Always Check For Rate Reductions

How do you go about proving a price reduction when there are no more rooms available in your category. I was online this morning at the RC website and one room was available in our category (which was previously sold out), so I started a reservation on it to see what the price was, and it came up about $1000 lower than what we paid!!! Can I call RC about this when they open (even if the room is no longer available) or am I out of luck.

I have been watching this thread with interest. A few weeks ago I learned from this site that you could call and ask for price reductions and was given a $200 cabin rebate. Now it looks as though the prices are much less again than I paid,so I called yesterday to RCCL- (I booked direct thru them) and was told that the price changes were for 'Guaranteed' cabins only- i.e. you are given a reservation but don't know until you arrive where it will be. We are in a 3 berth inside cabin,so the price is unchanged. Apparently it is for 2 person reservations only..... ? why. It is obviously for what is unsold at this late date. (July 31st sailing)

Had I realised that having a cabin #assigned made a difference of about $300 more per person,I think I would have gone with the 'guarantee' idea.

After all, an inside cabin is still an inside cabin no matter where it is located- right? TA.... advise please.

Well, I just called RC, and I'm a little annoyed. I noticed that there was one room left in our category, and checked the price on it this morning. It was a total of $1685 less than what we paid. They explained to me that this was a special "Happy Hour" rate and was only good on new bookings, however, they could give me a $100 credit because the prevailing rate had gone down that amount. Now I'm happy for any money back, but $1685 vs. $100. I guess it pays to not plan ahead and book your cruise at the last minute!!

We are in a 3 berth inside cabin,so the price is unchanged. Apparently it is for 2 person reservations only..... ? why. It is obviously for what is unsold at this late date. (July 31st sailing)

Had I realised that having a cabin #assigned made a difference of about $300 more per person,I think I would have gone with the 'guarantee' idea.

After all, an inside cabin is still an inside cabin no matter where it is located- right? TA.... advise please.

I don't think they do guarantee rates for 3 people because there are usually not very many "3 person" cabins left, so they can't "guarantee" you will get one. Every cabin on the ship holds at least 2, so they can easily give you anything that doesn't sell. Not so if there is a requirement for 3 in the room.

And as far as location.. the tendency is for middle of the ship cabins to be more desirable, even if they are inside. They are closer to everything, in the broad sense, if you are in the middle then you aren't too far from anything, and perhaps more importantly, the middle of the ship has less motion in rough weather.

Theron

Well, I just called RC, and I'm a little annoyed. I noticed that there was one room left in our category, and checked the price on it this morning. It was a total of $1685 less than what we paid. They explained to me that this was a special "Happy Hour" rate and was only good on new bookings, however, they could give me a $100 credit because the prevailing rate had gone down that amount. Now I'm happy for any money back, but $1685 vs. $100. I guess it pays to not plan ahead and book your cruise at the last minute!!

1sttime, I think you have asked and answered your own question! ;)

I will admit that the new bookings only rates are annoying... however, note your second sentence: "I noticed that there was one room left in our category". The tradeoff in booking early is that you get to choose from many more cabins available which one you want, and you won't lose it!

The closer you get to sailing, the less likely the best cabin locations are available. It would be just as easy, if not more so, for your entire category to be sold out by now.

So... it's all about tradeoffs. But one thing you can say, now that you know, you will be better prepared to make that decision (when to book) in the future!

Theron

Been glancing here and there on this thread and checking for price drops on our Sept 4th sailing on Explorer.

Well....after seeing some pricing going up and down on interior, window and balcony rooms......my JS finally dropped.

I called RCCL and they told me I had to call my TA. I sent an email off to my TA asking about a shipboard credit for the $400 dollar difference. I figure that would cover have of our bar tab. In the mean time this morning I look at price on the GS and see I can spend less than $400 dollars more than what I have already been billed......so what the heck....

I called and left ( very early) message with the TA to upgrade to a GS.

I went for the GS for $369 more dollars.

Okay, I an now confused on this changing of prices.

I booked a cabin and picked a set cabin, due to a health problem, needed a room near the elevators. From what I am reading, it seem that some can get price reductions, but I am not sure it if is for set rooms, or not. From what I have gathered, guarrenteed doesn't mean a guarrenteed set room, just the opposite in fact, just that you will get a room in the type you want, i.e. oceanview.

I haven't paid the final payment yet, and the last time I looked which was about a month ago, it was sold out, the whole ship in fact was sold out.

I am going to be on the Enchantment, Nov 12th, deck 3 #3612. The cost was $578 pp (with insurance). I paid a deposit of $200, will be paying the balance on Sept 13th, at the latest.

Will I be able to get a cheaper price? Could I even get a room with a balcony? Dream on, right?

thanks for any help.

Jly

Is it way too early for me to be checking on a drop in cost? I don't sail till next July. Thanks.

I asked the same question as my cruise is a Med cruise for Aug.2006

I was told to start checking around January

We are booked on the Jewel for the 10/12/05 sailing. The link you provided shows some specials on 'Balcony' cabins but nothing in the last column. We are booked in a GS. I'm not sure if they consider that balcony or not??:confused:

Archived