Ultimate Beverage Program

wizdiz

Just returned from NCL and had the UBP. Cliff notes:

• Package allows premium spirits, but mass confusion onboard as to what brands are included and are not. I tried ordering some that were listed as $8.50 and thus included in the amount for Spirits but was told that because the total with gratuity was over $8.50, it was not included
  • Had to get the Head Bartender involved on several occassions due to above confusion and ended up carrying around his pager/phone number and the UBP info sheet with the pricing listed as to what is included
  • Aside from above annoyances, great selection of drinks and spirits included, and I pushed the boat out and tried many different things knowing that if I hated it - well - it's ok, it's not like I blew $8 or $10 on it!
  • Wine selection excellent. Some 35-40 wines by the glass that are included. Very stong part of the program compared to Royal (house plonk only) and Holland (also house plonk only).
  • No bottled water or coffee beverages as you know. Bummer. I missed that versus Celebrity's quite awesome packages
  • The wine machines including those in the Studio Lounge are NOT included in the UBP. I got confirmation from Bar Manager on this point. Reason being? They cannot monitor use (makes sense) so you could be pouring wine all night for others and abusing package.
  • I gave out $1 tips liberally to "good" bar staff. My service experience was outstanding. I hate to say it, but these folks will reward the folks that reward them. A small gesture to say 'thanks' goes a long long way. I was often enjoying generous pours and even one or two "off package" libations courtesy of a friendly bar staff member

All in all? I'd rate NCL's UBP the second best in the business- after Celebrity. Royal is playing catch up with the awful policy of house plonk (and it's almost undrinkable) and Bud / Bud Light only. Unless you drink cocktails, Royal's package is weak - but I hear big changes are coming.

Holland - they are evaluating, last time I tried a few months back the package was very restricting - no coffees, no bottled water, no nice wine.

Princess - new beverage package will rival Celebrity's from what I know so far.

But NCL - not bad. Throw in coffees and bottled waters and you've really got an ULTIMATE beverage package :))

Hi,

Got back from the Breakaway last sunday :( and we bought the UBP about 35 seconds after we got on the ship. We did use MANY times the automatic wine dispensers and we were NOT charge for the wine.

In fact, ALL other drinks showed up on our account until the last night of the cruise. We got our bill during the last night, I woke up and grabbed the pages and ALL of the drinks were not showing anymore :D

But I can assure you the dispensers DID NOT show up on our account.

I swiped one card and got a wine pour, then I swiped the other card and got our second pour....plenty of less then 10$ per glass wine to choose from...excellent !!

We went to the cirque show on embarkation day ( at 25% less ) and since we had already bought the UBP, we asked if the " champagne cocktail" offered at he show was included, we got a "yes", so we had 2 each during the show. BUT the price of the cocktail were 9,50$....more then the allocated 8,50$ in UBP....we had a nice :mad: 42$ tab !!

One day at the bar just beside the pool on the Breakaway we noticed they had mimosa at 6,50$ ( included in the UBP :) ) so the next morning we went to the buffet and got a mimosa from the bar just outside the buffet area on port side. He made the mimosa with fresh squeezed oranges :D....but now the price was 9,50$ each because of the fresh juice...so OVER the 8,50$ limit of the drink price :mad:

BUT

on the last night when they removed the drink charges from our account, both tab had vanished :D....because both were in the wine category ( with a limit of 10$ )...mimosa is actually listed as proseco and orange juice, and the same thing for the drinks at cirque show ( proseco and mixers )

All and all we were quite happy of the turnout of the UBP.

Next time if we want to maximize the benefits, we will drink less beers ( at 5,25$ ) and more wine ( that we love anyway ) and we will not bring 3 bottles of champagne with us onboard.

All and all we were quite happy of the turnout of the UBP.

Thank you for your detailed report! I hope NCL is monitoring these discussions. Because even though people are happy overall, several issues seem to keep coming up. People being told different things by different staff on different ships. Having different price limits for beer, wine, and cocktails, and it's not always clear for some drinks which category they go into. The fact that the UBP isn't applied until the end of the cruise, so you're never really sure what's covered and what's not. Like I said: design and implementation issues, and I don't think that calling attention to them in an effort to get NCL to improve their customers' experience (while continuing to make money off the product) makes me a typical entitled American.

And I also wonder: what is the point of the sticker? Does the bartender ring up your drinks differently if he/she sees the sticker? Or is it there so the staff know to keep an eye on you and make sure you're not ordering too much or sharing your drinks? What would happen if I bought the UBP and removed the sticker?

How or where can I find out the blackout dates for the package :confused:

Won't be available on your Breakaway cruise~ sorry~

Package not available for purchase March1-April 15, on 1-2 day sailings or

charters or Pride of America.

The last sentence in the first paragraph of the fine print~

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Ultimate-Beverage-Package10242013.pdf

Edited by Alliezona09

Won't be available on your Breakaway cruise~ sorry~

The last sentence in the first paragraph of the fine print~

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Ultimate-Beverage-Package10242013.pdf

That last sentence just means that you can not buy it on 1 or 2 day cruises (Cruise to nowhere). Has nothing to do with my cruise or anyone else that is going on a cruise of 3 days or more.

That last sentence just means that you can not buy it on 1 or 2 day cruises (Cruise to nowhere). Has nothing to do with my cruise or anyone else that is going on a cruise of 3 days or more.

It's not letting me edited this post but....

EDITED: I read and wrote this post while still half asleep... sorry. I know realize what it says and am now not happy that it won't be available on my cruise!

It's not letting me edited this post but....

EDITED: I read and wrote this post while still half asleep... sorry. I know realize what it says and am now not happy that it won't be available on my cruise!

It's not clear to me either and I'm on your cruise!:eek: It sure sounds like it does not apply to us?:confused:

Just re-read it and it looks like we're blacked out. No big deal and I'm sure we're gonna have a great cruise!:D

Edited by *Luv2Cruz*