Torquoise Bay Day Pass

overthehillcruiser

Has anyone been here, and if so, how was it. It is on the Northeast end of Roatan past Punta Gorda, which we have been to..Looks like a deal for $25 PP including transportation , and might be a good place to escape the crowds.

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

We have visited Turquoise Bay a few years ago and I wrote a brief report here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1762877&highlight=turquoise+bay

We enjoyed our day on the beach away from the crowds which is what we prefer. As I said in the report we had other plans for lunch so I cannot vouch for the food. We had a private driver for the day so we did not use their transport.

One thing to note, the resort is not past Punta Gorda and it is not where it is indicated on the map on their website!:

If you look at the website map and zoom in close, the resort is located further east where you see an upside down "Y" inlet from the sea, a sandy beach and a resort with a pool. The inlet is where the boats used by Subway sports for diving, snorkeling and fishing are moored. The main road is paved until the last stretch where you turn off for access to the property.

Any further questions, I will try and remember! I see you are booked on the November sailing on the Navigator - we have also booked that sailing, taking advantage of Costa Maya!

Edited by c-leg5

Thank you so much for the reply...Do you recall if they picked you up at the pier, and if so ,was it a group you needed to wait for. There will be four of us,and we really did not care to be up real early. They said no problem by e-mail, but I am not real clear on this. I will read your other post also. We were supposed to go to Costa Maya on CCL Magic inaugural but missed it because of thruster problems. We plan to go to Mahahual and maybe the Tropicante ? Again, many thanks...Hope to see you onboard..By the way, have you checked the prices lately on this sailing on the Navigator as they have dropped . We are now at $1265 total, or $1484 with prepaid gratuities ,and have $165 OBC from NCC and TA.. Thanks again :)

We have visited Turquoise Bay a few years ago and I wrote a brief report here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1762877&highlight=turquoise+bay

We enjoyed our day on the beach away from the crowds which is what we prefer. As I said in the report we had other plans for lunch so I cannot vouch for the food. We had a private driver for the day so we did not use their transport.

One thing to note, the resort is not past Punta Gorda and it is not where it is indicated on the map on their website!:

If you look at the website map and zoom in close, the resort is located further east where you see an upside down "Y" inlet from the sea, a sandy beach and a resort with a pool. The inlet is where the boats used by Subway sports for diving, snorkeling and fishing are moored. The main road is paved until the last stretch where you turn off for access to the property.

Any further questions, I will try and remember! I see you are booked on the November sailing on the Navigator - we have also booked that sailing, taking advantage of Costa Maya!

Thank you so much for the reply...Do you recall if they picked you up at the pier, and if so ,was it a group you needed to wait for. There will be four of us,and we really did not care to be up real early. They said no problem by e-mail, but I am not real clear on this. I will read your other post also. We were supposed to go to Costa Maya on CCL Magic inaugural but missed it because of thruster problems. We plan to go to Mahahual and maybe the Tropicante ? Again, many thanks...Hope to see you onboard..By the way, have you checked the prices lately on this sailing on the Navigator as they have dropped . We are now at $1265 total, or $1484 with prepaid gratuities ,and have $165 OBC from NCC and TA.. Thanks again :)

As I said above, we did not use their transport as we had arranged for a private driver. The price for transport worked out the same since we had 6 in our group and we had other plans for the day. We like the option of having a driver available in case our plans change. The driver stayed with us but I know from your previous posts you are familiar with this option. There was no charge for the day pass to use the facilities, not sure if that has changed as this was about 2 or 3 years ago.

I am not sure if they have their own van for transport, or just sub-contract to the local taxi/tour operators, which was what happened when we did a day pass to Club Natale on our last visit and arranged transport through the resort. In actual fact, I think transport to Turquoise Bay may be arranged through Subway Watersports, which is the diving operation at the resort and who we arranged our fishing trip through independently.

http://www.subwaywatersports.com/shore_excursion.htm#beach

Thanks again. I think we will just use Bodden. Works out same price with no money down, and if we want to go elsewhere no problem and we can stop at convenience store for a cold Port Royal for the ride..I really appreciate all your help..

