Hotel Maya

suitegirl

Let me ask a question:

Since you are coming in from Connecticut, I take it that you are NOT driving, so don't need a "park and cruise" type package, correct? (not that you shouldn't be concerned leaving your car there)

Wonder why it is so cheap...even on Grand Prix weekend? This is NOT in a very nice part of Long Beach...

Even just "crashing" there, I assume you want to grab some dinner that night of arrival? Your choices there are McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Carl's Jr. and Wienerschnitzel...You are not really going to want to venture too far from the hotel at night...

I guess maybe you are okay with it...For me, I usually want to stay somewhere relatively nice and in a nice location--even if I'm just crashing for the night...

I mentioned the park and cruise options for locals that would be driving there.

I read several positive reviews about the hotel, so we are giving it a chance.

I will report on our visit when we return after our cruise.

Thank you for your concern.

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at the Maya Spring Break last year and it was the best!!! From the warm chocolate chip cookie to the high vaulted ceilings (get a room on the top floor!) and the short walk to port (they also have a bus pick up...but it's an easy walk past the Queen Mary) I seriously wouldn't stay anywhere else!

We used the promo code last year and it worked perfectly! So many people from our roll call stayed at the Maya we had our frist M&G at their restaurant!!!

ImageUploadedByForums1424663722.828608.jpg.dbc84f8652fcb70cc8175d496419f8fa.jpg

I wouldn't count on staying at the Maya for less than $300 a night. Yes, some people get away with a promo code which is intended for Carnival STAFF -- NOT PASSENGERS but you could end up having to prove your status upon registering. Trust me, it has happened.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn once while there was an event going on and a shortage of hotels and it was fine. The area isn't all that scary as we walked a few blocks down the road for breakfast and didn't see anything to be afraid of. Try asking for a room in a quiet area as there are often families with kids.

It's just one night...no biggie.

I wouldn't count on staying at the Maya for less than $300 a night. Yes, some people get away with a promo code which is intended for Carnival STAFF -- NOT PASSENGERS but you could end up having to prove your status upon registering. Trust me, it has happened.

I don't count on it, and surely wouldn't pay #300+ a night to stay here, but when the rate is available, I do take advantage of it.

I'm sure that there are people that have used the "Crew" rate, but I'm typing this post while sitting at the desk in my room at the Maya that was booked as a Carnival Cruise Rate for passengers. The rate isn't always available, but when it is, it is an excellent deal, we paid $136.96 for the room which includes a shuttle to the port and back, and up to 7 days of parking.

We took advantage of the Passport transit bus last night to go to the pike for dinner and drinks, and that is convenient as well, with a stop at the edge of the Maya property.

Gotta go now, the ship is calling us:D

"I wouldn't count on staying at the Maya for less than $300 a night. Yes, some people get away with a promo code which is intended for Carnival STAFF -- NOT PASSENGERS but you could end up having to prove your status upon registering. Trust me, it has happened."

I was also able to book the Maya for our upcoming cruise for $139 with the park and cruise rate by calling and specifically stating I am going on a Carnival Cruise. No "Crew Rate" here.

We love the Maya but have also used the Residence Inn that is not far from the Maya when decent rates for the Maya were not available. They do not have a shuttle but we were able to walk it with all of our luggage in tow. Cab fare back wasn't bad at all.

Have Hyatt points.The Hyatt regency Long Beach.How far to terminal and is it a far ride to Beverly Hills?

I will assume that you are NOT cruising on Carnival (which cruises out of Long Beach). All other cruise lines cruise out of the World Cruise Center in San Pedro--which is across the harbor. (Well, almost always...there are rare exceptions when another Carnival connected line might use the Long Beach facility).

The Hyatt Regency Long Beach is 7 miles from the World Cruise Center...across the channel, then the length of Terminal Island (the industrial island that fronts the harbor), then across the Vincent Thomas Bridge...

The Hyatt Long Beach is approximately 32 miles from Beverly Hills--figure about an hour, depending on traffic...

You might also consider the Hyatt at the Pike in Long Beach--also a very nice and well located hotel in Long Beach.

