Always Check For Reduction In Rates

My family will be on the Mariner of the Seas on July 24, 2005. A few weeks ago I check the rates and they had went down a significant amount. I called my TA and she returned my call and said that RCI was giving me a discount of $420 per stateroom (we booked two inside rooms). I just checked the rates again today and noticed another reduction and called the TA again and she got us an additional discount of $344 per stateroom. I feel like I have won the lottery!!

If it hadn't been for the CruiseCritic boards I would have never known to keep checking rates as often as daily. Today's discount was a one day only special! LIFE IS GOOD!!!:D

I always check on Expedia ... I booked my cruise through a TA but the prices on Expedia are the same as everyone elses .. same as RCI. If I notice a price reduction I either called my TA or emailed her and within 10 mintues she gives me a call back (after she calls RCI to verify) and lets me know that I will be getting a refund for the difference.

It certainly does pay to watch those prices. I remember my first cruise before I discovered these boards. Like a lot of people, I just booked my cruise and forgot about it, and my TA at the time never mentioned anything about possible price drops. With my next 2 bookings, I got smarter and for my present cruise, I checked almost daily for price drops. I went on line and monitored the prices of both the internet agency I booked with and one or two others who were comparable in price. It saved me a big chunk of change. :D

My family will be on the Mariner of the Seas on July 24, 2005. A few weeks ago I check the rates and they had went down a significant amount. I called my TA and she returned my call and said that RCI was giving me a discount of $420 per stateroom (we booked two inside rooms). I just checked the rates again today and noticed another reduction and called the TA again and she got us an additional discount of $344 per stateroom. I feel like I have won the lottery!!

If it hadn't been for the CruiseCritic boards I would have never known to keep checking rates as often as daily. Today's discount was a one day only special! LIFE IS GOOD!!!:D

Could you please tell me where/how you check to see the rates for cruises. We are going on one next Oct. and would be great to know when prices are down. Thanks

I just found out that my balcony stateroom is half the cost when we booked the cruise Expedia is saying we can not get a reduction............can anyone help

If you have not already made final payment, find out what Expedia will charge to cancel your booking. Then re-book with another agency. If you have already made final payment, then the price you saw for half off your cost may be a "flash promotion", whereas most TAs will not give you a break here.

So does that mean I don't have to wait until Carnival's one day sale (this coming Thursday) to book my cruise? Can I book now to make sure I get a cabin, and then just call back Thursday to get any upgrades or on-ship credits that come as part of the one-day sale? Or do upgrades and on-ship credits not work that way as well?

Leo .. from what I understand ... from RCCL anyway ... that the one day specials are for new bookings only. Now the residential specials (that I have seen on Expedia) should be honored no matter if you have have made final payment or not. Hope this helps.

I just found out that my balcony stateroom is half the cost when we booked the cruise Expedia is saying we can not get a reduction............can anyone help

andyandy, i hate to beat a dead horse with the TA thing, but this brings up another reason why booking with a TA would hugely benefit you in this case.

For example, if you had booked that through a TA and you had not yet made your final payments and the price that you found was not a flash promotion or a promotion for "new bookings only" I or any other reputable TA would glady get that price reduced for you, guess this is where the lack of customer service comes in by booking online.

Dont mean to offend you by posting this, i just wanted to explain things a bit to you from a TA point of view

andyandy, i hate to beat a dead horse with the TA thing, but this brings up another reason why booking with a TA would hugely benefit you in this case.

For example, if you had booked that through a TA and you had not yet made your final payments and the price that you found was not a flash promotion or a promotion for "new bookings only" I or any other reputable TA would glady get that price reduced for you, guess this is where the lack of customer service comes in by booking online.

Dont mean to offend you by posting this, i just wanted to explain things a bit to you from a TA point of view

I'll give you better advice for next time with RCCL - book directly with RCCL and skip the TA. As prices go down, call RCCL and they will reduce the fare for you. This will happen even after final payment unless its advertised as a flash promotion. Even if it says for new bookings only, I would still call and ask. Out of three "passenger direct bookings" with the cruiseline, I received lower fares on two after final payment.

Peter

I'll give you better advice for next time with RCCL - book directly with RCCL and skip the TA. As prices go down, call RCCL and they will reduce the fare for you. This will happen even after final payment unless its advertised as a flash promotion. Even if it says for new bookings only, I would still call and ask. Out of three "passenger direct bookings" with the cruiseline, I received lower fares on two after final payment.

Peter

ITA. I did this with RCCL in May. We booked directly through them. I checked prices and when they went down, RCCL credited us $630 per stateroom (after final payment)! :)

Ok... I would like someone to help clarify this refund. Can someone tell me if I would qualify for a refund with these circumstances?

