Ship Nurses

MT_DreamChaser

I can't help you with salary as it was several years ago when I did it.

I know the contracts are 6months on and 2 months off.

I had family onboard as guests a couple of times since it can be 6 months without a full day off.....(you may be off for a day, but then be on call that night depending on schedule) so better suited for a single person.

Need to be prepared to have experience to work independently, as you can be first on call for any emergent event... But again, well worth the experience!

I think the salary is in the $4000-5000/month range, but it varies by line, since most of the medical dept are hired by staffing services. Length of contract varies as well, and the contracts have shortened to attract more people. Even at NCL, there is variation between the international ships and the POA, as I think the international ships are 4 months on and 2 off, where the POA is 10 weeks on and 5 off. Realize that you are not getting paid for the months off, so the annual salary is only for about 8 months. Doctors are in the $60,000 annual range.

Was hired this year to be on the Dream, had I not found the great job I have 2 miles from home, I'd currently be at sea. Email me for info, as mine is all firsthand, and I see lots of bad info. Only thread that's correct is one early on about icu/ER experience, and a lot of it!

If you have say 4 months on and 2 months off guess you need to maintain a home someplace so harder to make ends meet on what the ship is paying you.

Surprised DR will make so little, would have thought closer to say 10M per month.

I have had to use the Clinic several times. Once for an infected boil. The Doc was an Aussie. She had her family with her, and they were seeing the world. Her next contract was for Asia I think. Or Europe. She saw me the first day...did the dirty work of getting it clean herself...then saw me every day until the cruise was over. Just for a second. Meds included. My bill was $150 dollars. I thought it was the co-pay. No. it was the bill. Ever since I get Med. Insurance on the Net. Insure My Trip.

The Nurses were Britt. Wonderful folks.

Second time..RA. The doctor was French. A dreamboat. originally from Columbia. I am an older woman, so I could enjoy his good looks and charm without guilt. The young ladies...if they knew what was down in the clinic....and he was single.

He was a fantastic doctor. Gave me two pain killing shots..non steroids. letter to Doctor. My doc was impressed. Nurses..............totally nice.

One time I had to go for a minor issue,..and the Doctor was giving the crew immunization shots.

The Doctor who had her family also said that after cruising, when they went home, she hoped to buy her a house. Houses are auctioned off down under and they are expensive. So she had saved a hunk of money. Ditto Hubby who took care of the kids...home schooling etc. She was having a good time. I sort of envied her.

I looked into the schedule involved in ship nursing - it may vary by line and also whether you are the senior nurse on crew. But from what I found it seemed to be a schedule only a young person could manage. Work day involved a short shift (can't recall if it was 4 hours on or 6) a 2 hour rest break and then 10 hours on after that. I don't know if that was every day, but must have been often enough that it was listed in the job description.

12 hour shifts are the norm now in most hospital settings, but you are only on duty 3 or 4 days a week - ships crew don't have so many full days off.

I looked into the schedule involved in ship nursing - it may vary by line and also whether you are the senior nurse on crew. But from what I found it seemed to be a schedule only a young person could manage. Work day involved a short shift (can't recall if it was 4 hours on or 6) a 2 hour rest break and then 10 hours on after that. I don't know if that was every day, but must have been often enough that it was listed in the job description.

12 hour shifts are the norm now in most hospital settings, but you are only on duty 3 or 4 days a week - ships crew don't have so many full days off.

Wonder how that translates into hours per week. Someone must be on call 24 -7 for emergencies.