Robes

EnTnSA

I'm from Alabama as well, and this is just another example of why most of the world thinks of us as uneducated rednecks. These are the same people you see on the national news after a tornado, or other natural disaster that have one tooth in their head, wearing a wife beater, making comments like "I was drinking my beer and the next thing I knew the tornado just blew my trailer away". :p I can say it, it's my state, and I still love it.

GET DRESSED TO GO IN PUBLIC!

I agree that a basic and easy to remember rule is to "Get dressed to go in public" but "getting dressed" is open to interpretation. ;)

O.T. A couple decades ago, I used to transcribe telephone interviews for an insurance company. Your quote about the beer-swilling redneck and the tornado-torn trailer brings back memories of accents so thick, sometimes it would take us Yankee transcribers hours to decipher what the client was saying. Leg, I learned, can be a 2-syllable word.. lay-ugg. Bit = something like bee-yit .

I had a patient who wore her pajamas and robe into my ambulatory care center to be seen. I always say, if you don't take the time to get dressed then I know you didn't take the time to wash either. Wear what you like, but I hope I am not down wind of you :eek:

on a post-dry dock cruise, our ship had technical problems and the schedule for the new shows was juggled. One I wanted to see ended up being late at night on the final evening.

Assigned cabin was very near the top level entrance to the main show lounge. I wore proper PJs with my robe over top....sneaked in after the lights went down, enjoyed the performance, then was the first one to leave as we were all applauding.

My reasoning was that no harm was done to others around me (hardly anyone sitting up in the rafters anyway!).

While I'm not one to wear a robe in public, I really don't care if anyone else does.

I also don't care if someone, "mostly women", has 'bed head' or looks like a 'trainwreck'. :rolleyes:

If someone is comfortable/happy with the way they look, that's the only opinion that counts.

By all means, if it makes you feel better, spend the time it takes to win the approval of your physical being by people that have no bearing on your happiness or life.

Life's too short to be bothered by such inconsequential, harmless, minutiae.

Besides, you're supposed to be on vacation! :)

It doesn't bother me per say, but it is indicative of the society we live in today. People are completely oblivious to those around them and live in their own bubble.

What if a man decided he would just hop out of bed in his underwear and have breakfast in the morning. would the reaction be different?

What if I hadn't showered in a few days and smelled ripe. Sat down next to you and your family. Would that matter?

There is a level of community that we all must abide by to keep the world in order. It is reasonable to expect that when you go out in public, you attempt to make yourself somewhat ready for that venture. In our society, that means putting on clothes and cleaning yourself.

Oh and I don't doubt this happens on most cruise lines. People are oblivious everywhere. Often times those with more perceived "class" are the worst.

Edited by EnTnSA

Wife and I were just amazed at the amount of people that felt it OK to wander around the ship in their robes, just about every day, on the Triumph last week.

Mornings were the worst. Women mostly, bed head, looked like a train wreck, like they rolled out of bed, threw a robe over their PJs (maybe?), and went upstairs to have breakfast.

I couldn't imagine going out in public in my PJs. We typically don't get dolled up for anything on the ship until dinner time, but we at least get dressed, brush our teeth, look somewhat presentable.

This isn't your house, you are in public, these people are not your family, they are strangers. How about put some clothes on, and make a LITTLE bit of an attempt to clean yourself up a bit.

Am I just being too snooty? Are robes in public socially acceptable? What is your take on it?

Robes are for bathrooms to the dressing areas. Housecoats are usually the things some wear about, but you won't find very many people bringing housecoats on board a ship. Some don't know the difference between the two.

Just don't let someone wearing a robe see you laughing when they wear it out of their cabin, or on a bee line from the spa area to their cabin.

I think some people consider it part of the cruising culture. Eat all day, buy chains by the inch and $10 purses, Order 3 entrees, purchase duty free Vodka and wear your robe all day. I've always thought it was weird and funny but to each his own:D

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app

My wife and I have wore our robes to and from the hot tub when it was cold outside the last day of our cruise once. Does this make me a bad person?:D

I think you know the answer to that.

OF course not. If you guys roll out of bed, throw on a robe, and then come eat breakfast in a public dining room…then possibly.

Edited by EnTnSA

Hmm, this thread has me wondering. Do people wear their PJ's to the movie playing deck side at night? I could see letting my kids wear PJ's for that.

I think kids can get away with a lot more than adults.

My 5 year old wears cute kid PJs, I wear boxer shorts. You don't want me to sit in public in my boxer shorts…I promise… :eek:

I think kids can get away with a lot more than adults.