The wife and I booked a Carnival cruise yesterday directly with a Carnival agent. (cruise date: 2/5/2006)

We recieved an assigned room, because of our resident discount this was required. Cat 8a , balcony

The regular listed price was $2107.84

Our discounted price was $1807.64

We don't expect to have this paid in full until November.

If we are to find that the fare is lower than the regular price of $2107.84 will we qualify for the price difference refund applied to our discounted rate?

The reason I ask is that the way it was explained to us, we could only receive one discount (we chose the Ohio resident). The other discounts available were a $100 ship credit but we were told we could not combine the 2 discounts. So the way I look at is if we were to book at the lower rate we would still be receiving the Ohio resident discount. Does this make sense? :confused:

Thanks in advance..

I would like to say that I'm fiding these boards most helpful, but I'm confused about when you could get a reduction. We just booked on Explorer of the Seas for June 25, 2006, so our final payment is due next April. Do I need to look for reductions starting now? (We booked directly with RCI because I had a gift certificate that I got using my credit card reward points and I had to book directly.) Is the rate likely to go back up after it goes down and are reductions most likely to occur after the final payment is due?

I'd appreciate any help.

Peachymom,

Not sure about any restrictions associated with the discount voucher/coupon but you should check the "fine print". If there are none I would just check RCI's web site occasionally or whenever you get online to see if price has dropped since I do not believe RCI will contact you. Rate reductions seem to be more dependent on how well the particular cruise is selling so the may happen at any time. Have a great cruise.

Frank

I would like to say that I'm fiding these boards most helpful, but I'm confused about when you could get a reduction. We just booked on Explorer of the Seas for June 25, 2006, so our final payment is due next April. Do I need to look for reductions starting now? (We booked directly with RCI because I had a gift certificate that I got using my credit card reward points and I had to book directly.) Is the rate likely to go back up after it goes down and are reductions most likely to occur after the final payment is due?

I'd appreciate any help.

I would just check the website regularly (like at least once a week) to check the price and then if you notice a change, call RCCL directly.

I love bargains so it is exciting to hear of the cost savings some of you have experienced after booking your cruise. My question is, has anyone ever had the price drop on the aft corner cabin (FV). We have this reserved for a cruise next year. I do go back and check Celebrity's website but it shows it as "sold out". Since the aft cabins are desirable and there are so few "FV" cabins, I wonder if I stand a chance of seeing my price drop. Of course, we are thrilled :) to have this cabin but if I could have this cabin AND save money, that would be even greater! Comments? :confused:

I guess I don't get it. When I book a cruise I shop for the best price, if I find a price I am willing to pay, I book it, if there is a price reduction later I ask for it, but I really don't expect to get it, if I don't get it, oh well, I was willing to take the cruise at the original price so I'm certainly not going to let it spoil my cruise. The big factor for us isn't necessarily the cruise price but since we must fly across country to any carribean cruise it also involves the airfare. Which has the same problem, I have sat next to people who have paid way more, or way less than I have. It's basically the same thing with a cruise. If you get your vacation for what you are willing to pay, anything else is just gravy.

I booked my cruise through Travelocity and got a great price. In fact, the price went up significantly and has stayed at least $300 more pp than I paid.

But here's my question, if (big if) I see the price drop, can I get the "discount" having gone through travelocity? Would I need to go through them or RCCL? Or is it just out of the question?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

For any price drop allowance, you need to go back to the agency that you booked your cruise with; local TA, on-line agency or direct with the cruise line. Rarely do any of them contact you! I always check with on-line discount agencies like icruise to see if prices are reduced in my Category, if cabins are remaining in that category and they are not just offering a guarantee cabin and if any perks are being offered. These discounts, refunds or credits can be found often after final payment when people or groups cancel bookings. Celebrity FV cabins as you mentioned are at a premium and always sell out fast. You probably should not expect to find a price reduction on that category but feel priviledged that you got a great cabin location at an acceptable price.

Example: I booked my Carnvial cruise the day before the Carnival one day sale: Our +55 yr. old discount was lower than their one-day price for the same category. I wanted a particular available cabin so I bought it. I did not receive the one-day special on-board credit or tour perk. Today the same category is $250 per person more. Now next week after final payment is due, I will continue to check. There are still a lot of good cabins left in the same category down the hall. Maybe I can save more!

Bon Voyage

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question ,we will be going on our second cruise in Oct. Our first was on RCI and we got a price reduction from them. So far none on Carival although our friends did.Senior discount past cruiser etc. But my question is what is their one day sale and h ow do you find out about it? Also I read someone said they got a resident discount,what is that? I found out too late about the military discount but I know in the future to ask for it. Our TA didn't mention anything baout discounts

Archived