Any tips for runners while on the ship?

mappermom

We will be on the Legend over Thanksgiving. I like to run 3-4 miles a day at a fairly easy pace. My son, however, is in the middle of high school winter track season and really needs to keep up with his workouts. Any advice? I know there is a little track on the sports deck. How about the Sun Deck/deck 10? Will it be too hard dodging people or will there be a fair amount of walkers and runners? Worst case scenario is the we end up on the treadmills in the gym - yuck.

We will be on the Legend over Thanksgiving. I like to run 3-4 miles a day at a fairly easy pace. My son, however, is in the middle of high school winter track season and really needs to keep up with his workouts. Any advice? I know there is a little track on the sports deck. How about the Sun Deck/deck 10? Will it be too hard dodging people or will there be a fair amount of walkers and runners? Worst case scenario is the we end up on the treadmills in the gym - yuck.

I'm plannng on using the dreadmill in the gym :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yep treadmill after the morning rush seems to be easiest and mist efficient.

My experience on royal, the track is impossible during the day, people are oblivious to the fact people are running and just stand there. Early morning not bad as folks still not up or eating.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I will be on the same cruise, so It is possible that we will pass each other. I have been on the Legend two other times at Thanksgiving while training for marathons. I have done both the treadmill and the track. The track will make you want to poke your eyeballs out! What I have found was getting out on the Sun deck around 6:30-7am was perfect. There will not be too many people out and about, and if there are, they will be running as well. Five days until sailing!!!

I was training for a marathon in when I did my 8 day southern on Freedom in August. I hate treadmills so I opted to run on the track. Lots and lots of laps but I got it done.

If you want to run with any speed, I suggest early in the morning (like 5 a.m.). Otherwise, the track becomes crowded with walkers and many walk side-by-side and the track isn't very wide.

I get up around 0630 every morning and hit the running track. I only use the treadmill if it's raining. I can usually get a good 4-5 miles in before it gets too crowded. When I encounter walkers I just give them a warning I am approaching on their left and I have never had a problem.

Get up early as others suggest. The metal floor though is hard on your hips/knees/legs! My fave memories are from a Hawaii cruise where I got off as soon as possible in each port with my room key in one side of my sports bra and my drivers license in the other and went for my run. I was back on the ship, showered and smiling, ready for breakfast in time to meet my girlfriend/travel buddy for breakfast before we got off the ship for our day's adventure! Great memories of running in each port. Runners world forums have a travel section of great runs in different cities to inspire you!

My DD is a marathon runner. She is now twenty, but has run 5 full marathons, and 8 half marathons. Her first full marathon was when she was 13 years old. While cruising she will run for two hours plus on the ship's track. It gets a little crowded, especially in the morning. That is when I usually join her for my typical 3 to 5 mile run. Since it is crowded, the speed slows down due to the number of walkers and runners, so we will run together. But that is ok, because the view of the ocean is priceless.

If the weather is rainy or too cold, then she runs on the treadmill in the gym, but that is not as much fun. There is no reason to inturupt your running schedule due to a cruise.

I really appreciate everyone's input! I am not an early morning person and actually prefer to run in the late afternoon (like I usually do when I get home from work). Sounds like getting out there during the first seating for dinner will be perfect as we are eating later. Hope that I see some of you out there. You won't be able to miss my greyhound-skinny 15 year old son out there trying to stay in shape for winter track. Just a few days to go!!!

The Legend is a Spirit Class ship so it has an exterior promenade deck that goes 3/4 of the way around the ship. It starts just aft of the theater and goes around the stern and back to the theater. You could jog there and turn around and jog the other way.

ManHo and I are ultra marathoners and have trained for many marathons and other races whilst cruising. Go to the gym and ask the trainer for their mileage route. I know when I was on the Legend someone gave me a two or three mile loop plan. It meant using a few sets of stairs but it was better than going in a .9 loop which screws with your camber and hips..

I got up early around 4:30 or 5 and did my route. Same thing on Freedom and Dream, which was easier due to deck 5.

I HATE dreadmills and will use my own pacing any chance I get :)

DH and I are walkers and hikers and find the running and walking track are okay. We aren't dodging people, we just walk around the slower paced people. The first couple of days, people are gung ho and then it really thins out. I hate the gym - only as a last resort. We walk the stairs as well - starting at the bottom and clear to the top 2-3 times a day--great work out.