Rangiroa excursions?

lallarebecca

We´ll have one day in Rangiroa during our upcoming cruise and since it is my first time there and I have no clues about the island I would like all your advice!

Any excursions that you can recommend? Places/things that should not be missed etc.? All advice is highly appreciated!

I´m in my early 30´s and will be travelling with my mother in her early 60´s, we are both healthy and reasonably fit, but we do not like something to extreme when it comes to excursions. However we love the sea, and especially snorkelling.

Thanks!

You have enough time

I only refer vendors that I have personally taken or have good information on from trusted posters.

I gave you the one vendor I personally used for the Blue Lagoon. I know there are a few others who do the tour but I don't have personal knowledge of how good they are ..........

Rangiroa.jpg

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Thanks again!

Is the only option to e-mail them? They do not have a website? Do they demand prepayment (I do not like giving out my cardnumber in a non-secured way).

Also, I read about the Pink sands in Rangiroa, do you (or anyone else) got any opinions on that? Which is the most beautiful place between Pink sands and Blue Lagoon?

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the area and would suggest two things if you do not want to spend time going across the huge lagoon. Many people said that the 'free' trip to Gauguin Pearl Farm was great. On the bus they saw a lot of Rangiroa living and the info and Pearl Farm got thumbs up. We did the aquarium snorkel which was amazing.........lots of moray eel's coming out and moving about the ocean floor. Lots of fish/coral and a few larger species on the perimeter. Unfortunately at 12:30 when I was ready to go to the Pearl Farm the bus driver said they were done. I guess they figure if people want to see pearls it's a priority over snorkeling........wasn't our's, and it would have been nice to do both things. The aquarium seemed to be a lot less frenzied in the afternoon too, so maybe you could set up a visit there in the afternoon and the Pearl Farm in the morning?

Just returned from the area and would suggest two things if you do not want to spend time going across the huge lagoon. Many people said that the 'free' trip to Gauguin Pearl Farm was great. On the bus they saw a lot of Rangiroa living and the info and Pearl Farm got thumbs up. We did the aquarium snorkel which was amazing.........lots of moray eel's coming out and moving about the ocean floor. Lots of fish/coral and a few larger species on the perimeter. Unfortunately at 12:30 when I was ready to go to the Pearl Farm the bus driver said they were done. I guess they figure if people want to see pearls it's a priority over snorkeling........wasn't our's, and it would have been nice to do both things. The aquarium seemed to be a lot less frenzied in the afternoon too, so maybe you could set up a visit there in the afternoon and the Pearl Farm in the morning?

Where do I board the free pearl farm bus? I'm hoping to take it in the morning and then see about finding another tour to the aquarium. You didn't mention the tour operator you went with to the aquarium. We are on the Ocean Princess in just six short days!!!

When you tender in from the ship there will be artisans with tents. There is a sign saying shuttle bus to pearl farm. You just hang out on the landing and get picked up and dropped off there.

For the aquarium we used a local fellow (Frank) at Paradive..... a few shacks up from the landing on the right. He was great however he has a zodiac that does not have a ladder on it. He really had to heave me up out of the water as I have some joints that don't cooperate well for lifting! There was a tour operator right at the landing offering aquarium tours for $50 for one hour. Frank was $50 for two hours.....and didn't feed the fish. Access in the zodiac was the only concern for me. I wish you the best in doing both things. Definitely check with Frank if you're comfortable with the Zodiac as he spent the afternoon doing drift snorkels with another couple......not a bad deal, but the current was so fast I think the aquarium was a better pick. Rambling? Yes, it's the after effect of that beautiful area of the world!! Oh, and on Moorea the Lagoonarium was open for business when we were there. That actually won our choice for the best underwater experience with marine life and we regret that we had only a few hours on that little private paradise. At $40 per person it is a steal! :D

Our friends did Leon to the blue lagoon and loved it. Said it was superb. We booked terevaexcursions and he wouldn't take us as he was overbooked and left us there on the dock even though I had our email with the confirmation.

We ended up taking a water taxi to aquarium for snorkeling and it was wonderful. Taxi boats show up at the dock after all the excursions leave. We also swam and snorkeled right from the beach beside the dock. Swim to the left and snorkel from the right of the doeck. And then we walked across (very short distance) on shore to the other side for a wonderful walking beach. No swimming there though. So if you are left stranded by your guide there is still lots to do.

Leon's tour was by far one of the best tours we've ever done. I will write a review in the next few days but I can't say enough good things about it. The only thing worth mentioning is that it's a one hour boat ride to the reef island and it was bumpy and you may get a little splashed. On the ride over my husband was making faces at me but as soon as we got there he said that it was absolutly worth the ride.

• 1 month later...