Ultimate Beverage Program

wizdiz

Just an FYI to those thinking about the program. I signed up and after 2 days when I noticed I wasn't drinking anywhere near enough I was about to go to the service desk and void this out. I was only charged for the drinks I had gotten up to that point.

I did get a call from the head bartender as to why I cancelled. My response was as a solo traveller not being able to buy anyone else a drink even if I asked to be charged for the drink was a deal breaker.

My entire weeks room charge ended up costing way less then the program alone even after 2 specialty restaurants.

Interesting report, thanks. How many days was your cruise?

I am surprised that they won't let you charge drinks to your account for other people. I gathered from some other threads that you couldn't order a round of drinks on the same ticket with only one covered by the UBP, but I assumed that they could put it through as two transactions. I suppose you could always say "Hey, can I buy you a drink? But first, here's a list of the drinks I get for free. You have to pick something that's not on the list, so I can pay for it…" :rolleyes:

Lots of design and implementation issues with this package.

I'm surprised they let you cancel as it states that it is non refundable~ happy for you they did though~

The reason you can't buy for others is it also states that you can't share the package and by buying drinks for others, you are.

Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable

I am surprised that they won't let you charge drinks to your account for other people. I gathered from some other threads that you couldn't order a round of drinks on the same ticket with only one covered by the UBP, but I assumed that they could put it through as two transactions. I suppose you could always say "Hey, can I buy you a drink? But first, here's a list of the drinks I get for free. You have to pick something that's not on the list, so I can pay for it…" :rolleyes:

Wow, I hadn't heard that. What are the design and implementation issue with the package? It's been around a while now and I haven't heard of these issues?

It was a 7 day cruise. Odd thing was I tried to get around it by ordering a drink not included and they refused.

The real reason you can't buy drinks for others and pay for them is there is no way with the current POS system to sparate purchases that are for you or for others. All qualifying purchases would be zeroed out on the onboard account.
That could be part of it, but then why should they refuse to serve a drink that's not included in the UBP and that won't be zeroed out? If I want to order 10 drinks like that, they should be delighted to ring them up. "Sharing the package" is a non-issue in this situation.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had a similar experience recently. I wonder if this is really NCL policy or if maybe the OP just had bad luck with their bartenders. Anyway, I'm glad that they were able to back out of the package and I hope their feedback will be taken seriously.

The real reason you can't buy drinks for others and pay for them is there is no way with the current POS system to sparate purchases that are for you or for others. All qualifying purchases would be zeroed out on the onboard account.

This was not my experience on the Jewel this past September. Eligible drinks were tendered to the UBP, not reversed or "zeroed" later. Additionally, we had no trouble buying a drink or two for others and charging to the same shipboard account...

I wish the cruise lines would get smart and instead of offering a Unlimited

Beverage Package - offer instead a fixed drink package i.e. you would be

able to get 5 drinks each day of the cruise for a discounted price of $35.00

(less the grats&tax if any). So you would get 5 drinks at average cost of $7.00.

Your sail & sign card would be billed $35.00 each day of the

cruise whether you drank or not. In most cases this would cover a morning

Bloody Mary/Screwdriver a noon time cocktail/wine and leaving three drinks

for dinner - 2 wines/cocktails and a after dinner speciality drink/coffee.

Sold individually one could share his drinks as he wished since he would have

only -5- to play with. When the -5- are used/exhausted the individual is on

his own ticket. No double occupancy cabin rules.

Would be easy to manage since more cruise lines have the drink cashier

registers linked directly to the individual sail & sign account. When the person

has bought the -5- daily drinks the register machine will not allow any more

drinks on the pre-paid account.

If that sounds complicated simply sell drink tickets to be used at the individuals

choosing.

And I wish they would get rid of the silly extra charges for exotic drinks.

Sell ALL drinks at the same price or if that is a real problem then sell two

levels of tickets. Really add 2ounce of fruit juice and the drink price doubles !

But I would suppose that the cruise management bean counters would veto

any of my ideas least they not get their greedy profit - so the pirate in me

says get all you can by hook or by crook. Rum runners hoist your skull and

crossbones flag there will be drinking on the dead mans chest !

If the cruise lines would get away from the UNLIMITED concept and think of

set fixed numbers it would be a big plus and make a great deal more peace

with non-drinking cabin mates or minors on sodas.

Come on cruise companies GET REAL in REAL TIME !

I wish the cruise lines would get smart and instead of offering a Unlimited

Beverage Package - offer instead a fixed drink package i.e. you would be

able to get 5 drinks each day of the cruise for a discounted price of $35.00

(less the grats&tax if any). So you would get 5 drinks at average cost of $7.00.

Your sail & sign card would be billed $35.00 each day of the

cruise whether you drank or not. In most cases this would cover a morning

Bloody Mary/Screwdriver a noon time cocktail/wine and leaving three drinks

for dinner - 2 wines/cocktails and a after dinner speciality drink/coffee.

If the cruise lines would get away from the UNLIMITED concept and think of

set fixed numbers it would be a big plus and make a great deal more peace

with non-drinking cabin mates or minors on sodas.

Come on cruise companies GET REAL in REAL TIME !

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL IDEA!!!

