Comparing Christmas between MSC (US cruises) and other lines (US cruises)

Starlight Durban Cruising

Am considering a Christmas cruise for end of 2014, and would like to know from someone who has:

- cruised with MSC on a US region cruise in the Christmas week, AND also

- cruised with another line (Carnival if possible) on a US region cruise in the Christmas week (in another recent year).

Can you provide a comparison as to which one was more "Christmassy" i.e. got more into the spirit. I've been on Carnival in early December and the decorations were pretty limited. OK, I don't expect it to look like Disneyland, but I was expecting MORE than just the gingerbread display and a couple of trees and baubles spread around the ship.

I will in future be travelling with a child so would like us to have a really nice Christmas experience. Thanks.

We were on MSC Poesia last Christmas (2013). I can tell youa bout that, but haven't cruised any other line over the holidays.

The decorations were lovely. Lots of them, trees everywhere. Lots of lights. Really pretty.

Christmas Eve they had on the Animation team guys dress up as Santa. Pretty pathetic costume, but they weren't really trying to be 'authentic' (also remember that St Nick, or Father Christmas in Europe is very different that the US Santa). He gave out gifts to the kids which was nice. Long lines, but our young ones enjoyed it.

Not sure if this was just our perception, or if others felt the same, but we got the impression that the crew just weren't "into it" much. It felt kinda flat. We were also on board the following week for New Year, with the same crew, and the atmosphere was totally different, it was an awesome vibe - lots of fun and excitement.

I wonder just how much the crew miss their families at Christmas (even those who don't celebrate)? Its got to be tough on them.

Not many people decorated their cabin doors. We did ours, and got lots of positive comments. Just a little wreath, nothing much. Lots of Christmasy t-shirts and Santa hats to be seen.

It was fun, but I think I would prefer to do New Year over Christmas next time.

Edited by shunter2309
correction.

Am considering a Christmas cruise for end of 2014, and would like to know from someone who has:

- cruised with MSC on a US region cruise in the Christmas week, AND also

- cruised with another line (Carnival if possible) on a US region cruise in the Christmas week (in another recent year).

Can you provide a comparison as to which one was more "Christmassy" i.e. got more into the spirit. I've been on Carnival in early December and the decorations were pretty limited. OK, I don't expect it to look like Disneyland, but I was expecting MORE than just the gingerbread display and a couple of trees and baubles spread around the ship.

I will in future be travelling with a child so would like us to have a really nice Christmas experience. Thanks.

Best Xmas ever we had on Costa Magica in 2006.Decor ,dinner ,atmosphere was amazing. They even put little Pantones in each cabin that was very nice to find when we come back )

MSC has beautiful decoration and very nice show for kids + there is Santa on stage and presents. Kids will love it . Dinner was like regular formal night dinner nothing special .