MiniSuite Balcony vs SJ Family Suite

LindaMarie55

Which cabin would be preferable for a first time cruiser? My husband and I are confirmed on the Dawn in a MA Mini Suite Balcony 11086 but can upgrade to an SJ Family Suite for an additional $25.

The bigger living and dining area with butler and concierge sounds great but SJ does not include a balcony. Listing shows a "wall of windows"

Not sure what that means and if it is worth it.

Any opinions would help, please?

Thanks in advance!

Which cabin would be preferable for a first time cruiser? My husband and I are confirmed on the Dawn in a MA Mini Suite Balcony 11086 but can upgrade to an SJ Family Suite for an additional $25.

The bigger living and dining area with butler and concierge sounds great but SJ does not include a balcony. Listing shows a "wall of windows"

Not sure what that means and if it is worth it.

Any opinions would help, please?

Thanks in advance!

SJ looks like a lovely suite and has lots of luxurious amenities, however, the one thing it doesn't have that the mini suite does.........a balcony. The mini suite may not have the perks but it has the balcony which is what we love.

It's always your choice though...

Have a wonderful cruise no matter which one you choose.

Cheers,

Edited by B6ConMe

We have been on cruises with balconies ... when we booked to go on Star at a short notice (Jan 2012) they had a SJ cabin available at a good price ... we did notice it didn't have balcony ... but to h3ll with it, we booked it ... turned out we loved it and the suite perks ... didn't miss the balcony one bit ... we sat on sofa, drinking and enjoyed the sea view thru the floor to ceiling and side to side windows.

One morning we were docking in Costa Maya and the seas weren't calm at all and it was so interesting to watch the captain doing a fantastic job manoeuvring to dock the inside berth in difficult windy conditions. We saw it all.

We would do it again (booking the SJ in either Dawn or Star) when the itinerary and time of year calls for it. The open deck is feet away on same deck as pool or some stairs up to deck 13 ...

When we went on the Dawn earlier this year it was also a short booking but the SJs weren't available so we booked an inside on same deck and area ... and LOVED it.

Go Deck 12 ... on Star and Dawn !!!

Edited by bluesea777

Take the SJ! It is well worth it! If you don't mind my asking when is your sailing on the dawn? At that upgrade price I might need to be making a phone call for a friend. The open deck is literally right down the hall, we are booked in the Deluxe Owners Suite on the dawn another suite with no balcony only wall of windows. We also debated not having a balcony and decided with our monkey of a 3 year old we did not want a balcony and knowing that we could go up one deck to a hot tub and sun deck was perfect for us or walk right down the hall for ice cream and the buffet as well as the main pool deck.

You can't even begin to compare mini-suite and a real suite - even when the latter doesn't have a balcony. Those two cabin types are so very different because of the space and perks. The sun deck is just a hallway away from SJs and you can easily climb one set of stairs to deck 13 to get out on the deck even quicker (we sailed in SJ on Dawn's sister ship, Star).

To me, best perks that come with suites are the priority embarkation and disembarkation (it's especially nice to sit down in the lounge and have snacks while waiting to be able to get onboard if one arrives early to the port - we do ;)), priority tendering (from the ship, not back) where the ship tenders and of course, the best perk of them all (to me): suite breakfasts (and lunches) in Cagney's - I could eat steak and eggs from the grill plus fresh fruits and berries from the cold buffet for breakfast pretty much everyday while onboard, also the salmon appetizer during lunch is to die for. :D

Edited by Demonyte

We book minis because we can afford them. I like the balcony too. But If could get a $25 upgrade to that wall of windows family suite, I'm there! Saw one on a cabin crawl. Take it in a heart beat. Sitting by that wall of windows watching the sea, ooh I so want to be there now. If I got stuffy looking out, just go out onto an eposed deck somewhere not far from your room.

Take the SJ. For $25 the suite perks are SO worth the upgrade. When your close to sailing check the prices and see if you can upgrade to a Penthouse. You'll still have suite perks and get a balcony. Don't pass up the SJ for $25. It could be gone quick.

Thanks guys!! We're excited about the extra perks!

I waited til this morning and the price is now $130 versus the $50 from last night. But I went ahead and confirmed it anyway.

In case anyone else is interested in upgrading, it is the Norwegian Dawn on Dec 8th.

Be sure to take advantage of all the suite perks....use your butler and concierge, go to the reserved section of the theater if you arrive late,

gain early admittance to the chocoholic buffet extravaganza, etc...

We did as you did...had a nice MA minisuite on the Dawn, and when the priced dropped after final payment, we received a complimentary upgrade to an SJ.

We also received a bonus.....they gave us double Latitude points, enough in fact to push us into the Platinum tier on our next cruise.:)

Edited by bob brown

You won't regret it. Balconies are nice, but the visibility you will get from your "wall of windows" will put the visibility you'd get in a balcony room to shame.

Sure it's nice to step out and get fresh air when you want to. But it's also nice to lounge on your bed or the sofa and get a panoramic view without having to step outside to see it.

Plus the perks, of course!

You won't regret it. Balconies are nice, but the visibility you will get from your "wall of windows" will put the visibility you'd get in a balcony room to shame.

Sure it's nice to step out and get fresh air when you want to. But it's also nice to lounge on your bed or the sofa and get a panoramic view without having to step outside to see it.

Plus the perks, of course!

th?id=H.5000365291930750&w=238&h=173&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7