose your seat at time of booking, why cant thoms? do they want to lose their no frills tag or not? its not down to aircraft scheduling as thats done well in advance sometimes years in advance on scheduled flights

on the 90 day rule

I suspect they have a 90 day rule because if there are any last minute aircraft changes (they are a little prone to substituting chartered aircraft from other lines) then it doesn't cost them anything to re-arrange everyone....its cost cutting....basically, they charge us for their cost cutting?!:rolleyes:[/quote]

Don't bank on it any alterations within the 90 days being communicated to you or seat bookings re-confirmed geo!

Apparently our plane has been changed for our return flight from the Caribbean. Someone had notification of a change but three phone calls later and considerable resistance and insistence that they 'would have notified us of any changes' I eventually determined that there was a different plane.

All well and good (remembering I hadn't been told and still haven't for that matter!) except that the seats we'd booked on the original seat plan on Thomson's site, on the new plane simply did not exist - the rows ran out before our booked seats!!!!

Moreover they had taken it upon themselves to re-allocate us seats - exactly where we'd paid to avoid!!!! So they'd changed the plane (different seat plans) taken our seat reservation costs, didn't notify us, got almost stroppy telling me of course the plane hadn't changed but after I insisted they checked again decided they would put me through to 'Flights' (i.e. having now realised there had been a change - but didn't admit her error), gave me seats I didn't want without a 'by your leave' and still haven't officially notified me of the change!

Thomson Admin!!!!!!!!! Grrrrr................ Good job for the Roll Call which alerted me to the problem 'cos no faith in Thomson to do so!

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi all,

We can see there’s been a lot of conversation around our seating system and the majority of them about our 90 day rule for selecting seats. A few of you have mentioned the reasons we have this in place such as potential aircraft changes, different durations etc. And you are correct, but there are other reasons as well and currently there are no plans to change our Airlines seating reservation system. Some of you have also suggested moving it to 83 days from the flying date, but you will still have the same issue for a customer on a 7 night duration travelling the week after a 14 night duration customer. The reason we advise it has to be from the return date is so we have both flights available to book on our system. I hope this helps clarify a few points and as always we appreciate your feedback. If anybody ever needs help with their seating you can contact us via thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk.

Thanks,

Lisa-Marie.

yep...i also believe that the seats are pre-allocated before we arrive at checkin...but they can move you at checkin if you ask....... if you havnt prebooked and you would prefer a particular location and if that location hasnt been prebooked they will just move whoever was allocated those seats....those passengers will never know (at least this has been my experience?...unless something has changed?)

yes I also agree, aircraft changes are frequent and sometimes sudden....this is why (i suspect) they dont allow select your seat at booking, they would incur costs informing everyone that their allocations have been changed so often that it wouldnt be viable....hence the 90 day rule....and even the 90 day rule doesnt always cover it....I agree on the shambles that they seem to create for themselves when there are last minute sudden aircraft changes

tbh...I have no idea? why thoms change their aircraft so often (it must give their scheduling systems a severe headache?) ba/virgin even flybe dont seem to have a problem

all this might also explain why online checkin has been delayed;)

We don't usually pay to reserve but when on long haul we find it preferable to be seated together especially on over-night return flights lasting 9 hours. As the seating configuration is often a 2-3-2 many couples do find themselves sitting behind one-another as if one couple occupies two of the seats in the centre, there are loads of single seats left over.

We have found often too that the seats seem to be already allocated at check-in. Perhaps this isn't always the case (or I'm wrong!) or at all airports but I don't necessarily think arriving early is a guarantee.

Yes, I think the seats are already allocated at check-in. We were amongst the first to arrive and were given our boarding passes printed on card. I didn't like the seats (right at the back) so I asked if we could change. We could and our new boarding passes were printed out on flimsy paper.

Apparently our plane has been changed for our return flight from the Caribbean. Someone had notification of a change but three phone calls later and considerable resistance and insistence that they 'would have notified us of any changes' I eventually determined that there was a different plane.

All well and good (remembering I hadn't been told and still haven't for that matter!) except that the seats we'd booked on the original seat plan on Thomson's site, on the new plane simply did not exist - the rows ran out before our booked seats!!!!

Moreover they had taken it upon themselves to re-allocate us seats - exactly where we'd paid to avoid!!!! So they'd changed the plane (different seat plans) taken our seat reservation costs, didn't notify us, got almost stroppy telling me of course the plane hadn't changed but after I insisted they checked again decided they would put me through to 'Flights' (i.e. having now realised there had been a change - but didn't admit her error), gave me seats I didn't want without a 'by your leave' and still haven't officially notified me of the change!

Thomson Admin!!!!!!!!! Grrrrr................ Good job for the Roll Call which alerted me to the problem 'cos no faith in Thomson to do so!

I sympathise kruzsee, trully...this is a complete debacle....sadly not un typical of thoms airways....and the lack of information is v poor customer service imo....similar has happened to us in the past, v frustrating

thoms airways really should get a grip of this....especially if you are paying for this supposed extra service:mad:

and it should be fair to all

well have been trying all day to get access to the seat booking as my Thomson is saying 76 days till departure add on the 14 days makes 90 days and still it says sorry seat allocation isnt available yet, now I know I am not stupid I spend my working life preparing company accounts and doing vat returns so will it be available tomorrow or will I end up having to ring an expensive phone number and be left on hold for 20 minutes being told how important I am to them. Thomson stop making things so hard.