As I said above, we did not use their transport as we had arranged for a private driver. The price for transport worked out the same since we had 6 in our group and we had other plans for the day. We like the option of having a driver available in case our plans change. The driver stayed with us but I know from your previous posts you are familiar with this option. There was no charge for the day pass to use the facilities, not sure if that has changed as this was about 2 or 3 years ago.

I am not sure if they have their own van for transport, or just sub-contract to the local taxi/tour operators, which was what happened when we did a day pass to Club Natale on our last visit and arranged transport through the resort. In actual fact, I think transport to Turquoise Bay may be arranged through Subway Watersports, which is the diving operation at the resort and who we arranged our fishing trip through independently.

http://www.subwaywatersports.com/shore_excursion.htm#beach

Has anyone been here, and if so, how was it. It is on the Northeast end of Roatan past Punta Gorda, which we have been to..Looks like a deal for $25 PP including transportation , and might be a good place to escape the crowds.

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

Haven't been yet, but we've got this day trip booked for 3 December! I just wanted somewhere away from the crowds of the Tabyana Beach area and it looked perfect. The pictures look lovely and the price is great, and having a pool was the icing on the cake. :) I'll definitely come back and let everyone know how it was - I know I looked for a long time for some good info on Turquoise Bay Resort!

Thank you. Please do post your review of Torquoise Bay..I noticed when I booked Victor Bodden that he recommends it. We too want to escape the crowds. We have been to the east end before, but not to TB..Have fun..:)

Haven't been yet, but we've got this day trip booked for 3 December! I just wanted somewhere away from the crowds of the Tabyana Beach area and it looked perfect. The pictures look lovely and the price is great, and having a pool was the icing on the cake. :) I'll definitely come back and let everyone know how it was - I know I looked for a long time for some good info on Turquoise Bay Resort!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay - it was a busy December after the cruise! Heck, getting home (and getting my luggage) took an extra few days as well due to the winter storm that hit the US that week. Now, on to my thoughts on Turquoise Bay Resort: It was wonderful!

We were picked up outside the cruise terminal by one of the staff and enjoyed sight-seeing through the windows for the 30-40 minute drive to the resort. When we turned off to the dirt road to the resort, we were a tad worried - there were HUGE potholes and mud pits to navigate - the driver reassured us that it was normally not like that, but it had rained the entire previous week. Our day was the first day with no rain in a week and a half, hence the mud and washed out road.

When we got to the resort, we paused to ogle the gorgeous view for a bit, then we were taken in to the front desk and given wristbands. They gave us towels to use for the day, and let us know when lunch would be available. Then we were walked down to the beach and given a welcome drink and 3 lounge chairs under a palapa. It was very early and they were still raking/cleaning the beach after the storms, so we just wandered out in to the water and sipped our cocktails while they raked our area. Heaven. Turquoise Bay is primarily a dive resort, so the beach is honestly almost empty during the day since most guests are out on dive trips. It was so very peaceful - I think we saw 2 other families the entire day, and they were only there for a little while. Very quiet and very beautiful!

As far as food and drinks goes - they serve a full bar menu, and have a good variety of frozen cocktails for a reasonable price. For lunch, they have a menu of sandwiches and appetizers that were also reasonable - around $10 - especially for the amount of food you get! They also prepare a lunch buffet ($15 I think?) that varies by day. They had a fajita type line set up with various meats, as well as soups and an impressive array of fresh fruits and vegetables. Very tasty looking!

We lounged, swam, read, napped, swam and lounged some more until we figured we needed to head back to the ship. I think we allowed ourselves an hour and a half prior to the time we needed to be back on board just in case there was traffic. After we turned in our towels and told the front desk that we were ready, it wasn't more than 10 minutes before our driver was waiting for us and drove us back to the ship. Piece of cake.