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Amazing. For years there were literally hundred of posts asking NCL to please add an unlimited drink package. NCL finally listened and now the posts are "it's not the package I want, please change it to suit me"!! I don't get it? There is an unlimited drink package, beer and wine package, wine package and unlimited soda. Not enough?;)

Amazing. For years there were literally hundred of posts asking NCL to please add an unlimited drink package. NCL finally listened and now the posts are "it's not the package I want, please change it to suit me"!! I don't get it? There is an unlimited drink package, beer and wine package, wine package and unlimited soda. Not enough?;)

Well said we always did AI and did not cruise untill now because we had friends with stories of 1400.00 bar tabs on 7 day cruises. When we saw a fixed cost alt we are taking the plunge

I'm unhappy with the blackout periods.

I agree! You can't make a package suitable for everyone. Normally, I carry on wine (and pay the corkage), and DH buys his buckets of beer. We had to squeeze 7 of us and our luggage (plus case of water) into the minivan, and we decided to go with the package, and not bring wine. We got our monies worth!

If we didn't have the package, our bar bill would've been lower that what we paid for the package, because we would not have consumed as much, paying OOP. I LOVED not having to worry about paying for it later, and it enhanced our week.

"it's not the package I want, please change it to suit me"!! I don't get it? There is an unlimited drink package, beer and wine package, wine package and unlimited soda. Not enough?;)

I have termed this phenomenon "Typical American Entitlement Syndrome" or TAES for short...

For years there were literally hundred of posts asking NCL to please add an unlimited drink package. NCL finally listened and now the posts are "it's not the package I want, please change it to suit me"!! I don't get it?
The UBP is the first version of a commercial product. It was not handed down from heaven by angels. It has flaws. It's much better than nothing, and they've ironed out a lot of the initial glitches, so many people now have a good experience with the package. I'm very happy for them and I hope to be one of them. But if others are still running into unforeseen problems, I am interested in hearing about it.

The OP is not rehashing the same old complaints about the stated terms of the package that everyone knowingly agrees to; in his case they applied an additional restriction that is not explicitly stated anywhere. Why shouldn't he give a heads up to other potential customers and constructive feedback to NCL? I don't get it?

The OP is not rehashing the same old complaints about the stated terms of the package that everyone knowingly agrees to; in his case they applied an additional restriction that is not explicitly stated anywhere. Why shouldn't he give a heads up to other potential customers and constructive feedback to NCL? I don't get it?

I don't think that PP was responding to the OP, but others who want more of a discounted coupon system.

LOL! We were hoping to try the plan out on our next cruise and were disappointed to discover that it wouldn't be available.

Guessing your going on a Spring Break cruise?? Never been available then and can't imagine what that would be like if the Spring Breakers had unlimited booze. Wouldn't want to be on that ship!!!:eek:

Guessing your going on a Spring Break cruise?? Never been available then and can't imagine what that would be like if the Spring Breakers had unlimited booze. Wouldn't want to be on that ship!!!:eek:

However, it could be one of the most profitable cruises ever. Think about it. A ship full of college kids, too drunk to know where they are. The ship cruises out 40-50 miles, drops to idle speed and just sits for 7 days. The savings on fuel would be huge. :D

Just returned from NCL and had the UBP. Cliff notes:

• Package allows premium spirits, but mass confusion onboard as to what brands are included and are not. I tried ordering some that were listed as $8.50 and thus included in the amount for Spirits but was told that because the total with gratuity was over $8.50, it was not included
  • Had to get the Head Bartender involved on several occassions due to above confusion and ended up carrying around his pager/phone number and the UBP info sheet with the pricing listed as to what is included
  • Aside from above annoyances, great selection of drinks and spirits included, and I pushed the boat out and tried many different things knowing that if I hated it - well - it's ok, it's not like I blew $8 or $10 on it!
  • Wine selection excellent. Some 35-40 wines by the glass that are included. Very stong part of the program compared to Royal (house plonk only) and Holland (also house plonk only).
  • No bottled water or coffee beverages as you know. Bummer. I missed that versus Celebrity's quite awesome packages
  • The wine machines including those in the Studio Lounge are NOT included in the UBP. I got confirmation from Bar Manager on this point. Reason being? They cannot monitor use (makes sense) so you could be pouring wine all night for others and abusing package.
  • I gave out $1 tips liberally to "good" bar staff. My service experience was outstanding. I hate to say it, but these folks will reward the folks that reward them. A small gesture to say 'thanks' goes a long long way. I was often enjoying generous pours and even one or two "off package" libations courtesy of a friendly bar staff member

All in all? I'd rate NCL's UBP the second best in the business- after Celebrity. Royal is playing catch up with the awful policy of house plonk (and it's almost undrinkable) and Bud / Bud Light only. Unless you drink cocktails, Royal's package is weak - but I hear big changes are coming.

Holland - they are evaluating, last time I tried a few months back the package was very restricting - no coffees, no bottled water, no nice wine.

Princess - new beverage package will rival Celebrity's from what I know so far.

But NCL - not bad. Throw in coffees and bottled waters and you've really got an ULTIMATE beverage package :))

We are doing the 11 day southern Caribbean so I doubt it will be filled with the typical Spring Brakers. Maybe they could limit the packages during those times to those over 25 - a bit like the rental car companies?