Which formal night is MORE formal on a 7+ day sailing?

JenniLynn

I know it always seems like one of the "formal" or "elegant" nights is more "formal" or "elegant" than the others. It seems like more people go all out on one night more than the other. I'm trying to make my "what to wear when" list for our cruise in 2 weeks and I can't remember which night is which... You'd think after 13 cruises I would have these details memorized, but alas, I do not!

Thanks!!

I have always been told that the *first* elegant night is the more so of the 2. The first one is considered the Captain's night, when you meet the officers and when they use to have the Captains cocktail party. The second elegant night is more of a farewell party.

• 2 months later...

Just got off of the Pride and the first Elegant Night was more formal just because more people were dressed up than the second. The second is the second to last night and people are sun burnt or just burnt out, but the formal is formal. A LOT of people dressed up. Be prepared, but pack light if that's a concern and have fun! :D

My observation is that people tend to dress up a little more on the FIRST elegant night.

By the time the second elegant night rolls around, usually the next to the last night of the cruise, people sem a little more relaxed style-wise.

I agree with this. At least, that's how we felt on both legs of our recent B2B.