It was a lovely, quiet beach day - which was exactly what we were looking for. There were only 2 downsides, which weren't the fault of the resort, or even remotely a deal breaker for us. One was the pool was pretty much unusable - due to the week and a half of rain, the pool was in desperate need of a good cleaning. There was a lot of dirt, leaves etc in it. Ah well, it would have been nice, but the ocean was perfect for swimming as well. And two, my mom and sister-in-law were apparently very tasty to the local dreaded sand flies. Me, not so much. They were covered head to toe with red splotches by the time we left - I think I had one or two. I know it happens all over Roatan, but I've never seen anyone so polka dotted before! Again, VERY minor complaints and I would go back again in a heartbeat.

So that was a lot of typing just to say yes, I would absolutely recommend Turquoise Bay Resort if you're looking for a quiet, isolated, relaxing beach day without crowds, constant party music and beach vendors. The pictures you see on line are exactly what it looks like. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Hi Samantha. Thank you so much for this great report. What I have been trying to get clear from TB is whether there has to be a full bus before they take you to the resort? It will just be my wife and I and we are not in a big hurry to get there, so if this would work, how do they know when to meet you ? Thanks again...

Hi Samantha. Thank you so much for this great report. What I have been trying to get clear from TB is whether there has to be a full bus before they take you to the resort? It will just be my wife and I and we are not in a big hurry to get there, so if this would work, how do they know when to meet you ? Thanks again...

We communicated with TB by e-mail beforehand, and they knew we wanted to get there as early as possible. I'm sure you could just give them an approximate time if you didn't want to go right when the ship docked. When we got off the ship, there was a resort worker holding a sign with my name on it. As soon as the 3 of us met up with him, he went to get his car and off we went. No waiting, no fuss, and there was only room for one other person. They definitely do not linger about waiting for people to 'buy in.' Not sure if it's different if a large group books or not though. Hopefully that helps! :)

Hi again Samantha. I booked it today after reading your great review. I did confirm with Kimberly that it is still $25 PP.. The $35 message I got must have been a typo..Thanks again. Wish me luck..

Wonderful! I hope you have the same lovely, relaxing, sunny day we had. :)

Me again Samantha...This is the response I got..Does it all seem right ? Thanks again..

Your reservation is confirm. The payment can be done once you arrive at the Resort.

Here is how the pickup works:

On March 19th. Please exit the gated cruise terminal area via the covered gangway. Make an immediate left, and follow the paved road up past the security gate. Continue down the hill to an assembly area. This is a 250 yards, 5 minute walk.

Look for someone holding a Turquoise Bay sign or if you can’t see us ask one of the other dispatchers and they will point us out. If for some reason we are not there ask a dispatcher to call one of the following numbers: 9885-0840***9989-8315.

Edited by overthehillcruiser

I was wondering why your instructions looked different from mine, then realized we were on NCL and docked at Coxen Hole - whew, I'm not losing my mind! :D Your instructions look fine from what I remember of where Carnival docks. I would imagine there will be plenty of people heading to exactly the same spot you are, what with the popularity of Bodden tours (I know that's where you have to meet them as well). Also, one other thing I remembered - our driver stopped at one point at an overlook to let us take pictures - and shop, of course :rolleyes: - but we had zero desire to shop. Definitely let him know if you'd like to go straight to the resort instead of stopping. Enjoy your day and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Thank you again so much. We are just like you and do not need shopping. Will ask them to stop at a convenience store for a cold Port Royal or Salva Vida for the ride... ;) Yeah, I thought about after I sent my last message to you about us docking at Mahogany, our first time there.We are very familiar with Coxen..

I was wondering why your instructions looked different from mine, then realized we were on NCL and docked at Coxen Hole - whew, I'm not losing my mind! :D Your instructions look fine from what I remember of where Carnival docks. I would imagine there will be plenty of people heading to exactly the same spot you are, what with the popularity of Bodden tours (I know that's where you have to meet them as well). Also, one other thing I remembered - our driver stopped at one point at an overlook to let us take pictures - and shop, of course :rolleyes: - but we had zero desire to shop. Definitely let him know if you'd like to go straight to the resort instead of stopping. Enjoy your day and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• 3 months later...

We were there March 19 and we had beer..I believe I remember it to be $3....I did not see anyone doing massages but really did not pay that much attention. Maybe someone can answer that..This is a slideshow I did if you did not see it. Most of the first part is Turquoise Bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rer7Fil-rk4