S Caribbean excursion help, DIY, inexpensive

cj'smom

Sailing on the Sun this week on the 11 day S Caribbean itinerary. For those who have done this itinerary or these ports, we could use some suggestions on inexpensive things to do in port. We don't mind doing things ourselves, taking local transportation or booking an excursion right at the port. Are there good ports to hire a taxi and have the driver show us around? We will have a 13 yr old and 16 yr old with us. Looking to keep costs down. We enjoy beach days, history/culture and snorkeling. Not into shopping or eating meals off the ship. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ports are:

Cartagena

Aruba

Curacao

St. Maarten

St. Thomas

Sailing on the Sun this week on the 11 day S Caribbean itinerary. For those who have done this itinerary or these ports' date=' we could use some suggestions on inexpensive things to do in port. We don't mind doing things ourselves, taking local transportation or booking an excursion right at the port. Are there good ports to hire a taxi and have the driver show us around? We will have a 13 yr old and 16 yr old with us. Looking to keep costs down. We enjoy beach days, history/culture and snorkeling. Not into shopping or eating meals off the ship. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ports are:

Cartagena

Aruba

Curacao

St. Maarten

St. Thomas[/quote']

Aruba is a perfect spot for the beach - some very nice beaches with grocery stores across the street if you need to restock anything.

Somebody recently did a review of this trip with pictures in the last couple weeks. Can't recall who though.

Some ideas...Aruba is great for beach Take a taxi or bus ,inexpensive. I prefer Eagle Beach as less crowded and seems less windy You can rent chairs at various hotels We used Amsterdam Manor and liked it so much went back for a week !

Curaco is easy on your own Off the ship walk the short way into town (across the bridge) and you can get a local tour (small bus) cheaply. I was not fond of the beaches there.

St Marten we always go to Orient Beach Transportation right outside the dock.

St Thomas you may want to go to Meagans Bay if youve never been there A must for 1st time visitors.

All fo the above are very inexpensive unless you spend a lot on food and drink

Just came back from several of those ports.

St. Thomas- We took a taxi to Sapphire Beach. It was $10 per person each way but, I think that can be negotiated down. Sapphire Beach is absolutely beautiful. Soft sand, facilities, chairs and food. Beautiful snorkeling! However, I would suggest getting there early if there are other ships in port with you. RC's Oasis of the Seas got in after us and the beach filled up very quickly.

Aruba- I would suggest getting the ship's excursion to De Palm Island. The snorkeling there was out of this world!! So many varieties of fish! Lots to do on the island, full facilities and beautiful beach. More expensive to do on your own but, I thought it was very worth the price we paid through the cruiseline.

Curacao- Didn't hit any beaches there but the Hato Caves were very interesting(make sure you wear comfortable shoes, if you go). The city tour both before and after was very interesting. I adored Curacao and would go back in a heartbeat!!

Have a wonderful trip!!!!!