Monserrat-a must-see!

mooline

We just returned from NCL's 9 day Morocco and Canaries cruise. Great cruise, by the way, and I posted a long review on NCL's board. But we were so, so impressed with Monserrat that I just have to share the enthusiasm!

We booked the ship's tour as a post-cruise excursion. Didn't know much about the sight, but the description sounded interesting and we liked the option for a transfer back to the hotel. Basically, it was "something to do" on our last day.

As the bus made it's way up the mountain, we knew we were in for a treat! In addition to the incredible vistas, mesmerizing grounds and amazing architecture, we were in awe of the fact that this is not just a monastery, it's a small community.

Everyone talks about the Black Madonna, and yes, visiting her is a moving experience. But Monserrat is so much more. Stand in front of the Basilica and take in the intricate carvings on the building. Marvel at the funicular, which rises nearly perpendicular to dizzying heights. Look around, and take in the lovely landscaping.

Most of all, be sure to see the image in one of the small chapels inside the Basilica, to the left as you enter ( I believe it's the 3rd one down.). The recessed image of head, hands and feet is a contemporary depiction of Christ on the cross. Look at it as you walk across the room. The entire head appears to move, continuing to look directly at you. It's not just the eyes that seem to move (as happens in some paintings) but the whole head!! Wow....

Our ship tour was fantastic. The guide, Pilar, was wonderful. We arrived so early as to be the first tour bus there. Save for a handful of individual tourists, we had the place to ourselves. By the time we left about 2+ hours later, lines (especially for the Black Madonna) were snaking around the building and there were at least 20 buses in the lot (plus cars too numerous to count.)

Another reason to visit early: the Basilica housing the Black Madonna closes daily at 10:30 for mass. Arrive too late and you'll miss out.

If there is any way you can squeeze in a trip to Monserrat during your visit to Barcelona, do it -and go early. It was the highlight of our entire trip, and may be yours, too.

Hi mooline. Thanks for posting your thoughts on Monseratt. We were thinking about squeezing in a visit during our 2 day post cruise and was wondering how early you went to beat the crowds. We were thinking about doing our own private your while waiting to check into our hotel. Thanks again for the info. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Dolfans - I have to agree with the enthusiasm for Monserrat. My suggestion if you are staying post cruise - take the afternoon tour. You can drop your luggage at the hotel, pick up the bus at Placa Catalunya and be on your way. The tour leaves after lunch and gets you back at dinner time. That is what we did and it was great.

Dolfans - I have to agree with the enthusiasm for Monserrat. My suggestion if you are staying post cruise - take the afternoon tour. You can drop your luggage at the hotel, pick up the bus at Placa Catalunya and be on your way. The tour leaves after lunch and gets you back at dinner time. That is what we did and it was great.

Thanks for your thoughts, solvotken. Which tour company did you use or did you go on your own?

Dolfans from Miami

Just one caution on the afternoon tour: you may encounter larger crowds. Not sure of that, but I can say, by the time we left (around 11:30 am) many (many) were arriving.

I also have to put in a plug for a private tour guide we used for 2 days pre cruise in Barcelona. Nancy Daum Dailey of Enchanting Barcelona Tours was fantastic. She's an American (from Maryland) living in Barcelona. I believe she can also provide private guided tours of Montserrat. We had already booked the ship's tour well in advance of our visit, otherwise I'd definitely have used her. Her website is http://www.enchantingbarcelonatours.com

Private touring isn't cheap, but you receive a wonderful, personalized experience. This said, if expenses are an issue, I'm sure the public tour that sonvoltken6 describes is perfectly fine. I saw the buses in Plaza Catalunya, easy to find. The important thing is to get to Montserrat and take it all in! :)

Just one caution on the afternoon tour: you may encounter larger crowds. Not sure of that, but I can say, by the time we left (around 11:30 am) many (many) were arriving.

I also have to put in a plug for a private tour guide we used for 2 days pre cruise in Barcelona. Nancy Daum Dailey of Enchanting Barcelona Tours was fantastic. She's an American (from Maryland) living in Barcelona. I believe she can also provide private guided tours of Montserrat. We had already booked the ship's tour well in advance of our visit, otherwise I'd definitely have used her. Her website is http://www.enchantingbarcelonatours.com

Private touring isn't cheap, but you receive a wonderful, personalized experience. This said, if expenses are an issue, I'm sure the public tour that sonvoltken6 describes is perfectly fine. I saw the buses in Plaza Catalunya, easy to find. The important thing is to get to Montserrat and take it all in! :)

Thank you mooline for the recommendation for the private tour. I have contacted Nancy and she has provided me details for her 1/2 day tour picking us up from the airport. She sounds really nice and emailed me back right away. Thanks again! :)

Cristina

Dolfans from Miami

• 4 weeks later...

Last August we spent a day in Montserrat. I agree with others it is amazing place and a must see while visiting Barcelona. It was a highlight of our 1 week stay in Barcelona. I think that 2 hours in Monserrat is nothing. We spent a day there and did not have enough time to explore everything. We did DIY tour following Rick Steves’ advice from his Barcelona guide. It is very easy to get to Montserrat by train and a cable car. There are several types of combo tickets that are available to buy in the Tourist Information kiosks. You can read more about different options here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c79251/Barcelona:Spain:Day.Trip.To.Montserrat.html

We bought “Tot Montserrat ticket” in TI kiosk near the Sangrada Falilia. It is the most expensive combo ticket that includes:

· Round trip transportation (metro+train+cable car or monorail),

· Unlimited use of two funiculars,

· Entrance to the art museum with a great collection

· Lunch that include vine.

The price was only 40 euro for everything! I highly recommend spending a day in Montserrat if you have time! You will not regret.

We also did it from the ship at the end of the cruise. What I liked about it was that we were off the ship and directly on our way early in the morning. Our luggage went on the bus with us and then we had an option for either the airport or Placa Catalunya. Our flight was not until the next morning so we opted to be dropped off in the city. We had our luggage in our hotel by early afternoon and had the rest of the day to do what we wanted. We made a return trip to La Sagrada and to the Gothic Quarter. We accomplished a tremendous amount in that one day.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/450

Hi Mooline, is it possible to visit Montserrat without having to ride up the mountain at all (in the aerial car or funicular train)? I don't think two of my teens would ride in those (they don't even do roller coasters). I can't tell if access is strictly by those means or not.

The afternoon group tours that can be booked at the main Tourist office in Place Catalunya (and leave/drop off from that area) do not require using the funicular...the bus drops you off at the top. Tour was quite comprehensive and gave us time to walk around, shop in the gift shop and enjoy the Farmers Market which offered wonderful cheeses and fig/date cakes. (Not sure if this is a daily market so check with the Tourist office.) Don't miss Montserrat!:)

Yes, visit this beautiful place that inspired Gaudi's work.

We bought the combo pass in Plaza Catalunya, right in front of El Corte Ingles department store. It was a great deal and included two metro passes.

The train ride out there was comfortable and interesting. The cable car and funicular ride up and down were great ( I'm afraid of heights, but this was easy) to get to the church and main square, the cable car can't be avoided, but to go to the second level where we hiked for an hour, you take the funicular. They aren't anything like amusement park rides. They're very slow and sedate. The views are worth it.

Enjoy!

Edited by Dunmore2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to summarize: one can get to Montserrat by train+cable car or by train+ the rack train or by car.

Two funiculars are on site and they take you higher up in the mountains for trails or down to the cove where the black virgin was found. You can also walk but I do not recommend. J

The cable car can be avoided if you get off the train one stop later. You can then take the rack train up. Very comfortable.