But, if you are staying multiple nights in the Los Angeles area and want to tour the more traditional sights of the city, you may want to stay somewhere other than Long Beach...

Hyatt Regency Century Plaza is in Century City--directly adjacent to Beverly Hills. Andaz West Hollywood might be another choice with Hyatt points...this property is right on the Sunset Strip--used to be the old "Riot Hyatt" or "Rock'n'Roll Hotel"--as it was once called...

Those hotels would put you much closer to the usual tourist sites of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc.

Of course, a major question might be how you are planning to get around...rental car? taxis? (definitely rule out public transportation).

There are also a couple of Hyatt products in El Segundo--near LAX...Not an exciting neighborhood, but if you have a rental car--picking it up and returning it at LAX, these might work for you as well.

So, give us a little more detail: How long are you staying? How do you want to travel around the area? What would you like to see and do?

Edited by Bruin Steve

I will assume that you are NOT cruising on Carnival (which cruises out of Long Beach). All other cruise lines cruise out of the World Cruise Center in San Pedro--which is across the harbor. (Well, almost always...there are rare exceptions when another Carnival connected line might use the Long Beach facility).

The Hyatt Regency Long Beach is 7 miles from the World Cruise Center...across the channel, then the length of Terminal Island (the industrial island that fronts the harbor), then across the Vincent Thomas Bridge...

The Hyatt Long Beach is approximately 32 miles from Beverly Hills--figure about an hour, depending on traffic...

You might also consider the Hyatt at the Pike in Long Beach--also a very nice and well located hotel in Long Beach.

But, if you are staying multiple nights in the Los Angeles area and want to tour the more traditional sights of the city, you may want to stay somewhere other than Long Beach...

Hyatt Regency Century Plaza is in Century City--directly adjacent to Beverly Hills. Andaz West Hollywood might be another choice with Hyatt points...this property is right on the Sunset Strip--used to be the old "Riot Hyatt" or "Rock'n'Roll Hotel"--as it was once called...

Those hotels would put you much closer to the usual tourist sites of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc.

Of course, a major question might be how you are planning to get around...rental car? taxis? (definitely rule out public transportation).

There are also a couple of Hyatt products in El Segundo--near LAX...Not an exciting neighborhood, but if you have a rental car--picking it up and returning it at LAX, these might work for you as well.

So, give us a little more detail: How long are you staying? How do you want to travel around the area? What would you like to see and do?

We stayed at the Hyatt Place 2 years ago on our cruise from Tahiti to Sydney.We took there shuttle from LAX to the hotel and called Legacy Car Rental.They delivered the car to the hotel and then called them 2 days later to pick it up. Very convenient.

Thanks for the options you gave us.We are booked on Oceania departing Jan 4 2016. Don't know if there will be a problem being that's it's New Years weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Let me ask a question:

Since you are coming in from Connecticut, I take it that you are NOT driving, so don't need a "park and cruise" type package, correct? (not that you shouldn't be concerned leaving your car there)

Wonder why it is so cheap...even on Grand Prix weekend? This is NOT in a very nice part of Long Beach...

Even just "crashing" there, I assume you want to grab some dinner that night of arrival? Your choices there are McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Carl's Jr. and Wienerschnitzel...You are not really going to want to venture too far from the hotel at night...

I guess maybe you are okay with it...For me, I usually want to stay somewhere relatively nice and in a nice location--even if I'm just crashing for the night...

Well, we just returned from our cruise out of Long Beach. We had no issues with staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites on East Willow. The room was more than adequate. We walked around the neighborhood to explore and did not feel that we were in any danger.

Is it in the classiest of areas? No, but it served our purpose of checking in, grabbing a quick bite at a Carl's Junior and picking up some drinks at the Albertson's and last minute purchases at the CVS before crashing.

If we were to come back to the area for a cruise, yes we would prefer staying closer to the ship and the marina area there. But, we would have no qualms with going back to the Comfort Inn and Suites.

It all came down to the prices due to the races that were going on that weekend. We just could not justify paying almost 3 times for a hotel near the ship. The money we saved almost paid for our bar tab on the ship.