Ship Nurses

MT_DreamChaser

I went to the nurses station for some tylenol and asked about it while I was there... I did not get details on pay...but I was told that you need at least 1 year of experience (preferably more) in either ICU or Emergency Room. You sign up for 6 month contracts...

That's all the information I have...im sure others have more.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but another medical question came up. I've noticed the doctor's "office" hours are VERY limited. I know he/she is on call 24/7 but what do they do when office isn't open. Doesn't seem to me that there would be THAT much paperwork involved for what they actually do.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but another medical question came up. I've noticed the doctor's "office" hours are VERY limited. I know he/she is on call 24/7 but what do they do when office isn't open. Doesn't seem to me that there would be THAT much paperwork involved for what they actually do.

There are also crew clinic hours, and then there is the water testing and record keeping required by the CDC/USPH. They also perform, process, and track the crew's drug/alcohol testing. There is also training of the medical teams for emergency duties. But I wouldn't say that the medical staff's hours, unless there is a noro outbreak, are that strenuous.

There are also crew clinic hours, and then there is the water testing and record keeping required by the CDC/USPH. They also perform, process, and track the crew's drug/alcohol testing. There is also training of the medical teams for emergency duties. But I wouldn't say that the medical staff's hours, unless there is a noro outbreak, are that strenuous.

Thanks for continuting to post here! I enjoy reading all your posts. The sharing of your cruise ship knowledge and past experiences behind the scenes is invaluable.

A recent addition to the doctor's duties is that he/she now offers "spa" services as well such as teeth whitening, botox and other fillers which must be performed or supervised by a doctor. That consumes a bit of his/her time as well but like you said not a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for info on the job in general. Hours, expectations, salary, etc from someone with experience. I had a nurse friend ask me if I know anything and aside from what little I can find on the Carnival website, I know nothing.

Having worked as a Ships nurse in the past. Don't go for the salary...lol but the experience is amazing...

it's not the easy breezy job one thinks! Aside from 3am calls for Tylenol, there are many emergencies behind the scenes too, I have even had to assist with cracking a chest on the floor of the disco!! Airlifts, lots of codes and crew trauma. Minimum is 2-3 yrs exp with ICU, ER and surgery too is a benefit.

ACLS is mandatory of course.....

Great experience, I think every nurse should try it out....

A recent addition to the doctor's duties is that he/she now offers "spa" services as well such as teeth whitening, botox and other fillers which must be performed or supervised by a doctor. That consumes a bit of his/her time as well but like you said not a lot.

they took that stuff away from the spa???? That is surprising.

Never understood why people would go to someone on a ship to do this when they have no clue as to their experience or training.

and of course if a problem arises the following week what do you do?

Having worked as a Ships nurse in the past. Don't go for the salary...lol but the experience is amazing...

it's not the easy breezy job one thinks! Aside from 3am calls for Tylenol, there are many emergencies behind the scenes too, I have even had to assist with cracking a chest on the floor of the disco!! Airlifts, lots of codes and crew trauma. Minimum is 2-3 yrs exp with ICU, ER and surgery too is a benefit.

ACLS is mandatory of course.....

Great experience, I think every nurse should try it out....

Just curious on a ballpark figure of a months pay? Also, I think cross training and experience as a paramedic would go a long way. Sounds like an adventure and resume builder for sure! Only tough part would be if you had family, it would be hard to leave for 3-4 months at a time.

Just curious on a ballpark figure of a months pay? Also, I think cross training and experience as a paramedic would go a long way. Sounds like an adventure and resume builder for sure! Only tough part would be if you had family, it would be hard to leave for 3-4 months at a time.

Actually 6-8 months is the length of the contract.

On NCL, it just said 10 weeks, followed by a 7 wk break. But maybe it's 2 cycles per contract? Maybe they are different depending on the line?

Wow strange schedule. Would be intersting for a contract but dont think i would want to be away from everyone as a career.

I can't help you with salary as it was several years ago when I did it.

I know the contracts are 6months on and 2 months off.

I had family onboard as guests a couple of times since it can be 6 months without a full day off.....(you may be off for a day, but then be on call that night depending on schedule) so better suited for a single person.

Need to be prepared to have experience to work independently, as you can be first on call for any emergent event... But again, well worth the experience!

I can't help you with salary as it was several years ago when I did it.

I know the contracts are 6months on and 2 months off.

I had family onboard as guests a couple of times since it can be 6 months without a full day off.....(you may be off for a day, but then be on call that night depending on schedule) so better suited for a single person.

Need to be prepared to have experience to work independently, as you can be first on call for any emergent event... But again, well worth the experience!

Wow! Interesting. And I double checked, it said 14 wks on, 7 off. But still a little different. Def more of a one woman show for sure!

they took that stuff away from the spa???? That is surprising.

Never understood why people would go to someone on a ship to do this when they have no clue as to their experience or training.

and of course if a problem arises the following week what do you do?

I am with you..but the no smile or expression, big lip and fake white teeth look..is just weird to me too...sarah

Edited by sjn911