Edited by infoqueen

well have been trying all day to get access to the seat booking as my Thomson is saying 76 days till departure add on the 14 days makes 90 days and still it says sorry seat allocation isnt available yet, now I know I am not stupid I spend my working life preparing company accounts and doing vat returns so will it be available tomorrow or will I end up having to ring an expensive phone number and be left on hold for 20 minutes being told how important I am to them. Thomson stop making things so hard.

Any luck today (Monday) infoqueen? We also fly from Birmingham on Feb 16th. I had calculated our 90 days & if I used the same info for your cruise I would have got 18th November.

Maybe their systems not been updated, the maths are wrong or they include the extra day when arriving in Birmingham.

You will need a holiday after all the stress arranging flights. Let us know how you get on. If Mrs Len has this hastle look out for WW3 starting!!!!!:mad:

Good luck

Len :)

Hi infoqueen,

If you'd like me to take a look into this please email your reference number to thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Lisa-Marie.

Hi all,

We can see there’s been a lot of conversation around our seating system and the majority of them about our 90 day rule for selecting seats. A few of you have mentioned the reasons we have this in place such as potential aircraft changes, different durations etc. And you are correct, but there are other reasons as well and currently there are no plans to change our Airlines seating reservation system. Some of you have also suggested moving it to 83 days from the flying date, but you will still have the same issue for a customer on a 7 night duration travelling the week after a 14 night duration customer. The reason we advise it has to be from the return date is so we have both flights available to book on our system. I hope this helps clarify a few points and as always we appreciate your feedback. If anybody ever needs help with their seating you can contact us via thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk.

Thanks,

Lisa-Marie.

Surely the simple answer is to cahnge it to say 60 or 70 days from Holiday departure date.

That way, even if you are lucky enough to have a 21 day holiday, the return flight is still within 90 days (if we used 60 days - or even 2 months), and EVERYONE get the same cahnces as everyone else, for both outbound and return legs.

After all, we only go on 90 days before, because thats when we can , there is no actual need to book your seat that early, we only do it that early to try and get the seat we want before someone else, if it was 60 days, still gives everyone plenty of chance to book their seats, but gives everyone the same chance.

Ok well my monday morning started with optimism and yes I googed my thomson select your seat. went in entered my flight reference number, name and date of departure and voila there it was a plan of the plane. We had been allocated row 12 2 middle seats which i was able to change to row 21 window and aisle. I then entered sisters flight reference (She booked at travel agents not online like me by the way) funnily enough although we have got different names and booked via different methods she also had the seats in row 13 middle of the plane behind ours so changed theirs to for 22 all very strange Im sure somebody has an answer. Anyway the odd thing is I did all this at 8 oclock this morning and here we are at 12.30 and still havent had the email from thomson to tell me that select your seat is now open. Moral of the story is dont wait for your email or all the windows seats may be gone. Everyone waiting go to my thomson and try dont wait for the email.

cheers

shirley:)

they do seem to send the emails out a day after seats have actually opened........if you're lucky and they actually let you know at all:rolleyes:

I usually call them (the airline)...they are usually pretty good and will send a confirmation straight away

Ok well my monday morning started with optimism and yes I googed my thomson select your seat. went in entered my flight reference number, name and date of departure and voila there it was a plan of the plane. We had been allocated row 12 2 middle seats which i was able to change to row 21 window and aisle. I then entered sisters flight reference (She booked at travel agents not online like me by the way) funnily enough although we have got different names and booked via different methods she also had the seats in row 13 middle of the plane behind ours so changed theirs to for 22 all very strange Im sure somebody has an answer. Anyway the odd thing is I did all this at 8 oclock this morning and here we are at 12.30 and still havent had the email from thomson to tell me that select your seat is now open. Moral of the story is dont wait for your email or all the windows seats may be gone. Everyone waiting go to my thomson and try dont wait for the email.

cheers

shirley:)

Thanks Infoqueen, that's excellent information. :)

Any luck today (Monday) infoqueen? We also fly from Birmingham on Feb 16th. I had calculated our 90 days & if I used the same info for your cruise I would have got 18th November.

Maybe their systems not been updated, the maths are wrong or they include the extra day when arriving in Birmingham.

You will need a holiday after all the stress arranging flights. Let us know how you get on. If Mrs Len has this hastle look out for WW3 starting!!!!!:mad:

Good luck

Len :)

Ooohh she's sounds like me Len. All seems to be sorted now oh except my email arrived at just before 5 tonight wonder how many good seats would have been left. Just hope I managed to alert enough people on here and on the other place. I could get myself disliked if I am not careful. Oh well will be a good girl now for a while.:)

Had a right old job reserving our seats..it kept sending me back to row 15! We always like seats in the back section. I think the reservations on line may not have fine live till 8 am. All seats were available in economy apart from the extra leg room seats which are obviously blanked out to all who haven't paid extra to book them.

We are a party of four so have had to go 3 and 1 across the aisle, which is not a problem as hubby and I both like the ease of aisle seats especially on a long haul flight.

Glad it's sorted now, one more thing ticked off the list!

We fly on 9th February for 2 weeks and didn't get an email from Thomson to tell us bookings were open!

Edited by Midsomer Madness

...... or will I end up having to ring an expensive phone number and be left on hold for 20 minutes being told how important I am to them.

I had trouble booking seats online yesterday as the system insisted I was trying to book 2 seats that weren't adjacent. (They were.)

I telephoned the Thomson flight booking number yesterday morning (Sunday) just after 10am with trepidation. The call was answered in seconds, a very helpful chap booked the required seats for me, and the confirmation email arrived in my Inbox before I'd said "thanks" to him. Brilliant service from a human being! :)

However the seat booking validation code needs a tweak. I work for a multi-national IT company, so know it's not difficult.