My 5 year old wears cute kid PJs, I wear boxer shorts. You don't want me to sit in public in my boxer shorts…I promise… :eek:

lol, no that probably wouldn't be well received by most passengers! ;)

WOW! It has been a long time since we had a "Robes in public" thread. I almost thought this issue had died.

I don't see many Old School CC members posting either.

This topic has debated countless times and there are people on both sides the aisle. IMHO, there is not solution. Unless you decide to outlaw robes or make them illegal or what have you. People will do what people will do. Its your choice to be bothered by it or not.

"Do I look bothered? No, I'm not bothered." (Any Catherine Tate fans?)

I am a bit on the fence about this... Robes vs. PJ's are 2 different things...

They make some pretty cute PJ's now. Some PJ's are so nice that you wouldn't even know that they are.

Robes...I just laugh as I have never even taken one out of the closet in my past 10 cruises....If it makes you happy and makes you feel special...GO FOR IT;)

I am guilty of throwing on my jammie sweats with a tank top and jacket, pulling my hair up and heading to the Lido for breakfast.

Sunglasses and lipstick are a women's best friend:D

WOW! It has been a long time since we had a "Robes in public" thread. I almost thought this issue had died.

I don't see many Old School CC members posting either.

This topic has debated countless times and there are people on both sides the aisle. IMHO, there is not solution. Unless you decide to outlaw robes or make them illegal or what have you. People will do what people will do. Its your choice to be bothered by it or not.

"Do I look bothered? No, I'm not bothered." (Any Catherine Tate fans?)

I'm a newbie so not familiar with previous threads, but I have to say, it won't bother me to see people in robes. I think my reaction would just be surprise, followed by humor at the situation. That being said, the visual the one poster had about robe sleeves dipping in the food grosses me out! :eek:

The only threads I seen on robes have all been about the possibility that they aren't washed between cruises...now that I've read that I think I'm going to find it very difficult to put one on anyways.

Not sure what part of Mobile you are from but I have seen this at the Walmart on the Beltline and the one Tillman's Corner. :eek::D

I'm from Alabama as well, and this is just another example of why most of the world thinks of us as uneducated rednecks. These are the same people you see on the national news after a tornado, or other natural disaster that have one tooth in their head, wearing a wife beater, making comments like "I was drinking my beer and the next thing I knew the tornado just blew my trailer away". :p I can say it, it's my state, and I still love it.

GET DRESSED TO GO IN PUBLIC!

I try not to go in the one at Tillman's Corner because of the people that are usually in there. You can see it at any store though, pajamas and mule type house slippers.:rolleyes:

I agree that this is why there is a stigma about people who live here. I would bet that it is pretty much anywhere in the country now though. People just don't care anymore. I hate to even go to the Dollar Store without makeup and it is worse than Wal-Mart.:eek:

Edited by Mysticks1

Wife and I were just amazed at the amount of people that felt it OK to wander around the ship in their robes, just about every day, on the Triumph last week.

Mornings were the worst. Women mostly, bed head, looked like a train wreck, like they rolled out of bed, threw a robe over their PJs (maybe?), and went upstairs to have breakfast.

I couldn't imagine going out in public in my PJs. We typically don't get dolled up for anything on the ship until dinner time, but we at least get dressed, brush our teeth, look somewhat presentable.

This isn't your house, you are in public, these people are not your family, they are strangers. How about put some clothes on, and make a LITTLE bit of an attempt to clean yourself up a bit.

Am I just being too snooty? Are robes in public socially acceptable? What is your take on it?

No big deal. Who cares? Doesn't affect my cruise in any way.

No big deal. Who cares? Doesn't affect my cruise in any way.

Well that could be said about anything if it doesn't affect ones personal space

But then again if it was common and most were walking around than it would be fine for them and others would fell perhaps another lines it's for them

It's all what one wants to associate with It's all good

I guess, from my username, that you can determine my stance on this. You are on vacation...Have fun with it.

YES...you are being snooty.

You also chose to take a vacation on a vessel with a couple of thousand strangers. How about you have the common courtesy to get dressed and clean up a bit.

It isn't your own private yacht.

On the Liberty this past September there was one gentleman who pretty much lived in his robe. He even accessorized with a baseball cap and huge gold chain. Didn't really bother me, though I was looking for him each day to see how long he would keep it up. :D The last day I saw robe-boy was on the 5th, of course I could have seen him afterward and not noticed if he was dressed.